What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- Men's basketball opens 2019/20 season in Shanghai vs. ASU (Friday, 11/8, 8:30 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
(Note to mods- if you have a cleaner game thread format you prefer, please delete this.)

It's a non-conference season opening game against Arizona State for the Buffs in an annual Pac 12 game held in Shanghai (sponsored by huge Chinese company the Alibaba Group) . The start time is scheduled for 8:30 PM on Friday, 11/8 Denver/ Mountain time, or what looks to be Saturday morning at 11:30 AM Shanghai time.

Go Buffs!

A Buffzone preview - https://www.buffzone.com/2019/11/07...-finally-tips-off-for-cu-basketball-in-china/

A cubuffs.com preview from before the trip started - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/11/1/mens-basketball-opens-season-with-pac-12-china-game.aspx
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links -
Live video -
Game is being shown live on ESPN2. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that channel, assume the match can also be streamed through a link at https://www.espn.com/watch/ .

Live Audio - Can't say anything about it myself, but there is a link on the Buffs schedule for what I assume may be an audio/ radio broadcast - https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Basketball-s308227/?_branch_match_id=721229592231620963

Live stats - Looks like they may be available at https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401170560 .
(Note for those gambling- oriented or just curious - As I type this, this page shows the Buffs as 5-1/2 point favorites, with the over/ under at 147.)

(Note to mods- if you have a cleaner game thread format you prefer, please delete this.)

Nah this is good. Everyone who has done a game thread here has a different way of doing it. All work well IMO.

Thanks Aztec!!

Looking forward to some Buffs Hoops!!!!

Since this is a non-conference game, do we play them 1 or 2 more times this year?

Since this is a non-conference game, do we play them 1 or 2 more times this year?

Just once. From the schedule, looks like it's the Arizona (away games) and Washington (home games) schools the Buffs only play once in conference this year.

Once again, in Tempe.

Were we to play them twice in conference and once out-of-conference, it would leave open the possibility of playing them four times, because we could theoretically play them in the Pac-12 tournament. You can play three times, but not four.

Howdy y'all- I'm a CU law grad who went to Santa Clara as an undergrad, and I usually follow them during CBB season, but I'm planning on poking around over here a little more this season.

Go Buffs.

Howdy y'all- I'm a CU law grad who went to Santa Clara as an undergrad, and I usually follow them during CBB season, but I'm planning on poking around over here a little more this season.

Welcome fellow WCC undergrad. Gonzaga sucks. Almost attended Santa Clara myself, was between there and San Diego.

I went to a conference at Santa Clara last year. Where the **** did you guys drink?

I went to a conference at Santa Clara last year. Where the **** did you guys drink?

The Santa Clara equivalent to The Sink is called "The Hut", and is just north of campus, but was closed for about a year due to a rent dispute... it's now re-opened. That's the spot people most associate with SCU.

There are a handful of bars in Old Downtown Santa Clara. Due to (no longer current) campus tradition of there being no class on Wednesdays, a lot of the bar-going in Santa Clara proper happens on Tuesday nights.

The majority of modern Santa Clara, with the theme park, football stadium, etc. is essentially a big corporate park and totally dead. If that's where the conference was, I wouldn't be surprised you were unimpressed. The University campus though has a lot of charm- it's the oldest University in California, and looks like it.

However, the school itself is very nearly in San Jose, and there are places to drink downtown, like San Pedro Square. There's a CalTrain station right across from campus, so students old enough to get into bars ride south to downtown or north to Palo Alto or even San Francisco. Due to some historical quirk, you're allowed to drink on CalTrain (though not BART). Taking the train for a night out is a bit foreign to CU grads, I'd think.

All that said, the vast majority of the drinking happens at house parties and fraternity events along Bellomy street. Bars and the like are mostly for older kids outgrowing the college stuff.

Welcome fellow WCC undergrad. Gonzaga sucks. Almost attended Santa Clara myself, was between there and San Diego.

St. Marys is the one that drives me batty. Horrible gym, boring location, no tradition before the whole aussie thing started... We've got the opposite- a relatively nice gym, a tradition of playing in March (until the last twenty years, unfortunately), a less sleepy location (BuffsNYC may not agree), and a bigger budget.

And they just keep beating us like a drum.

The Santa Clara equivalent to The Sink is called "The Hut", and is just north of campus, but was closed for about a year due to a rent dispute... it's now re-opened. That's the spot people most associate with SCU.

There are a handful of bars in Old Downtown Santa Clara. Due to (no longer current) campus tradition of there being no class on Wednesdays, a lot of the bar-going in Santa Clara proper happens on Tuesday nights.

The majority of modern Santa Clara, with the theme park, football stadium, etc. is essentially a big corporate park and totally dead. If that's where the conference was, I wouldn't be surprised you were unimpressed. The University campus though has a lot of charm- it's the oldest University in California, and looks like it.

However, the school itself is very nearly in San Jose, and there are places to drink downtown, like San Pedro Square. There's a CalTrain station right across from campus, so students old enough to get into bars ride south to downtown or north to Palo Alto or even San Francisco. Due to some historical quirk, you're allowed to drink on CalTrain (though not BART). Taking the train for a night out is a bit foreign to CU grads, I'd think.

All that said, the vast majority of the drinking happens at house parties and fraternity events along Bellomy street. Bars and the like are mostly for older kids outgrowing the college stuff.
The conference was on campus, but the hut was closed at the time. It just seemed weird that I couldn’t walk to a bar at 5:00.

Goats falling behind. Game probably over for them. Go Duke!

Wait for this game is killing me.

Once again, in Tempe.

Were we to play them twice in conference and once out-of-conference, it would leave open the possibility of playing them four times, because we could theoretically play them in the Pac-12 tournament. You can play three times, but not four.

Go Buffs.
Hey Highlands,
Nice to see CU. I did CU law in '86. Go Buffs.

giphy.gif

Back