What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Grade the 2022 Recruiting Class

What grade would you give the 2022 recruiting class?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A-

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B+

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • B

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • B-

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • C+

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • C

Votes: 27 20.9%
  • C-

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • D

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • F

Votes: 8 6.2%

• Total voters
'would like to change my grade to a B from Cplus/B- I didn;t watch the Travis Gray film at LT. The strenght of the class is the DBs. Also despite having a horrible offense last year and not having a OL coach or OC/WR coach. The Buffs did well in recruiting for the offense. Getting
Mcown QB his dad is a big fan of KD. Good looking prospect.
Venn RB elite speed
Page WR elite athlete
Tyson WR great ball skills
Sewell WR great ball skills
Travis Gray LT 6'7'' 295 pounds already. Will enroll early in January, should be at 315 pounds heading into fall camp.
Carter Edwards RT smart kid wants be an Aerospace Engineer.

Impact players for me are
Mccown QB in abour 1 ro 2 years
Venn RB
A Smith ILB
Dixon S/ILB
Kerry OLB
Wiggins CB
Mills CB
X Smith S
Oake Salive(Sp) S/QB
Travis Gray in about 2 or 3 years.
Carter Edwards in about 2 or 3 years.
One to two years after they redshirt, of course.

Portal effects are difficult to rank at this juncture. The services don’t have a good gauge on that yet but it’s about where I thought they’d end up. Mid 50-ish nationally and bottom quarter in the PAC12 when looking at avg recruit rank. There are only maybe one or two handfuls of P5 teams who rank worse.

I guess you could argue that quantity does matter, at least to a point. More opportunities to find the needle in the haystack. Yay.

Addressing needs with Jefferson, Harkey, and Mack is a step in the right direction. Anyone not excited about Jefferson hasn't watched the tape.

Hankerson and Tyson are recruiting blunders. How those dudes aren't getting the rankings equivalent to their talent level is baffling. But a great benefit to the Buffs.

Van Wells, Dylan Dixson, and McCown appear to be recruits who can make an immediate impact.

Addressing needs with Jefferson, Harkey, and Mack is a step in the right direction. Anyone not excited about Jefferson hasn't watched the tape.

Hankerson and Tyson are recruiting blunders. How those dudes aren't getting the rankings equivalent to their talent level is baffling. But a great benefit to the Buffs.

Van Wells, Dylan Dixson, and McCown appear to be recruits who can make an immediate impact.
Jefferson, Harkey and Mack are damn good pick ups. Hankerson could be an absolute steal.
As for the other Frosh you mention, I'm not sure why people are so high on Tyson. Put me in the camp of him needing a year. Same with Wells. I'm 50/50 on Dixon for next year, but given the horror show that is our defensive backfield he could likely see time if he shows out in camp.

Any way you look at it it’s the second best class in a decade, and with the benefit of hindsight on Tucker’s class, it is likely to turn into the best class.

That said, it’s a baseline class for what this program needs to be competitive. Because of that, I give it a C to this point with the possibility of being bumped to a C+ or even B- with the multiple additions that will come in after Spring.

Jefferson, Harkey and Mack are damn good pick ups. Hankerson could be an absolute steal.
As for the other Frosh you mention, I'm not sure why people are so high on Tyson. Put me in the camp of him needing a year. Same with Wells. I'm 50/50 on Dixon for next year, but given the horror show that is our defensive backfield he could likely see time if he shows out in camp.
I’m high on Tyson because he was a stud at small school Texas program and was subsequently recruited by big school Texas program and continued being a stud, and arguably best player. 1st team All-State for the biggest classification in the most competitive football state in the country? Yeah, he should have been rated higher.

I'm not sure why people are so high on Tyson. Put me in the camp of him needing a year.
He may need a year, but HCKD didn't shy away from true frosh WRs playing last year. As for why people are high on Tyson. Played at the highest level of Texas ball, tape shows a physical receiver with great catch radius, and was a 1st team All-State player...so, I'm not sure why you're not excited about him.

While there are definitely guys who will play as True Freshman, I'm also not grading this class on the number of immediate contributors. Obviously the transfers, Brown, Sneed, Mack, and Jefferson are all likely to be immediate starters/contributors. Chance Main will also play quite a bit I suspect with him being a 1 to play 1 guy and Harkey might be in the OL rotation, but at worst provides some Tackle depth in 2022.

As for the Freshman, I think Tyson, Dixson, Venn and and Aubrey Smith could all see meaningful snaps. Jason Oliver and Justin Wiggins also have that potential.

QB, OL, and DL recruiting is pretty bad IMO.
I think OL recruiting is mediocre this cycle, especially if they are able to pull in another solid transfer, but I agree on DL. I really don't know what the plan is there and keeping Lang might be the best recruiting they've done for 2022.

I think QB is hard to judge on an individual basis, but my biggest concern there is what they are looking for in a QB. They seemed to want traditional pocket passer/pro style with Shrout, Kopp and McCown, but they also recruited Carter last year and have now accepted Staub's commitment, both if whom are more of the DT variety. I'm not opposed to that, and maybe Sanford has said he wants a more athletic QB, particularly with the OL struggles?

