What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dana Holgorsen - HC West Virginia

The only issue I see is if CU had to pay his buyout and will have to pay close to 4 million a year. Not sure what would be in line with assistant coach salaries. Otherwise, if wvu is dumb enough not to fight for him, this would be close to as good as it could get

Last edited:
I don’t think you understand how RG works.

Do you?

The guy has never hired a head college football coach. We run the risk of being used by bad actors. Lots of people thought that Gundy was looking to leave Okie Lite last year after graduating a record breaking QB. He just wanted more money. I think Holgerson is in the same boat.

Do you?

The guy has never hired a head college football coach. We run the risk of being used by bad actors. Lots of people thought that Gundy was looking to leave Okie Lite last year after graduating a record breaking QB. He just wanted more money. I think Holgerson is in the same boat.
Count me among those skeptical that any head coach would want to leave a relatively successful P5 program for another P5 program with one winning season in the last 12.

Do you?

Used is a strange word. It's not that hard to give a guy a day or two of negotiations and then cut him loose if he's unwilling to sign. I don't think RG will get played like Bohn did with the life championship guy.

Count me among those skeptical that any head coach would want to leave a relatively successful P5 program for another P5 program with one winning season in the last 12.

that would be one perspective. certainly based upon facts...

but, the table is set, there is upside, and we can pay. i don't know why we wouldn't make the inquiry.

I don’t like this hire for a number of reasons....some of which I will keep to myself, but what I will say is I have heard in coaching circles, Dana is not well respected. A lot of the reasons for that are probably similar to why WV is growing tired of him.

I don’t like this hire for a number of reasons....some of which I will keep to myself, but what I will say is I have heard in coaching circles, Dana is not well respected. A lot of the reasons for that are probably similar to why WV is growing tired of him.

interesting. i had heard that he rubs some folks the wrong way. but, not a lot more than that.

who do you like for the gig?

For **** sakes, guys. We are worried that certain coaches might be leveraging CU for a raise, so CU shouldn’t even entertain them? This coaching hire will not be made by the last AD. Most here act like the the head coach who just got fired.

All good HC’s rub certain people the wrong way. It’s a good thing

I’m looking at Holgerson or Lake. With the offensive guys we have; somebody has got to give Montez a chance to do something other than play pitch and catch with Viska. They also need him to get the underneath routes that have been there all year and for God’s sake get a line coach that can get the fundamentals right. Lake as a defensive guy would definitely help the corner/safety issue going on. Those guys have to be flat exhausted for the last 6 weeks. He would need a good OC to take care of the situation. We saw what Muschamp did in Fla. Defense was good but the O was atrocious.

Do you?

I kind of know Rick, though we haven't discussed this hire at all.

Earlier this week I spoke with one of our non-football coaches. He was pretty clear that no matter what happens in Rick's career moving forward, this will be the thing that defines him, and he's quite aware of that. Furthermore, he suggested that he would have identified his short list quite some time ago, and built the necessary foundations, so that when this thing happens, it shouldn't be particularly public.

We're worried about Dana leveraging CU for a raise at WVU. But where is Dana's name being floated? Maybe by ESPN, and maybe from Dana. Do you think that came from CU's AD? It's a weird hypothetical that we're getting bent around.

I kind of know Rick, though we haven't discussed this hire at all.

Earlier this week I spoke with one of our non-football coaches. He was pretty clear that no matter what happens in Rick's career moving forward, this will be the thing that defines him, and he's quite aware of that. Furthermore, he suggested that he would have identified his short list quite some time ago, and built the necessary foundations, so that when this thing happens, it shouldn't be particularly public.

We're worried about Dana leveraging CU for a raise at WVU. But where is Dana's name being floated? Maybe by ESPN, and maybe from Dana. Do you think that came from CU's AD? It's a weird hypothetical that we're getting bent around.

The same place where all the names are coming from: asses. I hope you’re right!

Cut Dana some slack...it's his first HC job and he might have learned from his mistakes.

Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia HC

FORGET WHAT I SAID ABOUT DINO BABERS, HOLGORSEN is target #1. He was mentioned by ESPN as a possible top candidate, and it’s easy to see why. The dude just knows how to score points. He’s brash, confident in his players, and aggressively balding. Dana has been successful in a conference in which he is far from the geographic base (like CU with the Pac-12) and has plenty of experience recruiting Texas. I’m telling you right now, Montez and Shenault with Holgo as a play-caller leads to a division title contending team next year. This would be a slam dunk easy hire, but it’s hard to see why he would leave WVU.

https://www.ralphiereport.com/color...288/who-is-colorado-footballs-next-head-coach

A comment in another thread suggested Dana might want to bail because it's his stud QB's last year. Well, if he's as awesome as he's made out to be, surely he has recruited a potential replacement or two, right? After searching, it doesn't look that way. It wasn't scientific or anything, but one site makes it look like he may have a JC QB transfer who has potential, but his others are nationally ranked around 450 in their respective classes.

What may be more telling is WV's overall class ranks in the past few years. This year's class sits at 35 right now. From '17 back, they are 57, 39, 35, 39, 30, 35. Other sites surely differ, but I wonder who would be satisfied with those rankings at CU? Not me.

interesting. i had heard that he rubs some folks the wrong way. but, not a lot more than that.

who do you like for the gig?
I am not sure yet....I liked the idea of Miles. Need to spend some time digging into the viable options before forming an opinion

A comment in another thread suggested Dana might want to bail because it's his stud QB's last year. Well, if he's as awesome as he's made out to be, surely he has recruited a potential replacement or two, right? After searching, it doesn't look that way. It wasn't scientific or anything, but one site makes it look like he may have a JC QB transfer who has potential, but his others are nationally ranked around 450 in their respective classes.

What may be more telling is WV's overall class ranks in the past few years. This year's class sits at 35 right now. From '17 back, they are 57, 39, 35, 39, 30, 35. Other sites surely differ, but I wonder who would be satisfied with those rankings at CU? Not me.
It tells me his teams outperform their recruiting rankings which is a sign of good coaching.

Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia HC

FORGET WHAT I SAID ABOUT DINO BABERS, HOLGORSEN is target #1. He was mentioned by ESPN as a possible top candidate, and it’s easy to see why. The dude just knows how to score points. He’s brash, confident in his players, and aggressively balding. Dana has been successful in a conference in which he is far from the geographic base (like CU with the Pac-12) and has plenty of experience recruiting Texas. I’m telling you right now, Montez and Shenault with Holgo as a play-caller leads to a division title contending team next year. This would be a slam dunk easy hire, but it’s hard to see why he would leave WVU.

https://www.ralphiereport.com/color...288/who-is-colorado-footballs-next-head-coach

If Holgorsen's floating rumors about leaving WVU, talk to the man.

If he's just trying to leverage, fine, but don't be so dumb as to not talk to a guy for fear of being used as bait. Just don't be so eager that you fall for it like Bohn did.

Holgerson = Grundy.

The Mullet would take interviews every year or so to get more money or because Pickens was taking him for granted.

Sure, talk to the prettiest girl in school. Ask her to the prom. Just know that she’s just trying to make her boyfriend jealous. Don’t get too hopeful.

Probably one of the top 5 offensive minds in college football right now and has been for over a decade, so not just a "flavor of the month" with that. We're talking about the guy who figured out how to take Leach's Air Raid and turn it into physical football that can also dominate a team with the ground game.

Deep ties for recruiting TX & OK. If you're RG and he's interested, you have to have a serious conversation.

The one thing you guys who keep talking about Gundy are forgetting is that Gundy is coaching at his alma mater. I don't think the parallels between Gundy and Holgorsen are as exact as some of you are making them out to be.

Having said that, the one question I have about Holgorsen and recruiting is, while Morgantown is a long way from TX, they're guaranteed to play at least 2 games there a year. Boulder is a lot closer, but there's very little chance for a TX recruit to play games in front of the family.

Back