What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If it's a Pac-12 / Big 12 merger, what would be the best 16-20 teams?

I also don't discount the possibility of a western conference for everything but football and football being independents with a scheduling alliance (like the old eastern independents when the Big East first formed). Of course, that crashed and burned. 😁

Even if it is an independent CU football team that is part of a conference that consists of UA, ASU, Utah, BYU, Utah State, Wyoming, CSU, AFA, and UNM? Maybe NMSU & UTEP too?

Basketball could be awesome in that case. One can dream right?

They are also guaranteed a game in CA every year with USC and UCLA. I dont see what Stanford brings either
And let’s be honest, how important is that Stanford game to ND anyway? Do Irish fans circle that date on the calendar? Stanford fans (such as they are) sure don’t.

Michigan and Notre Dame, however, should play every single year. I don’t understand why that annual series ended. I know they’ve played a couple recently, but I looked forward to watching that game every year.

They are also guaranteed a game in CA every year with USC and UCLA. I dont see what Stanford brings either

Assuming they are guaranteed to a game against both every year, sure. But with a road game against Stanford and USC/UCLA every other year they are guaranteed a game in both NoCal and SoCal. Although I would think that a game in SoCal every year would be sufficient since I'm guessing that's where the vast majority of the high school talent comes from.

And let’s be honest, how important is that Stanford game to ND anyway? Do Irish fans circle that date on the calendar? Stanford fans (such as they are) sure don’t.

Michigan and Notre Dame, however, should play every single year. I don’t understand why that annual series ended. I know they’ve played a couple recently, but I looked forward to watching that game every year.
When speaking to ND fans, USC is their football rival.

Michigan, Michigan State, Stanford, Purdue, Boston College and Navy are all in that next category of traditional rivals but not as important as an "every year" opponent.

They like that they mix it up and also have history with programs like Texas, Miami, Penn State, etc.

I’ve been a fan of RG. But my confidence has taken a big hit with the Mel Tucker / Karl Dorrell fiasco. I just don’t trust we have anyone with a vision nor the wherewithal to achieve it. CU will be having leftovers for dinner I’m afraid.

Last edited:
i don't ****ing care. CU will likely never again be relevant in football, the only sport that ****ing matters, so who cares what conference we're in.

So ND would get a guaranteed game in California every year. Plus they could uphold their bull**** fake image of only playing "elite academic" institutions :rolleyes:
They’ve never been in the same conference and play each other every year - again I don’t see any benefit to ND dragging Stanford anywhere.

They seem to have some kind of a footprint there in the Bay Area.

Copyright © 2022 University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame California Palo Alto, CA 94303 calif@nd.edu
Accessibility Information

They seem to have some kind of a footprint there in the Bay Area.

Copyright © 2022 University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame California Palo Alto, CA 94303 calif@nd.edu
Accessibility Information

Not sure what any of that has to do with ND wanting Stanford in the BIG.

Not sure what any of that has to do with ND wanting Stanford in the BIG.
Because Stanford is in the Bay Area and they’d probably make that a demand that they played once in the Bay Area and once in LA every year. I would if I was drawing alums and new students from there.

Because Stanford is in the Bay Area and they’d probably make that a demand that they played once in the Bay Area and once in LA every year. I would if I was drawing alums and new students from there.
They don’t need Stanford to be in the BIG to play them, they aren’t in the same conference now and play every year. This idea that somehow ND would insist on Stanford joins them in the BIG is nonsense.

When speaking to ND fans, USC is their football rival.

Michigan, Michigan State, Stanford, Purdue, Boston College and Navy are all in that next category of traditional rivals but not as important as an "every year" opponent.

They like that they mix it up and also have history with programs like Texas, Miami, Penn State, etc.

This is why they have never, and probably will never, join a conference in football. They value their independence too much. They have their NBC contract, which is locked in until 2025, and they can schedule whomever they want.

Notre Dame can get any game it wants every year. And they can do it with 9 of 12 being home games or "neutral" games in NFL stadiums that get aired on its own media deal. It would take a hell of a package to get them to join a conference.

They don’t need Stanford to be in the BIG to play them, they aren’t in the same conference now and play every year. This idea that somehow ND would insist on Stanford joins them in the BIG is nonsense.
True. ND most likely isnt gonna join anyways.

