What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Men's Bball scheduled to host #15/16 USC (Thurs., 1/20/21, 5:30 PM MT, Pac 12 Network) & #9 UCLA (Sat., 7:00 PM, Pac 12 Network)

Hopefully we found what we needed in this 2nd half. There's a lot to build on.

Nique took a big step this week.
Jabari played angry tonight.
Lawson broke out a bit.
Most importantly -- KJ has established himself as our PG.

A couple possessions in both games this week make the difference from this young team making the NCAA tournament. Had they managed to win both close games, they would have picked up 2 top 20 wins and been in 2nd place in the PAC12. Young team overall but playing well and growing up quickly.

Obviously turnovers lost us this game but I was really happy with what I saw from Simpson and Lovering. I think some of these guys are growing up before our eyes. The future is bright.

Damn. Juzang was nails down the stretch. UCLA is really good. Buffs are growing up.
I think that's it in a nutshell. UCLA and USC are better than us. Not even so much on raw talent (shockingly). It's that they're veteran teams with talent, so they're further developed and don't lose focus like our young Buffs do.

I'm rooting for Kee to find himself. 2-2 shooting but I agree KJ has to have the keys. He is electric. Would be great it adds 10lbs of muscle in the off-season, could maybe say that for all the returning players. Lawson battled hard on defense, everyone should be rooting for him. And obviously his minutes were needed. Pretty much all the color commentators this year mention his potential. Oregon gonna be a steep challenge obviously.

NIT appears to be our ceiling this year but can't help but be excited for next year. Losing EB and EP is big (hang around another year Jabari!) but I'm thinking Allen and Ruffin providing they are healthy.plus Hurlburt will help us make the next step up.

After the loss to USC Tad talked abut how they got crushed on the boards, turned the ball well above their goal (max of 11) and didn't get enough points in the paint. Tonight they reversed two of those three, and in the second half did a lot better in the TO department.

UCLA has a lot of offensive weapons and CU did a solid job for stretches. But almost every time the Buffs closed the gap and looked like they were going to the game tied Johnny Juzang got the ball at the top of the key and hit a short jumper. He was remarkably calm and consistent.

My feeling after this last two games is that at some point this group is going to be very good. Don't know if will happen this season or next.. Tad was much more upbeat in the post game tonight and seemed to acknowledge the progress from the USC game.

On the LL watch (and I am not one that feels he should be glued to the bench) - in the first half he made a high - low entry to Walker that was finished with a flush and another that led to two made free throws. He made a layup and of the two turnovers he was credited with one wasn't his fault as there was a low pass that he touched just before it was stolen. And yes, he made a layup/

Simpson had a great stat sheet, 10 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and 1 turnover in 26 minutes. His one offensive rebound came when the Buffs were making a run was a McKinley Wright special - in traffic with a clean put back.

On the LL watch (and I am not one that feels he should be glued to the bench) - in the first half he made a high - low entry to Walker that was finished with a flush and another that led to two made free throws. He made a layup and of the two turnovers he was credited with one wasn't his fault as there was a low pass that he touched just before it was stolen. And yes, he made a layup/

Simpson had a great stat sheet, 10 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and 1 turnover in 26 minutes. His one offensive rebound came when the Buffs were making a run was a McKinley Wright special - in traffic with a clean put back.
LL = never going to amount to anything.

KJ = out of control !

So I don't have to look it up, anyone know off hand if there's treatment for bone spurs other than rest?
Anti inflammatory, pain killer of some sort, and time. Really about all you can do, as far as I know. Pain tolerance factors in as well, everybody is different in that regard. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Lovering's best game by far. Slowly gaining confidence.
He'll get there with time and experience, game definitely needs to slow down for him. Hell, you can say that about God knows how many players. I've already said this in another thread, he's got to get stronger, add some weight, footwork, and making up your mind to be aggressive, don't be scared of it. Do I think he'll ever be a 20 and 10 guy, no. I'd be happy to be wrong. If he could give like 10 to 14 and have his boards around 8 or 9 a game, that would be pretty ****ing good.

Lovering's defense was good last night, considering his inexperience and lack of weight/muscle. He was frustrating the bigger guys he was guarding and worked hard on it..

He's not confident now in his shooting, but he tried to make up for it by being active on offense, working screens, and trying to get assists like Jokic (well that's an extreme statement, but he wants to).

I would estimate his O/U was positive.

He'll get there with time and experience, game definitely needs to slow down for him. Hell, you can say that about God knows how many players. I've already said this in another thread, he's got to get stronger, add some weight, footwork, and making up your mind to be aggressive, don't be scared of it. Do I think he'll ever be a 20 and 10 guy, no. I'd be happy to be wrong. If he could give like 10 to 14 and have his boards around 8 or 9 a game, that would be pretty ****ing good.
Tad needs to drop the Crash Davis talk on him - “Don’t think, Rook. It can only hurt the team.”

Don’t think, just do.

Lovering's defense was good last night, considering his inexperience and lack of weight/muscle. He was frustrating the bigger guys he was guarding and worked hard on it..

He's not confident now in his shooting, but he tried to make up for it by being active on offense, working screens, and trying to get assists like Jokic (well that's an extreme statement, but he wants to).

I would estimate his O/U was positive.
According to the official CU stats LL was -2 last night. I'll ignore the offense for now, but it would have been really nice to get another rebound or two in the last couple of minutes of the first half last night. I guess I was hoping for more than 2 rebounds in 15 minutes, but maybe my expectations were too high.

According to the official CU stats LL was -2 last night. I'll ignore the offense for now, but it would have been really nice to get another rebound or two in the last couple of minutes of the first half last night. I guess I was hoping for more than 2 rebounds in 15 minutes, but maybe my expectations were too high.
He also got 2 tips on the offensive glass that caused ORebs & got us points.

