What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini - CU Interim Head Coach

buffs

2007Mt. San Antonio College: Wide receivers
2008Mt. San Antonio College: Co-offensive coordinator
2009UCLA: Special teams assistant
2010–2013Riverside City College: Associate head coach / Co-offensive coordinator / Special teams
2014Texas Tech: Special teams
2015Texas Tech: Special teams / Outside wide receivers
(2016–2018Colorado: Co-offensive coordinator / Wide receivers
2019-PresentColorado: Assistant Head Coach / Wide receivers/The Hero We Need

Colorado Profile

Last edited:
Darrin Chiaverini deserves a 30 minute standing ovation from every Buff past, present, and future. He deserves our respect and appreciation. He most certainly does not deserve **** talk from any of us.

The Buffalo Heart Award has been given to the player picked by the fans that sit behind the bench every year since 1998. Darrin Chiaverini was the first Buff to ever win the award, the award was created to honor Chev!

Now CU football stands in the breach, has been abandoned by a coach that had given us false hope. Who is filling that breach? Mr. Buffalo Heart himself, Coach Chiaverini! This man, Coach Chev, IS Colorado football.

I don’t know if Coach Chev will be the next HC of CU football. I don’t know if he is ready or if he deserves the job. What I do know is that he sure as hell deserves a goddamn coaching profile on this sight because as of right this ****ing second Coach Darrin Chiaverini, former CU WR, is THE interim Head Coach of the University of Colorado Golden Buffalo football team.

I'm liking the idea of promoting Chev the more and more I think about it. The man wants the job. He does a phenomenonal job selling the University. If you give him solid coordinators, he can definitely succeed.

I'm liking the idea of promoting Chev the more and more I think about it. The man wants the job. He does a phenomenonal job selling the University. If you give him solid coordinators, he can definitely succeed.
Give him solid coordinators? That’s part of the problem right there.

The thing I don't like about when we consider Buffs whose resumes don't measure up is that it puts many of us in a very difficult position.

How do we critique a candidate to avoid the idea gaining too much momentum without saying negative things about someone we really like, appreciate and root for?

After we did this the last time, I thought we agreed that we wouldn’t consider somebody just because they’re a Buff (when they’re not actually qualified).

I am very appreciative of Chev and think he’s an awesome closer. Is be ready to be the head honcho? Does anyone else in America think he’s ready to lead a P5 program? I have serious doubts even though I admire the guy.

The thing I don't like about when we consider Buffs whose resumes don't measure up is that it puts many of us in a very difficult position.

How do we critique a candidate to avoid the idea gaining too much momentum without saying negative things about someone we really like, appreciate and root for?
It’s a message board, you just sack up and say what you think (speaking generally, not directed at you specifically).

I love Chev, he’s been phenomenal when he gets to do what he’s good at and I hope he sticks around on the next staff. But I think he’d be a disaster as a HC.

Critique is fine if it is fair. **** talk like “he’d be a disaster as a HC” is bush league. I don’t think he has the background or has shown enough to be the HC, but he has shown enough to deserve respect.

After we did this the last time, I thought we agreed that we wouldn’t consider somebody just because they’re a Buff (they’re not actually qualified).

I am very appreciative of Chev and think he’s an awesome closer. Is be ready to be the head honcho? Does anyone else in America think he’s ready to lead a P5 program? I have serious doubts even though I admire the guy.
He's shown some things that suggests he's a leader. Plenty of head coaches succeed without the usual step of being a coordinator.

One scenario would be to have Chev take the helm and keep both coordinators. Both looked pretty competent.
Fill the DL and WR spot with upgrades, and perhaps another upgrade or two, using the budget savings.

But that last part is a challenge. Isn't going to convince big names to take that risk. Still can find upgrades.

Critique is fine if it is fair. **** talk like “he’d be a disaster as a HC” is bush league. I don’t think he has the background or has shown enough to be the HC, but he has shown enough to deserve respect.
Bush league how? Don’t be a baby.

Let me attempt to objectively break down Chevs candidacy after more thought into it.

In no particular order:

Here's what I like:
1) His passion for CU is obvious, and its a very important place to him. He played here, he met his wife at CU (IIRC), and his kids were both born in Boulder. When he talks about CU, its not the type of disingenuous bull**** Mel Tucker spent the last 14 months spewing.
2) Hes a great recruiter and salesman for the school, which an HC needs to be. He also comes off as a very outgoing, engaging dude.
3) These kids love him. They want to go to war for him. that's huge.

Here's what I wonder about-
1) does he have a plan to complete his staff if.he gets the job?
2) can he lead coaches? How does a Jay Johnson type handle him giving input on the game plan?

In short, here's where I am. He has earned the right to be considered. Do I want to hand the gig to him? No.

Yep, if you do head coaching right, the number one key is surrounding yourself with quality coaches. The head coaches main job is for organization, PR and media handling and fan and booster stuff.

He's shown some things that suggests he's a leader. Plenty of head coaches succeed without the usual step of being a coordinator.