QB recruting is okay. You can recruit both DT QB and pro style QBs and then adjust your system to a system that fits the skill set of the guy under center. OL recruiting could be better, but they have added Brown, Harkey, Wells, Gray and Edwards this cycle. That is about 5. The numbers is okay, don't know about the quality until they put pads on.

I think OL recruiting is mediocre this cycle, especially if they are able to pull in another solid transfer, but I agree on DL. I really don't know what the plan is there and keeping Lang might be the best recruiting they've done for 2022.

I think QB is hard to judge on an individual basis, but my biggest concern there is what they are looking for in a QB. They seemed to want traditional pocket passer/pro style with Shrout, Kopp and McCown, but they also recruited Carter last year and have now accepted Staub's commitment, both if whom are more of the DT variety. I'm not opposed to that, and maybe Sanford has said he wants a more athletic QB, particularly with the OL struggles?
I firmly believe Sanford has no idea what he has and what he wants at QB at this point. That's a big problem and one he evidently had at Minnesota as well.

Why do you firmly believe that?
1) The guys on the roster vs who they've brought in/recruited
2) Insight from Gopher buddies

What we have is:
- A DT (?) starter who sucked a$$ last year (Lewis)
- An injured pro style returner with potential (Shrout)
- An unknown and seemingly untrusted backup "athlete" (Carter)
- An undersized pro style newcomer with unknown potential (McCown)
- A prototypical sized pro style transfer who looks very rough (Kopp)
- An undersized DT commit (Staub)

There isn't excatly a thread that connects these guys. I've been told that was the case in the UM QB room as well.

1) The guys on the roster vs who they've brought in/recruited
2) Insight from Gopher buddies

What we have is:
- A DT (?) starter who sucked a$$ last year (Lewis)
- An injured pro style returner with potential (Shrout)
- An unknown and seemingly untrusted backup "athlete" (Carter)
- An undersized pro style newcomer with unknown potential (McCown)
- A prototypical sized pro style transfer who looks very rough (Kopp)
- An undersized DT commit (Staub)

There isn't excatly a thread that connects these guys. I've been told that was the case in the UM QB room as well.
And Sanford didn't recruit any of them other than Staub... I also take everything with Minnesota's offense with a grain of salt. Placing blame squarely on Sanford is absolving Fleck, who is an offensive guy. CU fan wants to spread the offensive blame from 2021 to Dorrell just as much as Chev, yet want to place 100% of the blame in Minnesota on Sanford. As with everything, it's somewhere in between.

While there are definitely guys who will play as True Freshman, I'm also not grading this class on the number of immediate contributors. Obviously the transfers, Brown, Sneed, Mack, and Jefferson are all likely to be immediate starters/contributors. Chance Main will also play quite a bit I suspect with him being a 1 to play 1 guy and Harkey might be in the OL rotation, but at worst provides some Tackle depth in 2022.

As for the Freshman, I think Tyson, Dixson, Venn and and Aubrey Smith could all see meaningful snaps. Jason Oliver and Justin Wiggins also have that potential.
We will see on Venn. Hagan isn’t averse to putting Freshmen in the rotation, but he also doesn’t have a history of getting them a lot of meaningful snaps. He’ll have to really show out or benefit from some injuries to other guys in order to get more than a few snaps per game, IMO.

McCown looks sneaky athletic as F...so, between McCown and Staub I definitely see some QB similarities.

B-

If C is average then this class is slightly better than average for CU. The player rating average for this class compared to 2020 is a little deceiving. Removing the four <82 ranked players from 2020 increases the average from 85.63 to 86.81. This class doesn't have the same drop off but it's also nowhere near 2020's top end talent. Excited for Dixson, Smith and the transfers but not much else. Hope I'm wrong

What percentage of our peers (Pac12 and P5) was our class worse than?

0-20%: A
20-40%: B
40-60%: C
60-80%: D
90-100%: F

By 247 point score we're probably somewhere around a C.

By average recruit ranking, probably somewhere around an F.

For context, here is the average 247 recruit rankings over the last ten years:

2022: 0.8542 (19 Commits)
2021: 0.8392 (19 Commits)
2020: 0.8563 (23 Commits)
2019: 0.8491 (26 Commits)
2018: 0.8449 (25 Commits)
2017: 0.8521 (30 Commits)
2016: 0.8353 (17 Commits)
2015: 0.8305 (19 Commits)
2014: 0.8011 (24 Commits)
2013: 0.8151 (21 Commits)
2012: 0.8407 (27 Commits)

About the same grade as Midnight Mel's class.

Last edited:
F, because I have zero faith in the program. Absolutely zero other rationale. I'll convince myself to be excited for the games this fall, but can't be bothered to muster any interest or excitement about the program as it is.

Absolutely a baseless grade, I just don't have the energy to believe in what has been a truly disastrous two decades of Buffs football.

Strong F. Almost no one that can contribute this year on a team that was ****ty as hell last year. Another class that will keep us where we have been the past 20 years, dead last place in conference, and no bowl game. Until we finish in top 25 - 30 in recruiting for 2 - 3 consecutive years (based on average stars) we will continue to live in the land of ineptitude and irrelevance.

Back