What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU-UCLA Game Thread! Espn 2 5 PM MT

On a positive note, this opener couldn't setup any better for Noyer. First start against a terrible D (113th) that lost a couple of their decent players from last year. He should have an opportunity to make a few plays. Lets hope Chev and company put him in a position to do some damage, while not asking him to do too much.
I'd feel better about that stat if we managed more than 283 yards of offense a year ago.

Trujillo moving to safety while being listed at 165 seems interesting

I like the depth chart on defense, maybe scheckler will be right and we'll have a stout defense

offense.. meh? QB + skill position guys just doesn't seem impressive, but maybe some will surprise

What do we think? Fontenot being out is a lil scary.

Some takeaways I had:
  • RB - I think it's a positive that Broussard is listed as the 1 with Fontenot out. I would have been comfortable with Mangham so Broussard being theoretically better than that is surprising. I still think we see a RB by committee w/Fontenot, Mangham, and Broussard most of the year.
  • WR - Worried a bit about outside WR. Arias needs to meet his potential this year for that group to meet most folks expectations. I'm happy to see KD not being brought to the slot. We have real prototypical slot guys which KD is not.
  • OL/TE - Nothing new here but depth at OL and TE is scary past the starters and Kanan Ray. A few injuries or Covid to that group and we'll look really bad fast.
  • Really solid front 7 on defense with depth
  • CB - I was already high on CB depth but I feel even better with the depth chart. At the end of last year I would have guessed our starting CB's for this year were Chris Miller and KJ Trujillo. The fact they were comfortable enough with the depth to move KJ to a backup safety role and Miller to the Star says a lot about the group.
  • Star - Miller has had a history of injuries and putting him in a high contact position worries me.
  • Safety - Depth is an issue. If you have a situation where Trujillo is starting or playing significant snaps at safety when he is 165 lbs soaking wet I'll be worried. The kid is tough so I don't worry about that but it is a matchup nightmare.
  • True Freshman - Spring ball hurt the true freshman a lot I think. Surprised to see Clayton behind Joe Davis but I think that is more to not knowing the offense well enough yet. Harris not on the depth chart at all but Michalowski made a comment that he just needs to add weight and strength yesterday.
If we can keep the safety position in good shape this defense should be really good this year. Offense could be a hot mess with a couple injuries or bad QB play. With a healthy line, mediocre QB play, and good play calling (a lot of caveats) we should win some ball games.

Clearly Broussard has made a pretty big leap, which is a nice surprise. Having 3 RBs who can play (when Fontenot is healthy) is something this program hasn't had in a while.

Brendan Rice is going to be a beast

Keith Miller not listed as TE, but I assume he's going to be in that Flex TE position in various personnel packages

Christian Gonzalez arguably the most important recruit from 2020 class and proving that by grabbing the starting job among a somewhat experienced group.

Front seven is going to be good. Plenty of size and depth. Getting consistent pressure on the pass rush is going to be tough without scheming it up with blitzes, unless Guy Thomas ends up being providing that pass rush ability.

I really like the first team OL and hopefully they will get all five back to go with another year of development for some of the younger guys and maybe a transfer.

Overall, the best roster top to bottom since 2016. If this staff can actually coach and develop, they should have enough talent over the next 2-3 years to win.

Clearly Broussard has made a pretty big leap, which is a nice surprise. Having 3 RBs who can play (when Fontenot is healthy) is something this program hasn't had in a while.

Brendan Rice is going to be a beast

Keith Miller not listed as TE, but I assume he's going to be in that Flex TE position in various personnel packages

Christian Gonzalez arguably the most important recruit from 2020 class and proving that by grabbing the starting job among a somewhat experienced group.

Front seven is going to be good. Plenty of size and depth. Getting consistent pressure on the pass rush is going to be tough without scheming it up with blitzes, unless Guy Thomas ends up being providing that pass rush ability.

I really like the first team OL and hopefully they will get all five back to go with another year of development for some of the younger guys and maybe a transfer.

Overall, the best roster top to bottom since 2016. If this staff can actually coach and develop, they should have enough talent over the next 2-3 years to win.

Outside of QB, this could be a better roster *top to bottom* than 2016. That team had serious talent but lacked depth.

I like the defense and this needs to be the norm going forward-true freshmen playing significant roles is a good thing.

The OL depth still looks rough, even for next season. Unless a couple guys make big leaps in the next year, it is going to be a major hindrance going forward.
Hopefully the shortened schedule can help with tackle depth. Sucks to see johnson hurt on the line, he would be a good depth piece but atleast lee and Wray are more physically ready to step in than we are used to in terms of recruiting.

By next season, yes. I don't know if he has sufficiently recovered from his surgery to be that guy now. He didn't look physically ready in late Spring, but I haven't bumped into him since then.

Yeah, not expecting much this season. Just need to walk the high wire at OT for seven games.

Wray is the guy we need to be the first guy off the bench at OT by next season IMO.
Are you holding out any hope that Senn's development will put him in a position to provide quality competition and/or depth this year and beyond? Assuming Sherman comes back in 2021, having a two deep of Sherman/Wray at LT and Fillip/Senn at RT seems pretty good, assuming Senn is that guy.

Are you holding out any hope that Senn's development will put him in a position to provide quality competition and/or depth this year and beyond? Assuming Sherman comes back in 2021, having a two deep of Sherman/Wray at LT and Fillip/Senn at RT seems pretty good, assuming Senn is that guy.

I have hope Senn is a 2022ish depth piece when he is an upperclassman.

I have hope Senn is a 2022ish depth piece when he is an upperclassman.
Sounds like a low bar, unless I'm reading this wrong. He's currently the backup RT, has the size, has received praise for work ethic and weight room gains (about all we can go off of with little media coverage/practices). What am I missing?

I wonder if our LG isn't the backup LT on this team. He's played some tackle, iirc. That spot looks scary, even if the young guys are making progress.

Sounds like a low bar, unless I'm reading this wrong. He's currently the backup RT, has the size, has received praise for work ethic and weight room gains (about all we can go off of with little media coverage/practices). What am I missing?
Duff is going to need to see a guy with such little experience actually play before thinking he's anything more than a JAG. Frankly that's fair.

I just listened to the interview with Chev today. He absolutely glowed about Broussard. A lot of coach speak, but between Hagan and Chevs comments, I get the sense that Broussard would have been running number two behind Fontenot if Fontenot was healthy and probably would have passed him at some point. We shall see how this progresses, but Chev and Hagan are throwing a lot of compliments his way.

Last edited:
I just listened to the interview with Chev today. He absolutely glowed about Broussard. A lot of coach speak, but between Hagan and Chevs comments, I get the sense that Broussard would have been running number two behind Fontenot if Fontenot was healthy and probably would have passed him at some point. We shall see how this progresses, but he and Hagan are throwing a lot of compliments his way.
Hell yes! I love college teams who can spread the wealth with talented backfields. Off the top of my head: '04 Auburn, '05 Texas, '06 Arkansas, '17 Georgia

Back