What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Curt Cignetti HC James Madison University

GoBuffs18

Club Member
Club Member
One person I haven’t seen anything on (or really heard much about before) is Curt Cignetti at JMU. He has a good amount of P5 experience, has been a part of a program turn around before (with Saban at Alabama), was recruiting coordinator at NC State when they brought in Phillip Rivers and Russell Wilson as QBs, was Saban’s recruiting coordinator at Alabama, over 10 years of head coaching experience, and is leading one of the best offenses in the FBS this year (JMU’s first in the FBS). He’s 61 so you have to think if he wants a P5 job and was given an opportunity he’s not someone that would necessarily jump for something better.

Attachments

• 894F869A-8714-4C04-8C88-C8ABA91CEE9E.png
    894F869A-8714-4C04-8C88-C8ABA91CEE9E.png
    281.9 KB · Views: 21
I had thought about him. He's done a hell of a job. Dude can flat out coach. Also was the guy Saban hired to be his recruiting coordinator when he took the Bama job.

I would have no objections to this hire.

Agreed would seem like a solid hire although he has always coached in the East. But with a good staff that can easily be overcome

THIS is the guy.

NC State (Wolfpack QB GOLDEN age)​

Cignetti joined Chuck Amato's new staff at NC State in 2000. The 2002 team set a school record with 11 wins. In 2003, Cignetti coached Quarterback Philip Rivers, the ACC Player of the Year. In seven seasons, the Wolfpack participated in five bowls, winning four. In 2006, Cignetti recruited future Super Bowl champion quarterback Russell Wilson to the Wolfpack before joining Nick Saban's new staff at Alabama.

Alabama (Nick Sabans BLOOD)​

Cignetti was an original member of Saban's Alabama coaching staff in 2007, serving as wide receiver coach/recruiting coordinator. The 2008 team finished the regular season 12–0 and the 2009 team finished 14–0 and won the national championship. The Tide won 29 regular season games in a row between 2008 and 2010. Cignetti coached wide receiver Julio Jones and recruited Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram II and linebacker Dont'a Hightower, all members of the 2008 recruiting class, which featured six first-round NFL Draft choices.

IUP (Trash into TREASURE)​

IUP had a 4–10 conference record prior to Cignetti's arrival in 2011. In his first year as head coach, the team won 6 of its last 7 games, by an average of 28 points per game, to finish 7–3. In 2012, The Crimson Hawks won the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference and advanced to the NCAA Regional Finals, finishing 12–2. Cignetti’s 2013 team finished 9–2 and he led IUP to the NCAA playoffs in both 2015 and 2016. His 2016 team finished 10–2. Cignetti finished 53–17 at IUP with three NCAA playoff appearances and two conference championships. On December 31, 2016, he accepted the head coaching position at Elon University.

Elon (Trash into TREASURE 2.0)​

The Elon team had had a 4–20 conference record and suffered through six straight losing seasons prior to Cignetti's arrival, but in his first season the squad won eight games in a row after an opening season loss to MAC Champion Toledo. The Phoenix were ranked as high as 6th nationally, played James Madison for the conference championship and were selected for the NCAA Playoffs for the first time since 2009. Cignetti was named CAA coach of the year and was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson National Coach of the Year. In 2018, Cignetti led the Phoenix to a 27–24 win over James Madison, ending JMU's 22-game CAA Football winning streak and then FCS-best 19-game home winning streak. The win marked Elon's first over a top-five FCS opponent.[2] The Phoenix earned back to back NCAA playoff appearances for the first time in program history.

James Madison (Can you say WINNER)​

Curt Cignetti was named Head Football Coach at James Madison on December 14, 2018. In his first season, Cignetti led the Dukes to a seven game improvement over 2018, finishing 14–2 and an appearance in the 2020 National Championship. 2021 saw the Dukes play two seasons, spring and fall whle claiming two Conference Championships and appearing in two National Semifinal contests. JMU went 19-3 in '21 and announced a move to the Sun Belt Conference effective Fall '22.

**** it lets ride.

I think he's under a pretty long-term contract. I know we're not talking P5 buyout money, but I'm skeptical of CU being willing to pay any kind of buyout.

If we move that to the side and assume it's not an obstacle, Cignetti is in my top group of candidates.

I think he's under a pretty long-term contract. I know we're not talking P5 buyout money, but I'm skeptical of CU being willing to pay any kind of buyout.

If we move that to the side and assume it's not an obstacle, Cignetti is in my top group of candidates.

Looks like he now makes $650,000 and was extended through 2027 so if we bought out the full contract at the end of this year it would be $2,600,000.

THIS is the guy.

NC State (Wolfpack QB GOLDEN age)​

Cignetti joined Chuck Amato's new staff at NC State in 2000. The 2002 team set a school record with 11 wins. In 2003, Cignetti coached Quarterback Philip Rivers, the ACC Player of the Year. In seven seasons, the Wolfpack participated in five bowls, winning four. In 2006, Cignetti recruited future Super Bowl champion quarterback Russell Wilson to the Wolfpack before joining Nick Saban's new staff at Alabama.

