What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game Week! (Exhibition Style)

We fought, missed some bunnies. Jabari didn’t seem to try until 10 minutes into second half. Think Evan had 2 points and Eli got shut out. Considering all of that and that Nebraska hit 50 percent of threes surprised it wasn’t a bigger blow out. We had to make Nebraska drive and make 2s and didnt. Really proud of how O’Brien and Nique played today. A lot of people (me included) were unsure if O’Brien was Pac-12 Caliber he fought, played hard and made shots tonight. Nique really backed up what Boyles been hyping up all year. He’s a really good rebounder for a 6’5 guard. Just need our starters to play like starters, defend the 3 way better. As mentioned 3 point shooting will be a continuous problem all year.

Overall not a good performance

team was lethargic and lazy
Slowly warmed up and woke up mid game

nebraska shot lights out from 3, we did not at all

nothing whatsoever from Battey and Parquet, but not super worried about that overall

player of the game was Clifford. He wants to fight for minutes and was effective and competitve

simpson is a nice spark plug

lovering needs time, muscle, and needs to rise up and shoot

o’Brien is serviceable

Da Silva is the wildcard? He could get 20 a game or disappear, I think he can get his

Need 3 point shots to fall or else gonna get behind in a lot of games.

fun little exhibition game

GO BUFFS

Only got to watch the first half.

****ty game for a fan.... fantastic exhibition for Boyle. He let those kids sink hard during the nebraska run that blew it out, which started when Key went to the bench and got worse as more frosh were added. It ended when the starters were put back in for the most part. Something that never would happen during a game that counted.

Definitely reminded me of games 3 and 4 years ago when the young Kin group would get stomped on for a spell. Fun wake up call, good experience, and even better that it doesn't count.

If anyone finds a replay of it, let me know. the Big 10 live stream ended and kicked me out even though I was paused.

Nebraska will win some Big 10 games they shouldn’t and will get blown out against good rebounding teams.
Better dead than red
GO BUFFS

Starters were pretty ineffective..10-40 shooting including 0-8 on 3's. Evan was really pressing offensively. Rebounding, especially offensive (23) kept it from being a larger blowout. The much maligned sophs Obrien and especially Clifford were actually pretty decent. Nebraska may be better than their preseason low B10 pick.

Starters were pretty ineffective..10-40 shooting including 0-8 on 3's. Evan was really pressing offensively. Rebounding, especially offensive (23) kept it from being a larger blowout. The much maligned sophs Obrien and especially Clifford were actually pretty decent. ****braska may be better than their preseason low B10 pick.
Clifford was quite good
O’Brien was Maddox Daniels OKish
Nebraska can make waves with 3 pointers, but could get and likely will get crushed by teams like Michigan and Purdue
Key is a quality point guard and feels like a young Kin who has been given so much good role modeling. He zipped right by people all day.
Battey can dunk, he does it all the time in warmups, then never seems to get any in game dunks
Early game time did nothing for the guys, but no excuses.

****ty game for a fan.... fantastic exhibition for Boyle. He let those kids sink hard during the ****braska run that blew it out, which started when Key went to the bench and got worse as more frosh were added. It ended when the starters were put back in for the most part. Something that never would happen during a game that counted.

Definitely reminded me of games 3 and 4 years ago when the young Kin group would get stomped on for a spell. Fun wake up call, good experience, and even better that it doesn't count.

If anyone finds a replay of it, let me know. the Big 10 live stream ended and kicked me out even though I was paused.

Seconded.

Tad's line is going to be: you guys just aren't that good yet, if you want to win games you better defend and rebound like demons.

Buffs definitely appeared a bit frenetic today, particularly on the offensive end.

That being said, I don’t think we’ll have to worry about this team not attacking the basketball. Even though we missed a ton of layups, certainly feels like we have players with the desire to create for themselves, not just pass around the perimeter until the shot clock gets low.

My biggest concern is Jabari. Unless he is draining 3s, I don’t feel super confident in his consistency as a primary scorer. But again, was just an exhibition and he is someone who plays up to the moment/competition

So am I supposed to feel good that they could have won if Battey and Parquet didn't go a combined 0-13 with 2 points; or am I supposed to feel bad that Battey and Parquet went 0-13?

So am I supposed to feel good that they could have won if Battey and Parquet didn't go a combined 0-13 with 2 points; or am I supposed to feel bad that Battey and Parquet went 0-13?
It was weird to see those two ineffective and uninvolved. Hope they were just in Exhibition mode, but wish I would have seen better play. Key and Clifford were the only real aggressive guys. Lawson tries hard and is not afraid of anything, just needs time. He can shoot the 3 but looked like he thought he had the red light

We lost arguably the greatest player in school history who played arguably the most important position on the court. We’re gonna have some serious clunkers in non-con.

We lost arguably the greatest player in school history who played arguably the most important position on the court. We’re gonna have some serious clunkers in non-con.
Since you are mr point guard how do you feel about how the position looked today. It seemed like Kee was not in as much as I expected

Watched the whole game, a few thoughts:
  • I love what I'm seeing from Keeshawn, that dude is aggressive and so quick off the drive
  • Evan Battey was definitely forcing the issue on offense today. I don't think we'll ever see him shoot that many jumpers
  • Nique Clifford being able to grab the defensive rebound and immediately push the floor is going to help grease the wheels offensively. I really liked what I saw from him today
  • Tristan Da Silva is so good at driving off the wing.
  • There is so much versatility at the forward position for this team
  • K.J. Simpson had a million turnovers and tried one too many cross court passes in the half court offense. He is going to be fun in transition
  • Jabari Walker looked disinterested for almost all of the game. Hope that's not a trend
  • Nebraska couldn't miss, partially because CU was caught ball watching a lot
  • Lawson Lovering is going to be CU's best player in a year and potentially an all-timer. He is so active and athletic for a 7 footer

I see that the Buffs lost at Nebraska...FIRE TAD!

