What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Hmmm.

I don't know if Utah's part of it.

But I could see UA & ASU. Then, maybe 16 via SDSU. Would be a big deal for SoCal connection for CU, UA, ASU and also BYU (huge tabernacle in $$$ La Jolla). Student recruiting, boosters & sports recruiting. Quality football and great basketball

Plus it gets ESPN the content it needs. Obviously SDSU is PTZ, but even when AZ Time is aligned with MTZ the weather there makes night games preferable (or even necessary) so they're like PTZ schools for this purpose.

Hmmm.

But I could see UA & ASU. Then, maybe 16 via SDSU. Would be a big deal for SoCal connection for CU, UA, ASU and also BYU (huge tabernacle in $$$ La Jolla). Student recruiting, boosters & sports recruiting. Quality football and great basketball

Plus it gets ESPN the content it needs. Obviously SDSU is PTZ, but even when AZ Time is aligned with MTZ the weather there makes night games preferable (or even necessary) so they're like PTZ schools for this purpose.
I would stomach the whole move a lot more with some Cali connections - lets us play in Florida, Texas and California

I do not see UO staying in the PAC on a 100% streaming deal even if ESPN could buy games. AZ basketball would complain too.
I think Arizona's gotta go. There are too many reasons for them not to-starting with being able to put their basketball program up against Kansas, Baylor, Houston, K-State, and the rest of the hoops heavyweights in that league.

Frankly, Oregon probably has to move as well. You want your football team playing 8-10 games a year on a streaming platform that casual fans might not add?

Hmmm.

Couldn't you tell SDSU we'll give you $18M (pulling that number out of my head) and then subtract their exit fees off that?

Couldn't you tell SDSU we'll give you $18M (pulling that number out of my head) and then subtract their exit fees off that?
If media partners are willing to give them a full share, I think you pay their exit fee and deduct it from their payouts over 3-5 years.

I do not see UO staying in the PAC on a 100% streaming deal even if ESPN could buy games. AZ basketball would complain too.
Why is everyone assuming the 100% apple applies to basketball? Couldn't that be non exclusive or not even on apple at all.

And one notable tweet:

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't this tweet essentially saying that a condition precedent for any deal is 10 teams? Wouldn't it behoove the Pac12 ("9" and soon to be "8") to add a few teams before they start signing any deals? In other words whatever "deal" is being presented might not even be possible by next year, right?

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't this tweet essentially saying that a condition precedent for any deal is 10 teams? Wouldn't it behoove the Pac12 ("9" and soon to be "8") to add a few teams before they start signing any deals? In other words whatever "deal" is being presented might not even be possible by next year, right?
I think the idea would be to sign the deal and then add teams. Presumably part of the SDSU fiasco was that no deal could be agreed upon, so there was nothing for them to actually join

Are Flugaur and McMurphy hinting that Oregon and Washington are getting their golden ticket? Going to be pissed if so,but CU has only themselves to blame. If this plays out as the 4 corners to the B12 and UW/Oregon to the B1G it'll pretty much be what the networks have telegraphed and tried to orchestrate for the last year ever since the P12 didn't take the kill shot on the B12 after OU and UT bailed.

I think the idea would be to sign the deal and then add teams. Presumably part of the SDSU fiasco was that no deal could be agreed upon, so there was nothing for them to actually join
Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Why is everyone assuming the 100% apple applies to basketball? Couldn't that be non exclusive or not even on apple at all.

That is for ALL sports. The conference might have the flexibility to put non revenue sports on free platforms. And ESPN can pick up spots.

And UA basketball will not be on ESPN 100%. In cases like this each school will be capped in the number of times they could appear on ESPN.

Take a look at UA’s MBB schedule and tell me if this Apple TV deal will work. (Answer is no)

Last edited:
Are Flugaur and McMurphy hinting that Oregon and Washington are getting their golden ticket? Going to be pissed if so,but CU has only themselves to blame. If this plays out as the 4 corners to the B12 and UW/Oregon to the B1G it'll pretty much be what the networks have telegraphed and tried to orchestrate for the last year ever since the P12 didn't take the kill shot on the B12 after OU and UT bailed.
B1G expansion unlikely. A lot of the messaging about them getting the parachute is coming from their PR people, not from any credible B1G sources. Those schools don’t add more $$$ to the bottom line of member schools.

B1G expansion unlikely. A lot of the messaging about them getting the parachute is coming from their PR people, not from any credible B1G sources. Those schools don’t add more $$$ to the bottom line of member schools.
I think B1G could be buyers in a depressed market.

The AZ BOR meeting tomorrow is of the 1/2 hour variety, so say the sports speakers-on-air waves.

They think it's a slam dunk vote to move from the sinking ship, based on meeting length.