Alabama (Nick Sabans BLOOD)​

Cignetti was an original member of Saban's Alabama coaching staff in 2007, serving as wide receiver coach/recruiting coordinator. The 2008 team finished the regular season 12–0 and the 2009 team finished 14–0 and won the national championship. The Tide won 29 regular season games in a row between 2008 and 2010. Cignetti coached wide receiver Julio Jones and recruited Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram II and linebacker Dont'a Hightower, all members of the 2008 recruiting class, which featured six first-round NFL Draft choices.

IUP (Trash into TREASURE)​

IUP had a 4–10 conference record prior to Cignetti's arrival in 2011. In his first year as head coach, the team won 6 of its last 7 games, by an average of 28 points per game, to finish 7–3. In 2012, The Crimson Hawks won the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference and advanced to the NCAA Regional Finals, finishing 12–2. Cignetti’s 2013 team finished 9–2 and he led IUP to the NCAA playoffs in both 2015 and 2016. His 2016 team finished 10–2. Cignetti finished 53–17 at IUP with three NCAA playoff appearances and two conference championships. On December 31, 2016, he accepted the head coaching position at Elon University.

Elon (Trash into TREASURE 2.0)​

The Elon team had had a 4–20 conference record and suffered through six straight losing seasons prior to Cignetti's arrival, but in his first season the squad won eight games in a row after an opening season loss to MAC Champion Toledo. The Phoenix were ranked as high as 6th nationally, played James Madison for the conference championship and were selected for the NCAA Playoffs for the first time since 2009. Cignetti was named CAA coach of the year and was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson National Coach of the Year. In 2018, Cignetti led the Phoenix to a 27–24 win over James Madison, ending JMU's 22-game CAA Football winning streak and then FCS-best 19-game home winning streak. The win marked Elon's first over a top-five FCS opponent.[2] The Phoenix earned back to back NCAA playoff appearances for the first time in program history.

James Madison (Can you say WINNER)​

Curt Cignetti was named Head Football Coach at James Madison on December 14, 2018. In his first season, Cignetti led the Dukes to a seven game improvement over 2018, finishing 14–2 and an appearance in the 2020 National Championship. 2021 saw the Dukes play two seasons, spring and fall whle claiming two Conference Championships and appearing in two National Semifinal contests. JMU went 19-3 in '21 and announced a move to the Sun Belt Conference effective Fall '22.

**** it lets ride.
That was persuasive

I keep hearing he's too old...

Saban is 70... Cignetti is 62, if we get 8 years of WINNING football. It's worth it.

@RK had some thoughts on this guy (nothing you can't see in @FLounder 's wiki post up above) but persuasively laid out:

He's right- this is the dude. He should be the first call. I'm sold.

Someone is gonna get this guy and be very happy.

One thing I didn't mention in this clip that really impressed me is how he was able to change his offense and adapt. He had mostly been running a heavy run scheme but last year, all of his RBs got hurt so he changed things up and got big into RPO which ended up being a blessing because I dont think they would have been able to bully teams in FBS like they did in FCS.

Now, hes stuck with it and has Todd Centeio, who looked incompetent at CSU, tearing up the Sun Belt. 900 yards, 11 TD, 1 INT. Also 279 yards and 2 TDs on 44 carries.

Saban had 4 national titles and wasn’t coaching in the Sun Belt at age 62.
My point was old head coaches can still win. Plenty of examples.

I don’t believe we are in a position to discriminate against one’s age.

My point was old head coaches can still win. Plenty of examples.

I don’t believe we are in a position to discriminate against one’s age.
"Too old" or "too young" should not be a consideration.

Also, regional geographic background is completely overrated and should not be a consideration for a HC. (It matters for position coaches for recruiting, but not for HC and coordinators.)

His HC experience is very impressive. I can see intrigue here.

However, his experience at the P5 level was over 12 years ago. A lot has changed since then. He's not a KD, but that large of a gap away from P5 football gives me KD vibes.

Edit: This program in the worst way needs someone who can fire up the fan base and boosters. I don't know that you get that with Cignetti.

Last edited:
There are ways to do it, too. I remember that UF gave CSU a big scheduling payday as comp for Sparkles.
Yes, please. Youngest is a freshman at JMU now. Considering we have Jack for leverage. I'd enjoy making the trip to Harrisonburg to watch the Buffs!
Fun little town for sure.

Not sure if it was his extension contract, but I thought I had read his buyout is $1.5 million if he leaves for a P5 program.

Not sure if it was his extension contract, but I thought I had read his buyout is $1.5 million if he leaves for a P5 program.
Buyout wouldn’t be a big deal especially since I doubt he would command a large contract. Would offset a buyout with a lower annual salary

Back