Actually, like Tad said to BZ, it was good to get smacked like that before the season started.

I would say neither. Anyone drawing conclusions from an absolutely meaningless exhibition game has no clue about competition.
Enlighten us on Competition related to just an Exhibition Game and how the efforts put out have nothing or something to do with this season's success?

There was a lack of effort by a lot of guys, and if that happens in the non-con against winnable games, then that needs to be remedied before it happens.

Nebraska was a good team with talented players like Verge and some other good players that showed who could actually hustle on defense and especially cover the 3 point line.

This. But people are also seriously underselling Nebraska. Hoiberg has loaded that team up with talented transfers and good recruits including a 5*. I fully expect that team to be in the tournament.

Since you are mr point guard how do you feel about how the position looked today. It seemed like Kee was not in as much as I expected

Still haven't seen it. Dealt with a sick kiddo all morning and missed it. Hoping to find a rebroadcast.

****ty game for a fan.... fantastic exhibition for Boyle. He let those kids sink hard during the ****braska run that blew it out, which started when Key went to the bench and got worse as more frosh were added. It ended when the starters were put back in for the most part. Something that never would happen during a game that counted.

Here is the replay.

This is a young team with potential, replacing an NCAA tournament team. This team is trying to replace over 70% of the scoring, rebounding and assists from last year. 70+% is A LOT to replace. I really liked how Tad was patient with his lineup and players while getting hammered. He didn't get scream at the young players, he was calm, developing while giving them major minutes against a Big10 team. This team has many of the flaws of several of Tad's previous teams (prior to the previous 3 years), lack of three point shooting and not closing out against three point shooters. Also, this team came out flat, playing on their heels the first half and missed all shots short in the first half. On most nights, those shots fall and this game was tight. I thought it was a good outcome for Tad - teaching points and the young players got major minutes against a Big10 team, while not costing them an L in the win column.

Scheduling an exhibition game against quality competition was such a smart move by Tad, given the youth on the team.

BuffinCali's comments got me thinking – Tad is coming into what I think will be his absolute best years at CU. He is an extremely good coach, is continuing to improve on his recruiting, and got a bit of a monkey off his back last year, after a few year dry spell without a tourney win.

The only criticism I still have, which is nitpicking, is year to year consistency in recruiting classes. We do tend to pull in these anchor classes (last years seniors, this years freshman), and after they leave, the program takes a bigger dip back to the NIT level for a couple years before getting back to the tourney.

Basically, we are spoiled by Tad and must protect him at all costs.

Nebraska was 7-20 last year..picked 11th in the Big 10 this year..has 5 freshmsn... a freshman transfers...
Dont kid yourself...that was an all out embarrassing performance..

Scheduling an exhibition game against quality competition was such a smart move by Tad, given the youth on the team.

BuffinCali's comments got me thinking – Tad is coming into what I think will be his absolute best years at CU. He is an extremely good coach, is continuing to improve on his recruiting, and got a bit of a monkey off his back last year, after a few year dry spell without a tourney win.

The only criticism I still have, which is nitpicking, is year to year consistency in recruiting classes. We do tend to pull in these anchor classes (last years seniors, this years freshman), and after they leave, the program takes a bigger dip back to the NIT level for a couple years before getting back to the tourney.

Basically, we are spoiled by Tad and must protect him at all costs.
BuffinCali true: only teams w/ Nebraska's perimeter size this year are UCLA, Tennessee, Kansas, USC & Oregon. We learn a lesson; we get chance at top-25!

Zachsquatch true too: I honestly don't think CU's fan-base realize we have 1 of elite player-development programs in country. Sports Illustrated advanced metrics measured Tad #1 in getting lowest ranked players to NBA years ago; it's still the case. Tad didn't ask transfers back because he promised guys develop. time!

I don't think I have to say I told you so re: Nique & Luke! But LUV their toughness, D & Rbding, (when Tristan/ 'Bari not in); their O just frosting on the cake!

I'm barely worried about the poor 3-pt shooting. Luke & Julian shot over 50% from 3 in HS; Tristan, Nique & Javon are good shooters; 'Bari, Kee & KJ will be fine if they manage shot selection. I'm more worried about Evan & Eli. We don't need to have their presence felt on O at 3-pt line; but we do need if felt on D & leadership!

We had 2 Top-20-level recruiting classes; we're on verge of getting couple more 4 star recruits! In-case I'm not being clear enough: I'm still on the bandwagon that a couple wins over borderline Top-25 teams this year puts us in Top-25 by December or end of year. Only question I have is does Tad get youngsters to believe!

Played like ass. Got our brains beat in. Didn't count, so it's nothing more than a learning experience (if they respond properly to being humbled).

****braska was 7-20 last year..picked 11th in the Big 10 this year..has 5 freshmsn... a freshman transfers...
Dont kid yourself...that was an all out embarrassing performance..

The B1G usually gets 8-10 teams in the dance. The P12 will get 4.

We also have five freshmen.

It’s an exhibition. And again, we lost arguably the greatest player in school history. So I have to ask…

What the **** were people expecting for the first month or two?

Back