What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If Sark or Calhoun, does this mean there is a major division within the AD/CU?

I am going to echo what others have already said. I don't think RG & LC land on Calhoun. They both value recruiting way, way too much.

So if it's Calhoun, I think we see both of them leave as soon as an opportunity presents itself.

The school and AD will also see a lot less of me and my (very small) donation and ticket $.

I think the finalists are a reflection of doing a coaching search unexpectedly in February, not necessarily an indication of division... You're already picking from a more limited pool... If we also did our due diligence on Bielema and Bieniemy, as reported, then they all have contrasting styles and backgrounds -- which indicates that RG is trying to unearth quality candidates from wherever and he's not necessarily looking for one type of candidate.

I think the finalists are a reflection of doing a coaching search unexpectedly in February, not necessarily an indication of division... You're already picking from a more limited pool... If we also did our due diligence on Bielema and Bieniemy, as reported, then they all have contrasting styles and backgrounds -- which indicates that RG is trying to unearth quality candidates from wherever and he's not necessarily looking for one type of candidate.
I don’t believe, even given the challenging circumstances of this search, that RG has a scattershot approach here where he’s just looking for a good coach without some specific set of qualities. No way.

I don’t believe, even given the challenging circumstances of this search, that RG has a scattershot approach here where he’s just looking for a good coach without some specific set of qualities. No way.

He said at the beginning of the search that he was going to keep an open mind on the candidates, which is kind of a throwaway line -- but I think occam's razor says that the finalists are more a reflection of the limited pool of candidates than an indication of dissension in the ranks... I don't think we've seen any indication that anyone is forcing RG's hand into considering certain candidates.

But I suppose anything is possible?

Yeah - and apparently sometime within the last several months (I actually think it was before MT even left) Lance Carl gave an interview where he actually said that he kept and regularly updated a list of about 10 coaches that he "kept his eye on" just in case CU needed to conduct an unexpected coaching search.

Seriously, that's just a best practice in the industry - so it's not really surprising that he does it.

I think we can surmise two things with a great deal of confidence:
1. That list was based on qualities they look for in a HC, it wasn't regularly updated based on "who is available at this moment right now."
2. That list absolutely was the first thing they started with last Wednesday.

Some names were, of course, taken off due to "current availability," and I'm sure some names were added as well. But I highly doubt any were added for no other reason than "they're currently available."

Many here talk like there are a lot of choices that CU get to make, and it's all our decisions on how this ends up. The candidates have choices too. You might get a Calhoun because it's our only choice. From a negotiating point of view "you get to look at the flatirons" only goes so far a few weeks from Spring ball.
God people, we are not CSU. We are grouped with tons of other D1 programs that can't spend like Ohio State. But we are not 120th out of 120.
Mel Tucker was a big name hire and we were paying him what was market rate at the time, despite a buyout to HCMM.
And there's no reason that this timing is going to limit the pool. If guys are interested in coaching here (HC's as well as AC's), they won't hesitate to come forward thru their representatives.

If they pick Calhoun, its because they think Sarkisian is too likely to have a meltdown-We can't afford to make another change because Sark came here and relapsed within a year or two. Its also not that far fetched that RG/LC are told by the admin that they're following Sarkisian out if they give him and he relapses too.

If they pick Calhoun, its because they think Sarkisian is too likely to have a meltdown-We can't afford to make another change because Sark came here and relapsed within a year or two. Its also not that far fetched that RG/LC are told by the admin that they're following Sarkisian out if they give him and he relapses too.
We should move the Scotch and Bourbon threads to barzil in a show of solidarity.

Calhoun and Sark can’t be the two finalists, they just can’t. I said something similar to the OP in another thread for the same reasons.

Honestly I think Calhoun is being used as a stalking horse in this process - a well respected coach the local media will slob who can help keep pressure on the top candidate. I believe that candidate is Sark and if we can’t get to a deal with him then our fallback is likely Chev. He’d be an easier fallback to get behind if your a fan or booster than someone like Bielema.

RG values recruiting too much to be seriously considering Calhoun IMO.
I thought that was why Bieniemy was being considered, tbh

This admin let Mike Bohn hire 2 failed coaches and one very mediocre coach on top of not being a great fundraiser and you think they’d dump RG for a coach having a relapse?

I think they really wanted Bieniemy as a candidate but ultimately EB decided he was an NFL coach now.
Agreed, but I think we all knew EB wasn't seriously considering the job from the get go, but he may have let the University float his name out there in the interim to help give the University leverage and make EB look good when he ultimately turns it down.

This admin let Mike Bohn hire 2 failed coaches and one very mediocre coach on top of not being a great fundraiser and you think they’d dump RG for a coach having a relapse?

Given the anti-athletics shift of the BoR (Kroll, Shoemaker, and Smith have all won seats since RG's appointment as AD).......I don't think that its that far fetched. I think its more likely that RG just decided the football program can't afford another search after a year or two.

Given the anti-athletics shift of the BoR (Kroll, Shoemaker, and Smith have all won seats since RG's appointment as AD).......I don't think that its that far fetched. I think its more likely that RG just decided the football program can't afford another search after a year or two.
Why? RG did the search himself last time, and it didn't cost the AD much at all. And he just picked up $3M from Tucker's departure, so the football program can now afford the search more than it could last time.

If I'm EB, having gone thru 7 NFL interviews over the last two years without a job offer, I might not (any longer) consider myself a NFL head coach.

Why? RG did the search himself last time, and it didn't cost the AD much at all. And he just picked up $3M from Tucker's departure, so the football program can now afford the search more than it could last time.

From a recruiting/growth perspective. If its not Sarkisian, its because RG thinks he's not sober enough for the job is my point.

From a recruiting/growth perspective. If its not Sarkisian, its because RG thinks he's not sober enough for the job is my point.
Ah, I misunderstood you. The "another search" you refer to would be if Sarkisian fell off the wagon or something....

I keep going back to what RG/LC listed as the most important goals in replacing McIntyre. As I recall, they prioritized:
-Recruiting
-Experience at the highest level programs
-A shared vision for the program

After they hired Tucker, they also promoted his:
-experience as an interim head coach
-NFL coordinator
-Development under great college coaches (Saban, Smart, Tressel)

Taking that into consideration, I don't see how Calhoun fits into those criteria. On the other hand, Sark's resume can boast: great recruiting history; stops at USC, Bama & Washington, head coaching experience, NFL coordinator, development under Carrol & Saban.

Only way I see this not being Sark is if he turns them down.

I keep going back to what RG/LC listed as the most important goals in replacing McIntyre. As I recall, they prioritized:
-Recruiting
-Experience at the highest level programs
-A shared vision for the program

After they hired Tucker, they also promoted his:
-experience as an interim head coach
-NFL coordinator
-Development under great college coaches (Saban, Smart, Tressel)

Taking that into consideration, I don't see how Calhoun fits into those criteria. On the other hand, Sark's resume can boast: great recruiting history; stops at USC, Bama & Washington, head coaching experience, NFL coordinator, development under Carrol & Saban.

Only way I see this not being Sark is if he turns them down.
Sark will not turn this down. He wants a shot at stomping a ****ing mud hole in SC for the next 20 years.

I don't see how one hiring manager would land at these guys as his final 2 candidates for the job. There's contrast and then there's this. It would be like going to a restaurant and saying you couldn't decide between the plain oatmeal and the atomic hot wings. I'm having trouble believing, if these are actually our final 2, that it's not 2 camps at CU instead of a unified search.

Give me the atomic hot wings. Explosive coming in and going out, but at least we’ll have a good time!

Back