What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

First round exit

They haven’t needed that many this year. Been a great season, basketball is a game of runs and streaks. This season is far from over. Sucks, but actually not a terrible time to get a loss right before things get serious.
I guess I considered the OSU game as playing that role. I find these late stretches of no offense baffling. A couple of games that easily could have been won.

Whenever Colorado loses in the NCAA Tournament, I just hope it happens because the other team outplays them instead of blowing a big lead in the 2H.
Yep. Like when the Nate-Carlon squad lost to Baylor. Even the Illinois loss. We just got beat. I don't want to see another Pitt performance or UConn collapse. Those games remain painful for me to think about, particularly UConn because we had them beat.

I'm very excited that that we'll not only be in the tournament but should get a good seed barring a total collapse over the next 4+ games. But I also know that we could just as easily lose as a 5-seed as make a Sweet 16 or better run.

Yep. Like when the Nate-Carlon squad lost to Baylor. Even the Illinois loss. We just got beat. I don't want to see another Pitt performance or UConn collapse. Those games remain painful for me to think about, particularly UConn because we had them beat.
Those Pitt and UConn losses were painful...

I believe our Buffs are a solid team and capable of giving any team fits if the night is right. With that said, depending on the night, it could be a quick exit or we can rip off 2 or 3 wins in the NCAA tourney.

The most worrisome or frustrating thing is losing at home. No way we should have lost 3 games at home this year, none of those opponents ranked, That's alarming, as well as those more frequent "slow as hell" starts. For some reason we think we can turn on and off the light switch and get W's. This shouldn't be a quality of an experienced team.

Our Buffs need to play with purpose for 40 minutes. Come tourney time, if MKW, Bey, Battey, Schwartz, can take their games to the next level, if we play solid defense, we can make some noise. It would've been nice if the team that beat Dayton played like that consistently, then the Buffs would be Top 10 and we wouldn't be having this discussion or concerns about winning a tourney game. The Pac-12 Tourney will be very important and should tell us what to look forward to in the dance.

At our best we beat Dayton, at our worse we give up 10 point leads and lose to the likes of Oregon State

I'm not happy. Starting to think you're right OP, I don't think we'll lose in the first round, but this is not a Sweet-16 team.
Loyola-Chicago was a Final 4 team two years ago. Think about that. The Tourney is a total crap shoot these days. Get hot at the right time, get a good draw, and who knows? And FTR, L-C lost to Boise State by 34 and Milwaukee by 17 that year. I'm more interested in what we look like when we get to Vegas.

Loyola-Chicago was a Final 4 team two years ago. Think about that. The Tourney is a total crap shoot these days. Get hot at the right time, get a good draw, and who knows? And FTR, L-C lost to Boise State by 34 and Milwaukee by 17 that year. I'm more interested in what we look like when we get to Vegas.
Yep.

Or just the fact that Duke and Kansas are not in the Final Four every single year despite being 2 of the 4 most talented teams in the nation every single year + having elite coaches.

Winning 4 straight games on neutral courts against good to great teams is damn difficult.

You may not like his post, but he’s not trolling. He’s not just trying to get a reaction ... he legit thinks we’re gonna lose in the first round (which isn’t that off base).

From Wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community(such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain

By that definition, Darth Snow’s reaction checks several boxes, including inflammatory, digressive, and off-topic.

To address the OP:
We’re working with 18-21 yo college athletes, so there is no guarantee of anything.

On the plus side, this is Boyle’s best start yet. CU has maturity on their side, plays a solid D, and can generate points from any number of players on any given night from anywhere on the court. When CU is rolling, they are very, very good. This team compares favorably with any CU team going back to the 1960s. Lots to be excited about.

