What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future at QB?

Give Lytle a series per half and see if Montez will run for the first down in the game winning touchdown drive?
I've been saying this for 2 years.

Montez has no reason to care, he KNOWS he will never get benched. No matter what. Come hell or high water, he's the guy.

I understand what you are getting at and would agree that QB is the most important position on the field. With that in mind, think about Sefo and Steven. Statistically above average QBs and where did they take the program? I dont think that the QB will determine his legacy but would certainly help. Battles are won/lost in the trenches fellas. I am a believer that Tucker's legacy will be built on his staff's ability (or lack therof) to recruit DL/OL. With that in mind, very excited about Brendon coming to the Buffs.
I don't disagree about the trenches but here's a question.
If Frohm was CU QB this season don't you think the Buffs might be 5-0 ?

That would not be good.
Unless Lytle just lights the Spring on fire and is a revelation, I can't imagine he is on the roster in 2020. They are almost assuredly going to bring in a GT, who will have a leg up on starting, and then Lewis is the future. Lytle will probably want to go somewhere he can play for his remaining 2 years of eligibility.

Unless Lytle just lights the Spring on fire and is a revelation, I can't imagine he is on the roster in 2020. They are almost assuredly going to bring in a GT, who will have a leg up on starting, and then Lewis is the future. Lytle will probably want to go somewhere he can play for his remaining 2 years of eligibility.

The post I replied to mentioned Stenstrom and Lytle leaving. Random grad transfer and Lewis as the entire depth chart would indeed be bad.

Agreed. Just advancing the conversation. I think it's likely that one of them transfers, though.

Probably?

Either way, play multiple QBs in 2020. It can be done.. The most recent CU thing ever would be a grad transfer getting 98.8% of the snaps while scratching and clawing for bowl eligibility.

If Lewis is even somewhat ready to go, get him in at least four games.

Probably?

Either way, play multiple QBs in 2020. It can be done.. The most recent CU thing ever would be a grad transfer getting 98.8% of the snaps while scratching and clawing for bowl eligibility.

If Lewis is even somewhat ready to go, get him in at least four games.
Oh, if Lewis shows even an inkling of grasping the playbook and being able to execute, I'm all for him being the guy next year. I understand that's not likely to happen and a Grad Transfer will be needed, but yes, an 80/20 timeshare at QB from the get go is ideal, IMO.

I am still wondering where this wonderful grad transfer store is located where a losing program can go pick out a quality potential starter to come and face the possibility of sitting behind a freshman.

Grad transfer is a great idea and has helped us with Hambright this season but it isn't as if there is a huge number of quality QBs looking for new homes and the ones who are can pick from some programs that are likely to go to a bowl game this year and next..

I am still wondering where this wonderful grad transfer store is located where a losing program can go pick out a quality potential starter to come and face the possibility of sitting behind a freshman.

Grad transfer is a great idea and has helped us with Hambright this season but it isn't as if there is a huge number of quality QBs looking for new homes and the ones who are can pick from some programs that are likely to go to a bowl game this year and next..

Guys want to play. There are not many top programs looking for grad transfer QBs either. Any decent QB is not going to be scared of Lewis.

Guys want to play. There are not many top programs looking for grad transfer QBs either. Any decent QB is not going to be scared of Lewis.
I understand it is a possibility, I just don't think the odds of finding the right fit justify any confidence that we can just go out and get one, and that guy will be the solution to our issues.

Not saying don't pursue the option but I think it is a mistake to assume that we can and will find that guy.

Has anyone taken the time to identify who the potential GT QB prospects are? In my mind, you typically get a GT that hasn't played much because they've been recruited over (don't want this guy, no matter big name of a recruit he was *Connor Wood*), or a senior who wants to go to a different program because there has been a coaching change or some other change of circumstance (these guys could be interesting). I am just curious who this guy might be, as he would likely need to be a proven quantity for me to feel encouraged in taking him over someone already on our roster and in our system.

Maybe we should move this discussion to a different thread?

Has anyone taken the time to identify who the potential GT QB prospects are? In my mind, you typically get a GT that hasn't played much because they've been recruited over (don't want this guy, no matter big name of a recruit he was *Connor Wood*), or a senior who wants to go to a different program because there has been a coaching change or some other change of circumstance (these guys could be interesting). I am just curious who this guy might be, as he would likely need to be a proven quantity for me to feel encouraged in taking him over someone already on our roster and in our system.

Maybe we should move this discussion to a different thread?
In a recruit thread?

In a recruit thread?
I must be dumb, cause I’m not following your joke at my expense....which I’m okay with (I’ve lived my whole life this dumb, so it’s not new). I was simply saying it might be a good idea to discuss the desire by some on here to find a GT QB in a different thread than our prized QB recruit’s thread.

I must be dumb, cause I’m not following your joke at my expense....which I’m okay with (I’ve lived my whole life this dumb, so it’s not new). I was simply saying it might be a good idea to discuss the desire by some on here to find a GT QB in a different thread than our prized QB recruit’s thread.

depends on if the mod likes the posters involved or not. If so, it’s relevant. If not, it’ll be moved...you’ll find out soon enough.

The determining factor will be what Tucker and staff envisions for the position. If more speed/running ability, then it will be a grad transfer, and perhaps another transfer who will sit out a year. If they want to stay mostly in the pocket, pass normal, and game manage, Stenstrom and Lytle will get their shots. Both are big enough. It will come down to quicker release, arm strength, accuracy and poise. Who is the gamer?

The determining factor will be what Tucker and staff envisions for the position. If more speed/running ability, then it will be a grad transfer, and perhaps another transfer who will sit out a year. If they want to stay mostly in the pocket, pass normal, and game manage, Stenstrom and Lytle will get their shots. Both are big enough. It will come down to quicker release, arm strength, accuracy and poise. Who is the gamer?

Two transfer QBs would be really dumb roster management.

Two transfer QBs would be really dumb roster management.

Not if you are looking for a completely different skill set at the QB position. With the portal, there are now many options-- Grad transfers, great recruits that just get beat out, and then you have an undergrad recruit who will learn off them. If the staff desires a whole new skill set "roster management" at that position is out the door. Plus, it is their roster to manage.

Not if you are looking for a completely different skill set at the QB position. With the portal, there are now many options-- Grad transfers, great recruits that just get beat out, and then you have an undergrad recruit who will learn off them. If the staff desires a whole new skill set "roster management" at that position is out the door. Plus, it is their roster to manage.

They are recruiting 2021 and 2022 prospects hard right now. Add not just Lewis but two transfers ahead of them? Good luck .

Maybe we should get either of them a game snap, or 2. Find out.

Meaningful, intentional snaps. Not OH GOD WE DIDN'T PLAN FOR THIS.

Grad Transfer seems so stupid for long term success?
I think that Lytle, Stenstrom, and Lewis are excellent options for Tucker!
They seem like they can all handle this offense if given a chance. Long term we want Lewis to win the job, but I would really like to see the other two get on the field!

Back