What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Derek Mason, Vanderbilt HC

A Mason hiring would lots of season ticket cancellations, and CU would get laughed at. RG isn't a stupid man. This won't happen.
Definitely better candidates out there but CU would not get laughed at for hiring Mason. Coordinating experience in the conference, western guy who is at a school everyone understands has serious limitations and could benefit from a change of scenery out of a job he probably shouldn't have taken in the first place.

Definitely better candidates out there but CU would not get laughed at for hiring Mason. Coordinating experience in the conference, western guy who is at a school everyone understands has serious limitations and could benefit from a change of scenery out of a job he probably shouldn't have taken in the first place.
I'm sorry, but whenever you hire away someone on a hots seat who's record is worse than the guy you just fired, you get laughed at.

He absolutely was on the hot seat going into 2018, and he appears to have hit the absolute bare minimum required to keep his job with that 6 win season. That puts him still on the hot seat going into 2019 by my calculations, especially with a new AD coming in next year.

https://www.anchorofgold.com/2017/12/11/16761518/yes-derek-mason-is-on-the-hot-seat-entering-2018
Yep. If that Tennessee game and score had gone the other way, he'd be nervously waiting to see who the new AD is and if he was getting fired. It is that tenuous for Mason at Vandy right now.

If Vandy hires an AD soon, Mason still might get canned this cycle. Vandy fans have discussed this on their boards.

Part of the reason I don't believe it's that far fetched to think any contact with Mason from RG, could very well be about him being brought on as a highly paid DC in the event he is fired.
Yup. It could very well be that Mason is looking for a nice spot to land. He could get back to the west, get paid a relatively high salary for a DC, and join a staff that would have a relatively long leash.

Part of the reason I don't believe it's that far fetched to think any contact with Mason from RG, could very well be about him being brought on as a highly paid DC in the event he is fired.
And I think that would get near universal support from CU fans.

I'd see that as a major home run hire and laugh at anyone who was worried he'd be leaving for a new HC job in a year or 2 after having success here.

Why? Assuming RG isn't dumb enough to actually hire him as HC, and Mason doesn't want to go the G5 route in the event he is fired, why wouldn't DC back out in the Pac 12 be a remote possibility?

RG is just randomly contacting coaches to fill out the assistant coaching staff as well? That's not comforting.

Nah, it is pretty far-fetched.
Most likely thing here is that Mason (or probably his agent) reached out to RG to express interest and RG was open to talking as part of his search & vetting process.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me at all if RG likes Mason (most people seem to) and had no problem with Mason & his agent using a CU job he wasn't gonna get to drive a positive narrative on the job he's doing at Vanderbilt.

Most likely thing here is that Mason (or probably his agent) reached out to RG to express interest and RG was open to talking as part of his search & vetting process.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me at all if RG likes Mason (most people seem to) and had no problem with Mason & his agent using a CU job he wasn't gonna get to drive a positive narrative on the job he's doing at Vanderbilt.
RG is also playing this extremely close to the vest. Wouldn't surprise me if he was fully on board with Mason / Mason's agent creating a distraction

He absolutely was on the hot seat going into 2018, and he appears to have hit the absolute bare minimum required to keep his job with that 6 win season. That puts him still on the hot seat going into 2019 by my calculations, especially with a new AD coming in next year.

https://www.anchorofgold.com/2017/12/11/16761518/yes-derek-mason-is-on-the-hot-seat-entering-2018
One guy writes what is basically an opinion piece about him being on the hot seat last year and that is proof? I haven’t seen anything from any national writers saying he is in trouble at all so I will go with that. And yes with the AD leaving it is probably a good time to get out of there so I don’t blame him.

One guy writes what is basically an opinion piece about him being on the hot seat last year and that is proof? I haven’t seen anything from any national writers saying he is in trouble at all so I will go with that. And yes with the AD leaving it is probably a good time to get out of there so I don’t blame him.
It's a reasonable opinion that a coach's job is tenuous when a coach has a losing record and a new AD is coming in.

It's a reasonable opinion that a coach's job is tenuous when a coach has a losing record and a new AD is coming in.
Yeah and it’s reasonable for me to completely ignore it until something comes out from someone reputable.

No way that Mason will be HC here. Becoming apparent to me that a coach will come from a team playing this weekend. Vandy is not.

Back