The UCLA senior night defeat on CBS was a big disappointment on a national stage, sure. So were the absolute blow-outs suffered against Kansas and Arizona. But those losses don’t define the whole body of work. This is also a team that swept USC and ASU, decidedly vanquished the OSU loss with a decisive road win of their own, split games with Oregon in two competitive matchups that might have gone either way, mostly took care of business to win games they were supposed to win, and had ice in their veins with the buzzer beater against Dayton. The quadrant record speaks for itself. Metrics aren’t showing too many immaculate teams.

When MW4 is playing mad, he elevates everyone. The Buffs will need that to get to or beyond the SS. Also need a consistent performance from Bey, and 3-balls falling from Lucas, Gatling, or any number of bench players.

Probably best to just add some cold hard numbers. Any seed higher than 9 has a 50% or greater chance of advancing to 2nd round. That’s the Buffs. Hooray for not looking like one and done team.

Big drop-off between 4 and 5 when it comes to sweet 16.
Colorado sits at 5 at the moment, giving it a 1 in 3 chance for that sweet sixteen.
26437869-F928-4EB9-B3F4-76543B62926E.jpeg
As fans, we’re naturally optimistic that the Buffs can get better than a five after the conference tournament is said and done. And plenty of us are delighted for finally being in the sweet 16 conversation.

A sweet sixteen is in reach. And not many other teams can say that.

Go Buffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's interesting to me is that if you look at the Elite 8 you're better off being a 6 than a 5. Harder to beat a 3 than a 4, but if you get through that you've got much better chances of beating a 2 vs a 1. (Or not having to even play that 2, while a 1 is very likely to be in that S16 game.)

By that definition, Darth Snow’s reaction checks several boxes, including inflammatory, digressive, and off-topic.

To address the OP:
We’re working with 18-21 yo college athletes, so there is no guarantee of anything.

On the plus side, this is Boyle’s best start yet. CU has maturity on their side, plays a solid D, and can generate points from any number of players on any given night from anywhere on the court. When CU is rolling, they are very, very good. This team compares favorably with any CU team going back to the 1960s. Lots to be excited about.

The UCLA senior night defeat on CBS was a big disappointment on a national stage, sure. So were the absolute blow-outs suffered against Kansas and Arizona. But those losses don’t define the whole body of work. This is also a team that swept USC and ASU, decidedly vanquished the OSU loss with a decisive road win of their own, split games with Oregon in two competitive matchups that might have gone either way, mostly took care of business to win games they were supposed to win, and had ice in their veins with the buzzer beater against Dayton. The quadrant record speaks for itself. Metrics aren’t showing too many immaculate teams.

When MW4 is playing mad, he elevates everyone. The Buffs will need that to get to or beyond the SS. Also need a consistent performance from Bey, and 3-balls falling from Lucas, Gatling, or any number of bench players.

Probably best to just add some cold hard numbers. Any seed higher than 9 has a 50% or greater chance of advancing to 2nd round. That’s the Buffs. Hooray for not looking like one and done team.

Colorado sits at 5 at the moment, giving it a 1 in 3 chance for that sweet sixteen.
View attachment 34325
As fans, we’re naturally optimistic that the Buffs can get better than a five after the conference tournament is said and done. And plenty of us are delighted for finally being in the sweet 16 conversation.

Go Buffs.
This can't be the "Odds" it must be more like the historical percentage of teams making it. The 16 line is the example, the tournament went to 64 teams in 1985. That is 35 years. So there have been 140 16 seeds, and only 1 has made it past the first round, that works out to 0.714%. Odds would be the expected outcome given and infinite series of contests. Obviously a 5 seed doesn't have a 0.0% chance of winning, its just that no 5 seed has won yet.

This can't be the "Odds" it must be more like the historical percentage of teams making it. The 16 line is the example, the tournament went to 64 teams in 1985. That is 35 years. So there have been 140 16 seeds, and only 1 has made it past the first round, that works out to 0.714%. Odds would be the expected outcome given and infinite series of contests. Obviously a 5 seed doesn't have a 0.0% chance of winning, its just that no 5 seed has won yet.

