What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Favorite coaches (besides Tad)?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Which coaches are your favorites around the country?

Mine would be:

Chris Beard - TTU (gets more out of his talent than anyone, always has gritty teams - probably the guy more than anyone who would win big anywhere)

Ed Cooley - Providence (tough teams that always seem to peak at the right time, really interesting offense with angle passing inside 15 feet we don't see much these days)

Jay Wright - Villanova (love the way he coaches offense & think he changed the college game, just fun team to watch & he's as cool as it gets)

Beard would’ve been my first name.

Huggy Bear.

Porter Moser seems to have really got it figured out at Loyola.

Gotta say I respect what Calipari has done. He’s got it to the point where he says, you come here, you’re gonna be a first round draft pick

Leonard Hamilton

Least favorite is a toss-up between Bobby Hurley and Andy Enfield. I really like Dan Hurley though.

Beard would’ve been my first name.

Huggy Bear.

Porter Moser seems to have really got it figured out at Loyola.

Gotta say I respect what Calipari has done. He’s got it to the point where he says, you come here, you’re gonna be a first round draft pick

Leonard Hamilton

Least favorite is a toss-up between Bobby Hurley and Andy Enfield. I really like Dan Hurley though.
Huggy's teams play a great style. He's got enough offense to make a deep run this year.

The guy it was a crime neither of us mentioned is Mark Few. Every aspect of his team is so well coached every year. Damn machine.

Tony Bennett. His teams are always so well coached and he doesn’t seem to have an ego.

Mark Few. Just building Gonzaga into a national power is cool.

I despise Mike Krzyswevsky so much that I didn’t even look up how to spell his dumb name. He makes everything about him and he’s such a condescending prick.

Huggy's teams play a great style. He's got enough offense to make a deep run this year.

The guy it was a crime neither of us mentioned is Mark Few. Every aspect of his team is so well coached every year. Damn machine.
I’m required by being an alumni of a different WCC school to say Gonzaga sucks. That’s why I didn’t say him. I don’t care if they beat my school by 40 this weekend.

Porter Moser wasn't good at Illinois St in his 1st go-around as head coach, but learned a lot in the next 6 or 7 seasons under Majerus at SLU.

He's also a first class prick. And I say that as someone who actually likes Duke. He's nowhere near my list.
I've never met him, so I can't speak to his personality.

I know he's active in many charities, including the Coaches for Cancer. i know his ex-players generally speak highly of him. And I respect the trait of being able to admit when you're wrong -- recalling his prompt public apology a few years ago when he blasted that Oregon player in the presser after the tourney upset. He might be a prick, but it appears there are at least some mitigating factors.

but regardless, I'm going to place far more weight on winning, graduating players and staying out of NCAA trouble than I do on personality.

Need to define "Favorite".

Seems most of this is defining it as people who you would like to see coach your school.

My definition of Favorite is the coach you turn the TV on to watch. And for that I like to generally see entertainment, which more cases than not are not who I would want to coach at my school.

Bobby Knight was probably the best example of this, entertaining to watch, but I would not have liked him at CU (other than to watch Boulder-ites heads explode).

I've never met him, so I can't speak to his personality.

I know he's active in many charities, including the Coaches for Cancer. i know his ex-players generally speak highly of him. And I respect the trait of being able to admit when you're wrong -- recalling his prompt public apology a few years ago when he blasted that Oregon player in the presser after the tourney upset. He might be a prick, but it appears there are at least some mitigating factors.

but regardless, I'm going to place far more weight on winning, graduating players and staying out of NCAA trouble than I do on personality.

I'm going to take "treats people well" higher than winning, graduating players and staying out of NCAA trouble. At least once a year there's a story that comes out about him treating a Duke undergrad like ****. Earlier this year was him going off on the student reporter and being a first class asshole during a press conference.

Great coach. I'm sure his players love him. First class asshole.

Ed Cooley is awesome, I like Chris Mack a lot, and I've been really impressed with Juwan Howard. Nate Oats plays a really fun style, but he is a little too much for me himself.

I always love how Roy Williams teams play. Hit the boards and run every time you can

100% agree with Jay Wright and Mark Few – also loved the Butler-era Brad Stevens and VCU-era Shaka Smart.

How about Steve Fisher? The guy had one of the most unique career arcs in college bball. I have a feeling Juwan Howard will be on a lot of lists in the coming years too.

Speaking of Fisher, a guy who had a similar relationship with NCAA rules, coaches good basketball and has a chip -- Kevin Ollie's show cause NCAA ends in July 2022. I wonder if we'll see him on the sideline again.

Jay Wright-if for no other reason than the suits.
Tony Bennett-met him taking a visit to WSU in 2006. He's a great basketball coach and an even better man. Hard not to root for him.
Mark Few-same thing here. If he gets a national title, he's pulled off the greatest coaching job I've ever seen.
One name that hasn't been brought that I've always been a fan of is Joe Scott down at AFA-If you can get that program to the NCAA tournament......

Least favorites
EnfieLLLd-Duh.

Last edited:
Ed Cooley is awesome, I like Chris Mack a lot, and I've been really impressed with Juwan Howard. Nate Oats plays a really fun style, but he is a little too much for me himself.

I always love how Roy Williams teams play. Hit the boards and run every time you can

I like to think that I am a good judge of character, so I am going to say Pat Chambers and Gregg Marshall.:censored::LOL:

I actually used to like Izzo a lot, but he went down a few notches in the aftermath of the Nassar scandal. In the retired category, I loved Lou Carnesecca.

Agree with the obvious choices of Few, Wright, Beard. Some kind of under the radar ones: Kelvin Sampson at Houston. They compete their tales off, are good defensively, have been nationally relevant for a couple years since he's taken over there. Honestly really like Musselman at Arkansas too. Similar to beard, seems like he has new guys every year via transfers, recruits, etc yet finds a way to mesh all the players very well. Also like Chris Holtmann at OSU. Dude just wins every year and knows how to build up a program.

Favorites:
Mike Krzyzewski @ Duke
Chris Beard @ TTU
LaVall Jordan @ Butler
Lon Kruger @ OU

Least Favorites:
Sean Miller @ Arizona
Bill Self @ KU
Calipari @ UK
Andy Enfield @ USC

Press Conference Champ:
Roy Williams @ UNC