What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games we care about (MBB resume)

It’s looking like this is the year If we end the year with 12 or 13 so losses we could still be in tourney contention. Which is crazy. As long as we don’t lose to Cal. That Tennessee win will only keep getting better.

feel like I always hated/was jealous of those 14-15 loss Syracuse or Florida teams that always seemed to sneak in.

Cart before the horse obviously but this out of conference schedule really has us in a better place than we normally our metric wise at this point

Was hoping UMASS could do some work in conference and move up, but that doesn't look too possible.. They're at 84 and that's the highest ranked A-10 team. Boise just ahead of us at 41. ASU 26. Washington 101.

I have a feeling that CU is ready to go on an epic run. This is a very good basketball team that just took a little time to gel.

I have a feeling that CU is ready to go on an epic run. This is a very good basketball team that just took a little time to gel.
Hope your feeling is right. The million dollar question for me this year that could make a run possible: Who is the leader?

Grambling up 12 against a good mid major program Liberty. Darius McGhee is one of the best mid major players in the country. Would be a big win for them and us!

Last edited:
Hope your feeling is right. The million dollar question for me this year that could make a run possible: Who is the leader?
It's KJ. That's become obvious. He's starting to flex (sometimes literally) his skills in games ala a young Kin. The issue isn't leadership because TDS is starting to evolve into a leader role as well a Hadley a bit. The issue is the rest of the team after that where you have dudes who act/play like they don't even belong on the floor a lot of times.

I'm way behind updating the OP. Not sure what's been distracting me away from housekeeping in the hoops forum the past few weeks during my AllBuffs time. :unsure:

Anyway, here's the latest NET Rankings with CU's basic resume (#48 NET entering today).

After these next 2 weeks, conference strength will pretty much be set and will give a reasonable guess at the number of Dance teams each league will get.

Pac-12 is going to be in great shape, it appears. Here's conference RPI ranks entering today.
Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 6.14.25 PM.png

After these next 2 weeks, conference strength will pretty much be set and will give a reasonable guess at the number of Dance teams each league will get.

Pac-12 is going to be in great shape, it appears. Here's conference RPI ranks entering today.
View attachment 57129
JFC. What happened to the MWC? They used to be a pretty good basketball conference.

JFC. What happened to the MWC? They used to be a pretty good basketball conference.
Last year the mountain west sent 4 teams to the tourney. The pac sent 3. The mountain west was 0-4 in the tourney. The pac 12 was 4-3. Guess who the 4th team in the pac 12 was last year that didn’t make the cut? The mountain west had super inflated metrics last year. Wyoming was supposed to be really good this year returning Ike and Maldonado and 3 USC/UCLA transfers. Ike’s been hurt and they havent been as good. CSU lost a first round pick Roddy and 4 year rotation players Moore, Thistlewood and depth. Boise State beat us and wazzu and is still good. SDSU is good. Basically MWC non conference gave them a huge bump in metrics last year and this year they’ve had way more losses.

View attachment 57129
Even with these numbers, come March, the Pac-12 will get 4 tourney invites and the Big Ten will get 9.

And that's with New Mexico currently undefeated at 11-0.
Speaking of a school that tore down every barrier to allow "student" athletes to get in. I've got two buddies who played at UNM and they just laugh about what they're hearing about that program's morals at the moment. But hey, they're winning!

Speaking of a school that tore down every barrier to allow "student" athletes to get in. I've got two buddies who played at UNM and they just laugh about what they're hearing about that program's morals at the moment. But hey, they're winning!
The program has reverted to the Norm Ellenburger days. They have been soooo bad in the last decade so they have sold their soul to be competitive again.

UNM hasn't played anyone, but Pitino was given a lot of freedom to make them good again. Basketball school that wants to be a hoops power again with attending a game at the Pit being a tough ticket like it used to be. They're on their way. I'm not sure anyone GAF if the academic standards for MBB players are lax.

UNM hasn't played anyone, but Pitino was given a lot of freedom to make them good again. Basketball school that wants to be a hoops power again with attending a game at the Pit being a tough ticket like it used to be. They're on their way. I'm not sure anyone GAF if the academic standards for MBB players are lax.
No one should GAF. Success in sports drives an entire university. Give athletes a pass because they make all your money.

OP is fully updated.

CU enters today at 8-5 with a #59 NET.

Today's games we care about:

COLORADO (59) at Stanford (100). 9pm, ESPNU. This is a Quad 2, but 100's the cutoff so if we win it will probably be Quad 3. Big game for both.
Grambling (162) vs North American. 6pm. This game won't count for anything but perception. Bank the win.
UC Riverside (151) vs CS Bakersfield (300). 6pm, ESPN+. Conference opener with a great chance to get things started well.
Northern Colorado (213) at Weber State (208). 7pm, ESPN+. Conference opener. Winnable.
Utah (44) at Cal (318). 8pm, PACN. Cal looks hopeless and Utah much improved. But you never know.

Lobos killing the sheep at half.
New Mexico is a dangerous team and getting better each game. Funny what happens when you lower your admissions standards to "has a pulse", a few key alumni open their wallets and your players have no requirements to attend class. They were desperate for a winner down there again and did whatever they needed to to put the pieces in place.

New Mexico is a dangerous team and getting better each game. Funny what happens when you lower your admissions standards to "has a pulse", a few key alumni open their wallets and your players have no requirements to attend class. They were desperate for a winner down there again and did whatever they needed to to put the pieces in place.
Just so everyone's clear - I think most of us are applauding UNM for this. They're a damn good basketball school with one of the iconic arenas in the nation. Them sucking at hoops should not be tolerated. For them, it's the front porch of the university and vital to its marketing, community engagement, etc.

Watching them last night, it's a team that is dangerous. They're athletic. They can fill it up from 3. House is a stud with Mashburn an excellent battery made. And I really like Udeze as a physical presence on the inside they were missing last year (transfer from Wichita State). Pitino is doing a heck of a job there.

Just so everyone's clear - I think most of us are applauding UNM for this. They're a damn good basketball school with one of the iconic arenas in the nation. Them sucking at hoops should not be tolerated. For them, it's the front porch of the university and vital to its marketing, community engagement, etc.

Watching them last night, it's a team that is dangerous. They're athletic. They can fill it up from 3. House is a stud with Mashburn an excellent battery made. And I really like Udeze as a physical presence on the inside they were missing last year (transfer from Wichita State). Pitino is doing a heck of a job there.
Whenever UMM is good, they always have some guards that can score and a good big or two. It's funny though, I kept seeing that House dude scoring and kept wondering if he was related to Eddie House because I remembered watching him play. Sure enough, it's his dad. Jamal Mashburn Jr was easy enough. :D We gettin old man.

Totally agree. I love the fact that they are back. They play a fun brand of basketball.

Back