They are too high right now. He can get there but, you gotta work for it. Hell, end of the day, he's gonna be the one that decides that. I'm not saying look in the mirror and say I'm gonna be Shaq, Hakeem, or Duncan etc. Simple question is, how good do you want to be? I'm also not saying he's not working hard, I'm sure he does. Just get the max out of what you have, after that, you can feel good about it.

He also got 2 tips on the offensive glass that caused ORebs & got us points.
They are too high right now. He can get there but, you gotta work for it. Hell, end of the day, he's gonna be the one that decides that. I'm not saying look in the mirror and say I'm gonna be Shaq, Hakeem, or Duncan etc. Simple question is, how good do you want to be? I'm also not saying he's not working hard, I'm sure he does. Just get the max out of what you have, after that, you can feel good about it.
I am not asking for him to be a generational talent at center, but I was hoping for freshmen year Dallas Walton numbers. 5.7 pts and 3.4 Reb in 18 minutes. I realize LL was never going to average 18 minutes a game, but it would certainly have been nice to get 4 and 2 in 8 minutes. I feel that is still possible if he limits turnovers and finds a way to stop getting his shot blocked.

I guess I need to turn my focus to Walker, da Silva, and Battey's inability to avoid foul trouble. If they collectively avoid one foul yesterday then LL is not forced to play 3+ minutes at the end of the half.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

But . . . -2 isn't too bad considering the Buffs were down by 17 at several points. His EFF was 4.0, the same as the experienced Barthelemy, in the same amount of minutes (15). I think the second half was better than the first half.

Yes, LL should do better, and that's my point, he could and will get stronger and more confident. I'm not dis'ing Walton, but LL has more up potential.

Last edited:
I'll let Tad worry about LL's development. I hope he takes a big step towards reaching that potential for the sake of next year's team.

I agree that his second half was much better than the first. I think part of the difference is he was playing minutes when it made sense to play him. Tad had no choice in the first half given the foul trouble, and that's not LL's fault.

I think that's it in a nutshell. UCLA and USC are better than us. Not even so much on raw talent (shockingly). It's that they're veteran teams with talent, so they're further developed and don't lose focus like our young Buffs do.
Yeah. Buffs tend to get a little helter skelter out their. The chemistry just isn’t their at times.

I'll let Tad worry about LL's development. I hope he takes a big step towards reaching that potential for the sake of next year's team.

I agree that his second half was much better than the first. I think part of the difference is he was playing minutes when it made sense to play him. Tad had no choice in the first half given the foul trouble, and that's not LL's fault.
I thought even his first half was a great improvement over previous games.

Lovering's play seems to be a lightning rod for commentary. Don't want to over do it, but I think the above^ comment is right on. He works very hard on both neds on every possession. Because Tad starts Battey, Walker and da Silva there is a lot of pressure on LL (by the fan base at least) to produce off the bench. So he gets heavily scrutinized, I get it. Almost every time he goes to the bench he's upset with himself. He really cares and he needs to just keep plugging away and not geet down on himself.

When my son and I discuss keys to winning a particular game I almost always state thee Walker, Battyee and da Silva have to stay out of foul trouble It's just so tough to get consistent scoring off the bench from LL and LOB.

I would never complain formally about officiating to NCAA, but I did for this game. The "intentional foul" call by referee Eric Curry was spot on. If you watch the replay UCLA #24 grabs Walker with both hands on either side of his arms which Curry could also see clearly. Then Mr. Inconsistency "Mike Reed" immediately goes to Curry to talk him out if, even though he calls the foul too. Curry to be gracious to his partner reviews the video and they overturn it. Curry tells Boyle, Boyle says nothing. Three minutes to go, trailing by 4 pts, "HOME" team making a rally against #9 team in the nation, and a referee overturns another referees call? This is never done, even the announcer (not dufus Walton) agreed. Questioning a ball out of play possession or which player committed the foul, this is classic referee partner support. Overturning a referee's foul call is not, let alone if it's intentional/flagrant. I could of changed the momentum of the game, extra freethrow(s?) and possession. Boyle needs to become a little more like Bobby Hurly and get more serious with these refs when they screw up so royally at the worst time possible.

I would never complain formally about officiating to NCAA, but I did for this game. The "intentional foul" call by referee Eric Curry was spot on. If you watch the replay UCLA #24 grabs Walker with both hands on either side of his arms which Curry could also see clearly. Then Mr. Inconsistency "Mike Reed" immediately goes to Curry to talk him out if, even though he calls the foul too. Curry to be gracious to his partner reviews the video and they overturn it. Curry tells Boyle, Boyle says nothing. Three minutes to go, trailing by 4 pts, "HOME" team making a rally against #9 team in the nation, and a referee overturns another referees call? This is never done, even the announcer (not dufus Walton) agreed. Questioning a ball out of play possession or which player committed the foul, this is classic referee partner support. Overturning a referee's foul call is not, let alone if it's intentional/flagrant. I could of changed the momentum of the game, extra freethrow(s?) and possession. Boyle needs to become a little more like Bobby Hurly and get more serious with these refs when they screw up so royally at the worst time possible.

Good points. However, Tad works the refs pretty good according to what I can see on the teevee. What do you guys who sit behind him think?

Good points. However, Tad works the refs pretty good according to what I can see on the teevee. What do you guys who sit behind him think?
Tad has worked the referees more this season than any of his previous seasons. He was on them at least 3 times in the UCLA game and at least twice vs USC. Rohn also got on the officials at least once during a timeout in the 1st half against USC.

Back