It could be they are just confirming the appointment of a new secretary, based on meeting length.
Arizona needs a new Treasurer, sounds like they are hard to keep...

Don’t think there is a minimum number but given the fact that FBS football conferences must have at least eight members to sponsor the sport, you can view 10 as the minimum. The less schools the bigger the Apple TV checks will be per team and also more unequal the payouts could be.

And that deal also requires the schools signing the GOR as well. Will UO & UW sign that GOR right now?

Oregon with a reduced share could be OK. It would hurt UDub more.
Reduced, yes, but by how much? Is Phil really going to make up a $50-$60m/year gap? I say that because fox has no reason to direct them to the B1G for even a half payout when they could probably direct them to the B12 for $31.7m. Of course, the wild card would be if they wanted to keep UO and UW away from ESPN, but then it still comes down to the B1G actually agreeing to it which doesn’t sound like they care to do at this point.

Definitely a lot of "ifs" in that reported offer.

If you stay, and by "you" we mean 2 schools. (I'm sure the other 7 loved being told that the stacks the leverage to that degree on which schools will get the feature games & will dominate the unequal revenue share.)

If you can land these other schools under these terms. We're giving you $70M and you keep what you don't spend paying exit fees ($34M in MWC, $10M + up to $15M for not giving 27 months notice). With a reduced share, it will be years to realize a Net ROI even if the Pac provides significant help with exit fees. Then, this deal for the G5 is subject to renegotiation if certain members leave. That said, I think all the G5s would take that deal so they could have hope of establish themselves as commanding a seat at the table in future realignment.

If you can grow your brand and promote your university well enough to reach your boosters and university donors, engage your fans, attract recruits for your sports teams, and drive university applications via 100% subscription app without slipping on those things, then it's a great deal. This, I think, is the one that will cause the Athletics Directors and Presidents/Chancellors to choose another option if they have one. It makes for a selection of the Big 12 an easy sell to Regents or Trustees and primary boosters + corporate sponsors (their investments are keyed to positive and broad brand exposure). I believe this was the thing that drove CU's disgust at Pac-12 Football Media Day much more than the media dollars or that those numbers weren't fully baked out.

Definitely a lot of "ifs" in that reported offer.

If you stay, and by "you" we mean 2 schools. (I'm sure the other 7 loved being told that the stacks the leverage to that degree on which schools will get the feature games & will dominate the unequal revenue share.)

If you can land these other schools under these terms. We're giving you $70M and you keep what you don't spend paying exit fees ($34M in MWC, $10M + up to $15M for not giving 27 months notice). With a reduced share, it will be years to realize a Net ROI even if the Pac provides significant help with exit fees. Then, this deal for the G5 is subject to renegotiation if certain members leave. That said, I think all the G5s would take that deal so they could have hope of establish themselves as commanding a seat at the table in future realignment.

If you can grow your brand and promote your university well enough to reach your boosters and university donors, engage your fans, attract recruits for your sports teams, and drive university applications via 100% subscription app without slipping on those things, then it's a great deal. This, I think, is the one that will cause the Athletics Directors and Presidents/Chancellors to choose another option if they have one. It makes for a selection of the Big 12 an easy sell to Regents or Trustees and primary boosters + corporate sponsors (their investments are keyed to positive and broad brand exposure). I believe this was the thing that drove CU's disgust at Pac-12 Football Media Day much more than the media dollars or that those numbers weren't fully baked out.
That's the thing. This deal was always going to be unequal revenue share to favor UO and UW (maybe Utah) AND give them all the leverage to where every other program was just waiting for them to leave and get ****ed just like what happened with SC and UCLA.

It was probably wishful thinking on our part to ever believe this conference had a chance to warrant a better media deal than the Big 12 (once the Big 12 took what was on the table)

Hmmm.

My god nik, what is your love affair with sdsu? It is a nothing school in area that could care less about cb. I lived there and no one gives a sh** about sdsu. The stadium s further away from campus than Hughs stadium was from csu. Please don’t tell me recruiting because that’s bs.

Yes I know it was from MHver. That $30 million (or 40 mil if UA leaves) is extra money to be divided up among the remaining P8/P9 members. So $4 mil extra per school if UA leaves. On top of the base of $20 mil per school. So up to $24 mil per school if UA leaves, not taking into account giving more to UO/UW and less to some others.
I understood it as $20M minus office and production costs per school. It sits at around $17.8M with equal shares for 9 schools.

It sounds like Apple will pay the conferenct $70 million and all schools will get a share, which would include CU. But what's confusing about that tweet is by saying "on the hook" it makes it sound like the schools would owe something, not the other way around.
Wait a minute. I thought SMU rich oil boosters were going to pay the $70 million?

Back