Odds, probability, statistical findings - each have precise meanings that would be fun to explore or quibble about. Etymology is so pedantic, though, in the wrong thread.

Here’s my source that called historical outcomes odds. It’s a betting site. Go figure.

To address the OP:

View attachment 34325

Go Buffs.
Lots of good points. The kicker with stats is the idiosyncrasies of each team. Are they healthy? If an important player is injured or sick, how good is the backup? Do they have motivation issues? Do they have the maturity to have confidence in themselves when things aren’t going right? I’m not saying the Buffs necessarily have any special problems in these areas, there certainly are issues (“MW4 needs to decide to play mad for team success”?) but it’s part of the unpredictability. At least with this team there is potential for an exceptional run (I’m calling sweet 16 an exceptional run given Buff b-ball history). So I’m eager to see what will happen - but slightly dreading uncertainty over whether the team will overcome whatever obstacles arise. They’ve been really good this season, with occasional lapses. Can’t afford a lapse in the one-and-done scenario.

Lots of good points. The kicker with stats is the idiosyncrasies of each team. Are they healthy? If an important player is injured or sick, how good is the backup? Do they have motivation issues? Do they have the maturity to have confidence in themselves when things aren’t going right? I’m not saying the Buffs necessarily have any special problems in these areas, there certainly are issues (“MW4 needs to decide to play mad for team success”?) but it’s part of the unpredictability. At least with this team there is potential for an exceptional run (I’m calling sweet 16 an exceptional run given Buff b-ball history). So I’m eager to see what will happen - but slightly dreading uncertainty over whether the team will overcome whatever obstacles arise. They’ve been really good this season, with occasional lapses. Can’t afford a lapse in the one-and-done scenario.
Beyond matchups, so much of it is chemistry too and whether a team is dialed in & on a mission.

Recent UVA is the best example. Last year's team was no more talented or successful than the year before, but their focus and will had been taken to a level that wasn't gong to allow a loss.

We all hate that your worst fears are being confirmed.
They are not passing the eyeball test...dropping seeding by the game...they appear to be a 7-9 seed which makes first game a tossup...need to beat Utah and do some serious conference tourney damage

They are not passing the eyeball test...dropping seeding by the game...they appear to be a 7-9 seed which makes first game a tossup...need to beat Utah and do some serious conference tourney damage
They won’t. We all know how this is going to end. 6 straight Ls and this season will be in the books. I’m so fed up.

This is a really, really good week to have only one game. I fully expect the coaches to figure out whatever issues have been plauging the team over the last three games and for our guys to come out and play well against Utah Saturday.

This is still a damn good team with a really good resume. We have seven Q1 wins (Dayton, Stanford here, the sweep of USC, Oregon here, and the 2 wins over Arizona State I think-somebody correct me if I don't have that right) and only one really questionable loss (Cal). Need to win Saturday to avoid having to play in the first round in Vegas.

Last edited:
The title of this thread should be referring to the Pac 12 tourney ... good chance we exit in the first round there too, the way this team is playing lately.

Looking like 6 straight losses is more likely than a 1st rd. victory. But let's at least give ourselves a chance in the remaining 3 games.

Shorten the bench by:
Not playing Daylen anymore this season. 0 minutes.
McKinley and Eli need to go close to 40 mins. per game. Very short breathers.
Play Evan until he fouls out. Stop protecting him for long stretches on the bench where we just give up layup after dunk after layup. Make him play through this because we know the alternative is a sure loss. Maybe it will be anyway but try something different.

And for God's sake coaches please teach Tyler how to recognize/anticipate a double-team early and how to pass out of it effectively.

I do think the OP is a troll and we must have struck a painful nerve with him when we beat his team from east of here. I'm guessing Indiana. Yes those people have loooong memories. They got nothin else. More likely a holer though.

They need to bring it all the time, and haven't been. Sure, they are a tourney team. Is that the goal for them?

Back