One scenario would be to have Chev take the helm and keep both coordinators. Both looked pretty competent.
Fill the DL and WR spot with upgrades, and perhaps another upgrade or two, using the budget savings.

But that last part is a challenge. Isn't going to convince big names to take that risk. Still can find upgrades.
Again, is there another P5 program who would even consider hiring Chev for their HC position?

I’m sure there are ways to make the team functional. I cannot envision that team being one that would be on the road to a bowl. We’ve got to get ourselves out of thinking that a person is qualified for the head coaching job simply because they coach football at some level and love CU.

Chev’s a good dude. I admire his recruiting chops and passion for the University of Colorado. He’s not qualified to be the HC.

Again, is there another P5 program who would even consider hiring Chev for their HC position?

I’m sure there are ways to make the team functional. I cannot envision that team being one that would be on the road to a bowl. We’ve got to get ourselves out of thinking that a person is qualified for the head coaching job simply because they coach football at some level and love CU.

Chev’s a good dude. I admire his recruiting chops and passion for the University of Colorado. He’s not qualified to be the HC.

No (this is an unfair comparison but I'm going to use it anyway) but there wasn't a lot of outside interest in Dabo a decade a go either.....

He wears a flat billed hat. That is a major negative for me. Either no hat or curve the bill, for ****s sake you are a man now, you are over 40. Leave the flat bill **** to the kids.

P.S. I wouldn't not hire him over this but it is a big pet peeve of mine.

No (this is an unfair comparison but I'm going to use it anyway) but there wasn't a lot of outside interest in Dabo a decade a go either.....
Agreed...very similar resumes...little coordinator experience....but could recruit like a mfer...

After we did this the last time, I thought we agreed that we wouldn’t consider somebody just because they’re a Buff (when they’re not actually qualified).

He's not being considered just because he's a Buff. He's the Interim Head Coach. The players love him. He has recruited well to place where people have not had much success recruiting to in the last 20 years. He clearly wants the job, and he's likely out if he doesn't get it.

He doesn't get the job because of that. We have to hire the best candidate. But in my mind, those are all positive attributes that improve his candidacy for the job. We're in a unique situation here with the sudden departure of Tucker. The current circumstances likely demand that Chev is given more consideration than he may normally receive under other circumstances.

He wears a flat billed hat. That is a major negative for me. Either no hat or curve the bill, for ****s sake you are a man now, you are over 40. Leave the flat bill **** to the kids.

P.S. I wouldn't not hire him over this but it is a big pet peeve of mine.

Yeah...can’t possibly be a qualified head coach and wear a flat billed hat.
CBAA4F99-E991-4127-B9C2-BBC4952C7B5B.jpeg

I’m a little terrified at who Chev would be able to hire for a staff - he‘s worked with a lot of very mediocre coaches at CU and otherwise his experience consists of a couple years with some bad to average teams at Tech under Kingsbury and coaching junior college before that. Could he attract a talented staff?

If he doesn't get the job. Will he stay? Would he be willing to coach on EBs, or Sarks, or ???s staff? Would he feel jilted?

**** off, weirdo. You have some strange hard on for any former Buff and put them up on some pedestal, safe from critique.
People can express any opinion they’d like about the coach prospects on this message board. Quit trying to police everyone.

He's not being considered just because he's a Buff. He's the Interim Head Coach. The players love him. He has recruited well to place where people have not had much success recruiting to in the last 20 years. He clearly wants the job, and he's likely out if he doesn't get it.

He doesn't get the job because of that. We have to hire the best candidate. But in my mind, those are all positive attributes that improve his candidacy for the job. We're in a unique situation here with the sudden departure of Tucker. The current circumstances likely demand that Chev is given more consideration than he may normally receive under other circumstances.
He’s the interim HC because he was one of the highest ranked staff members left over from the previous staff.

What you list (being well-liked by players and a good recruiter) are not qualifications to be a head coach.

We’ve been down this road before. I really admire DC as a recruiter and fellow lover of the University of Colorado. He should not be a serious candidate for the HC position at Colorado.

If he doesn't get the job. Will he stay? Would he be willing to coach on EBs, or Sarks, or ???s staff? Would he feel jilted?

If it's EB or Sark or anyone else with offensive background, he needs to be elevated to OC again. Hed probably improve greatly as a coordinator.

Again, we're saying the same stuff about Darrin (minus the Surveyor esque stupid flat billed hat comment) that Clemson fans said about Dabo when he got that job. He deserves a chance to interview for the job, and I for one kind of like the idea of giving it to him if we can't get EB.

If it's EB or Sark or anyone else with offensive background, he needs to be elevated to OC again. Hed probably improve greatly as a coordinator.

Again, we're saying the same stuff about Darrin (minus the Surveyor esque stupid flat billed hat comment) that Clemson fans said about Dabo when he got that job. He deserves a chance to interview for the job, and I for one kind of like the idea of giving it to him if we can't get EB.
Hoping Chev has a Dabo-esque trajectory feels like a pretty big Hail Mary to me. The Dabo path is pretty uncommon.

Back