What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Insane money. Brian Kelly purportedly going to LSU for about $15mil per year

How much Is CU willing to pay a top coach if one is available or interested?
sitepandawhalecom GIF

Here is LC telling the story of contract negotiations with RG and the CU admin and BoR…

*Nick Saban to Alabama donors/AD/coffers right now*

Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN
I was just thinking this- given what Riley is getting at USC, what Tucker is getting at MSU, what Kelly is getting at LSU and so on, is there a better deal than Saban's contract currently?

I was just thinking this- given what Riley is getting at USC, what Tucker is getting at MSU, what Kelly is getting at LSU and so on, is there a better deal than Saban's contract currently?
Only if you are measuring by wins.

I think we’ve seen the upper limit at CU.
And now we will see the gap between the haves and have nots get even bigger. CU will fall farther behind. Doing things like keeping Danny for year five, saddling the dept. with an unmanageable contract on HCKD, delays CU from making the moves th4e haves make to stay in the game. CU will rapidly, along with many other programs, become perennial also rans in their conferences.

Wouldn't be a surprise to hear sometime in the next month or two about a "reset" to Saban's contract pushing him further back out front again.

That said he doesn't suffer from poverty.

He just signed a new deal that pays him over $10 million a year New deal but he may have an agreement that they will keep him on top of the heap.

In addition to his coaching he is a partner in multiple car dealerships (mercedes-benz) and has a number of other business and investment supplements to his income

And now we will see the gap between the haves and have nots get even bigger. CU will fall farther behind. Doing things like keeping Danny for year five, saddling the dept. with an unmanageable contract on HCKD, delays CU from making the moves th4e haves make to stay in the game. CU will rapidly, along with many other programs, become perennial also rans in their conferences.
I think we will have to re-think how we define “being in the game”. With the right admin support, our ceiling is probably a consistent 9-win team. We are a long way from that ceiling. We won’t ever be a true MNC contender again. These teams that are paying ridiculous amounts of money for coaches all fancy themselves MNC contenders.
If I’m being honest, consistently winning 9 games a year and regularly going to bowl games sounds really good. Leave the crazy **** to schools like LSU and USC. We don’t play in that sandbox and probably never will.

I think we will have to re-think how we define “being in the game”. With the right admin support, our ceiling is probably a consistent 9-win team. We are a long way from that ceiling. We won’t ever be a true MNC contender again. These teams that are paying ridiculous amounts of money for coaches all fancy themselves MNC contenders.
If I’m being honest, consistently winning 9 games a year and regularly going to bowl games sounds really good. Leave the crazy **** to schools like LSU and USC. We don’t play in that sandbox and probably never will.
I see your point but I think consistent 9 win seasons is probably beyond their reach as well. I’d say consistent 7-8 wins is achievable with the right mix of administration from above and good coaching/recruiting. 9 wins every year is, well, in the realm of Florida, Okie Light, Wiscy, etc. and I just don’t see that as realistic.

A few years ago, I wanted CU to be a perennial bowl team, challenge for a conference championship every few years and be a national player occasionally.

Now, I would just settle for being a .500 or better team. CU cannot even manage that.

But, to your point, I think you are right. CU will never be nationally relevant again. It remains to be seen if the PTB can figure out how to support and field teams that at least win as much as they lose.

The last sixteen years have killed a great deal of the interest.

When Dabo leaves, will Clemson be willing to pony up $15MM+/yr for his replacement? I have my doubts. In fact, I wonder if they’d be willing to pay Dabo that. Clemson, while undeniably very strong, plays in a conference with a pretty weak media payout when compared to their “peers”. I’m sure they have good booster support, but even that has its limits. If Sark has another year next year like he had this, do the hats in Austin throw stooopid money at Dabo? That’s exactly the kind of thing they’d do to make an impact in the SEC.

Getting big money out will be nearly impossible. I would like a change where these coaches can’t jump ship before the season is over. Pretty unfair to the kids for their bowl games. Set a date for all this craziness. ESPN can cover it.

Wouldn't be a surprise to hear sometime in the next month or two about a "reset" to Saban's contract pushing him further back out front again.

That said he doesn't suffer from poverty.

He just signed a new deal that pays him over $10 million a year New deal but he may have an agreement that they will keep him on top of the heap.

In addition to his coaching he is a partner in multiple car dealerships (mercedes-benz) and has a number of other business and investment supplements to his income

Back