What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

Dorrell
>gets hired, hires best staff at CU since Barnett
>Goes 4-2 his first season.
>Hires best strength coach CU has had in 30 years
>Brings in the best transfer class probably ever at CU
> ***Loses two games due to **** Chairbanks like offensive coordinator
CU fans with one winning season the past 10 years
>Fire him!!!!
The longer Dorrell does nothing with Chev, the sooner my position will change. But let's sober up before we go Frank Solich

Then make a thread in the basketball section.

I feel like I should either be offended, or vindicated..

The scary thing is that this wasn’t just a fluke offensive performance. There’s really no reason to believe it will get substantially better in conference play. Would a 2-10 season with terrible offense the whole way be enough for RG to realize he ****ed up and cut his losses with Dorrell or are they married for at least a couple more seasons?

Yep. I mentioned it last night: we haven't even seen this team on the road yet. Good offenses can look pedestrian on the road.

As far as your last question, pretty sure the buyout for Dorrell drops to $5 million after the 2022 season, so I would think Dorrell has 22 games left to save his job.

Dorrell has some s very tough decisions to make. It’s obvious the offense is bad. Like, historically bad. Firing Chev seems like a knee jerk reaction in the middle of the season, and I don’t know how you replace this with guys already in the staff. And it’s not like there are a bunch of unemployed offensive coordinators on the market right now. Even Helton would be a tough hire, as he would have to figure out all the personnel, what they’ve been doing, the playbook, etc. in short, we are good and plenty ****ed for this year, and probably for the next several years.
Anyone hired under that scenario would 1A try and save as much of the season as possible by capitalizing on the talent we have and avoiding our obvious limitations. And then 1B also hopefully be a hire that can protect/improve recruiting. But thats likely a hopeless task. OR Can we bring In a Helton as an offense quality control advisor? I would try to if I was RG. Chiv and likely Dorrell were caught off guard by this struggle and a second set of fresh eyes cant hurt.

He can’t make wholesale changes right now, but he can show the team and fan base that yesterday was unacceptable and that he’s going to be accountable. He can take over playcalling and help the GA with coaching WRs the rest of the season.
An extremely reasonable take. Last year made me forget how much I hated chev's play calling from 2018. A&M reminded me more than I would've preferred. Everyone can see it and people are frustrated. Munstertieger's two most popular tweets yesterday are when he said Lewis isn't pulling the trigger on open receivers and Carter is warming up. Fine in and of itself but people were actually calling to bench Lewis the rest of the season. If he plans on being successful, Lewis will have to be mentally stronger than let internet talk effect him but my point remains...Carter missed two 10 yard passes BAD. Lewis is clearly more talented so let's start putting out this dumpster fire sooner rather than later, before pac 12 play starts is as good as it gets for starting off fresh.

Dorrell has some s very tough decisions to make. It’s obvious the offense is bad. Like, historically bad. Firing Chev seems like a knee jerk reaction in the middle of the season, and I don’t know how you replace this with guys already in the staff. And it’s not like there are a bunch of unemployed offensive coordinators on the market right now. Even Helton would be a tough hire, as he would have to figure out all the personnel, what they’ve been doing, the playbook, etc. in short, we are good and plenty ****ed for this year, and probably for the next several years.
Best situation we have is Dorrell takes over play calling duties, Chev sticks around to coach WR's during practice so KD can manage and observe. KD isn't interacting during the game much as it is, adding play calling duties shouldn't affect his ability to continue doing whatever he is doing during the game. I like it even better because it gives us a chance to see what kind of football mind Dorrell has and his ideal offensive scheme

An extremely reasonable take. Last year made me forget how much I hated chev's play calling from 2018. A&M reminded me more than I would've preferred. Everyone can see it and people are frustrated. Munstertieger's two most popular tweets yesterday are when he said Lewis isn't pulling the trigger on open receivers and Carter is warming up. Fine in and of itself but people were actually calling to bench Lewis the rest of the season. If he plans on being successful, Lewis will have to be mentally stronger than let internet talk effect him but my point remains...Carter missed two 10 yard passes BAD. Lewis is clearly more talented so let's start putting out this dumpster fire sooner rather than later, before pac 12 play starts is as good as it gets for starting off fresh.
Carter's stats were basically identical Lewis in terms of YPA, comp %, etc. The difference that I saw wias Carter was more decisive and had a zip on his ball that Lewis doesn't have. I'm not saying he would be much better, but he looked better in that extremely limited sample size. We do need to see what we have in him. The worst possible scenario is this staff plays the "What If" game with Carter and they assume Shrout will be 100% and we don't bring in a transfer.