I've been thinking way too much about this. 😁

Here's a first stab at it

Pac-12 selections:

1. Washington
2. Oregon
3. Stanford
4. Cal
5. Arizona
6. Arizona State
7. Utah
8. Colorado

Locks down all footprint states while doubling down in the huge Bay Area media market and the AZ market which is growing like nowhere else but GA. I take UA, not just ASU, due to the name brand (even it's mostly in hoops) because this conference needs cache. WSU & OSU get left behind because they don't add markets or prestige.

Big 12 selections:

1. Baylor
2. Houston
3. TCU
4. Texas Tech
5. Oklahoma State
6. Kansas
7. BYU
8. Iowa State
No way in hell Stanford doesn't go to the B1G, they are one of the premier research institutions in the world. No way they're staying in a conference with a bunch of dregs. They'll have no part of a new garbage PAC/Big 12 merger.
Ideally, Cinci, UCF, and Houston wouldn't be joining the Big 12 but I don't see that ending without a major legal battle, something the new conference won't want to deal with. Stanford and Cal to the Big 10 would be best for CU. Neither of those schools give a crap about football and that would leave room for Oregon State and Washington State and the Big 12 as is plus the four new members, a 20-team conference. WSU's fb revenue is similar to Stanford's and Cal's football revenue is less than OSU. Lol, Cal might as well be funded by their swimming and diving team. What's best for CU would be WSU and OSU, not Cal Stanford.

This is about TV money. Stanford is no better than Northwestern in that regard.
Stanford is far worse in that regard ^^

The Big 10 and SEC will make their buck, if not by picking up Oregon, ND, and Washington then Kansas, UNC, or Duke. OU, ND, and Washington can afford to wait and see. For our sake, we better hope they're swayed by a PAC & Big 12 basketball conference. People forget how much money the tournament makes for the NCAA, a sizable portion which is then returned to the conferences based on 6 year rolling performance

Maybe they can research how to add $70m+ per year to the B1G.

The only way they get in is if ND drags them in.
Wrong.

Last edited:
The games that I’ve watched being played at the Rose Bowl have been pretty bare as well.
The Rose Bowl, for all its history, is a pretty terrible college football stadium outside the Bowl game. It’s almost 30 miles from UCLA’s campus so it’s an effort to get people there. It’s about as far from campus as Empower Field is from Boulder.

The Rose Bowl, for all its history, is a pretty terrible college football stadium outside the Bowl game. It’s almost 30 miles from UCLA’s campus so it’s an effort to get people there. It’s about as far from campus as Empower Field is from Boulder.
That puts it into better perspective for me. I knew it was off campus, but didn’t realize it was that far.

How come Colorado, Utah. Arizona and ASU are meeting today with Big 12?
I meant if we were ranking all the teams records etc, we'd be left out. But we do have a fairly large media market and a geographic footprint that makes sense and a history of success my great grandpa remembers...LOL. Of course, geography means nothing anymore...it's about the money...imagine that...

Colorado passed Minnesota to become #21 in population and is growing 2x-6x as fast as the states in front of it for those within 1M of CO (WI, MO, MD, IN, TN, MA). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_population

Az & WA are the next states on the list, both with double digit growth from 2010-2021.

Denver, likewise, is a growing Top 20 metro.

State flagship in that metro with an attractive research institution profile and P5 level facilities is attractive.

CU's problem isn't that the package isn't attractive. It is. CU is more valuable than many current B1G and SEC members. Our problem is that we're on the outside looking in and we're not attractive enough to take a revenue share while increasing the value of the revenue shares for the 16 teams already inside. Very few schools (maybe only Notre Dame) have enough juice to overcome that math.

A couple thoughts...

1. Option 3 is cool and all but splitting a $500m(??) TV deal 24 ways (or maybe some programs would get more than others) is probably not sustainable, as that's $21m/school. That conference would need a $1B/year deal to be legitimate, and to even be remotely competitive with the other two, it'd have to be closer to $2B, which isn't happening.

2. Option 1 would be the best. 16 teams, Oregon and Washington included

3. One consistent thing I'm noticing on Twitter from fans other programs, writers and other media types is that CU is neither being mentioned as a great addition to a conference OR as a candidate to be left out completely. Basically, most people believe CU has a place among the second tier programs, which is encouraging. There's also a WSJ article out there that claimed 10 teams have reached out to Kevin Warren about B1G admission and a few media types have speculated that CU is one of them.

Back