Last edited:
The scary thing is that this wasn’t just a fluke offensive performance. There’s really no reason to believe it will get substantially better in conference play. Would a 2-10 season with terrible offense the whole way be enough for RG to realize he ****ed up and cut his losses with Dorrell or are they married for at least a couple more seasons?
Dorrell gets a minimum of four (so three more). Chev lasts all year as OC and likely retained in a demoted role IMO.

Carter's stat was basically identical Lewis in terms of YPA, comp %, etc. The difference that I saw wias Carter was more decisive and had a zip on his ball that Lewis doesn't have. I'm not saying he would be much better, but he looked better in that extremely limited sample size. We do need to see what we have in him. The worst possible scenario is this staff plays the "What If" game with Carter and they assume Shrout will be 100% and we don't bring in a transfer.
I went into Hudl and watched at length, both Lewis and Carter’s HS game film.
This sh!t is solely on the coaches.
End of story.

I went into Hudl and watched at length, both Lewis and Carter’s HS game film.
This sh!t is solely on the coaches.
End of story.
Lewis was Tucker's QB comit for an obviously different offense and KD just did all he could to hang onto him knowing he would run a different offense. He choose to take an easier path than finding another QB to push him that would match his system. That late in the game I get we would have gotten crap, but then its followed up with Carter who was viewed as a project by all.

Carter's stat was basically identical Lewis in terms of YPA, comp %, etc. The difference that I saw wias Carter was more decisive and had a zip on his ball that Lewis doesn't have. I'm not saying he would be much better, but he looked better in that extremely limited sample size. We do need to see what we have in him. The worst possible scenario is this staff plays the "What If" game with Carter and they assume Shrout will be 100% and we don't bring in a transfer.
Barnett said something about Carter needing to be given heavy consideration to start next week.

Dorrell gets a minimum of four (so three more). Chev lasts all year as OC and likely retained in a demoted role IMO.
If he can’t get the offense back to respectability and recruiting doesn’t improve I don’t believe he will get through next season (as Duff mentioned, his buyout drops a lot)

If he can’t get the offense back to respectability and recruiting doesn’t improve I don’t believe he will get through next season (as Duff mentioned, his buyout drops a lot)
$5mil is still a lot for a school like CU. Dorrell gets 4 years as long we we are somewhat respectable

KD and staff are the highest paid in CU history for starters. You spend to stay relevant, but that offensive staff top to bottom is a bottom P5 staff as a group.

I actually agree with that-there's no assistant on that side who KD hired away from another P5 team. The offensive side needs a makeover, and Dorrell can call plays himself for 10 games so we don't have to watch Chev's egotistical ass do it.

If he's still the play caller for next week, I'll probably only watch what I have money on. Knowing me though-I'll drop money on the under and then suffer through this again week lol

Here’s a question: If Dorrell fires Chev, takes over playcalling himself, and the offense is still putrid, what then?? There’s really nothing in his career that points to him being a good play caller, so while maybe he’s better than Chev at it, it’s likely he’s on a similar level.

At that point, what value does he bring to the program? He hired an incompetent staff, fails to force in game adjustments, isn’t anything special as an X’s and O’s guy, isn’t a good play caller and can’t recruit very well. I used to think preparation and leadership were two qualities he possessed in spades, but now I'm not so sure about either

The first time he had the chance to hire a football coach, he went after to Georgia’s DC and Ohio State’s OC (at the time). The second time, he started with Sark and EB, and instead of getting it done with one of those two, he decided not to make the concessions they asked for and settled on Karl ****ing Dorrell.
My fear is that anyone who has any remote interest in this job is going to call Tucker and ask what happened. Any prospective coach with ambition is going to be turned off by the limitations we place on ourselves. All that leaves us is apathetic coaches who just want to collect a check for a couple years before they ride of into the sunset.

I hear Addazio might be available soon

Back