What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

J-Fly Bye Bye?

"Board"? "Appeal"?

What's this, now?

From the Buffzone article:

Smith has appealed Bohn’s decision to a committee that oversees such situations, and he should know within two weeks whether the committee will overrule Bohn.

The committee is mandated for all schools under NCAA bylaw 13-1-1-31 and is made up of personnel outside of the athletic department. CU’s panel consists of three professors.

I'm with you. Right now it's all a lot of intrigue and innuendo but there is some reason Bohn singled out ASU and I sincerely doubt it's because his feelings are hurt.

Im sure they singled out USC because he has no chance to play there. He's basically saying, "if you leave CU, we will make it as difficult as possible for you to play football," without having to come out and say it...strategery, rodrigo, strategery!

I fully agree, but if a kid hits you do you hit em back? Be the bigger person and just let him go and don't let him back when he realizes he made a mistake. You can't walk out like an asshole and expect anything.

College is a learning experience. One of the things you should be learning that there are consequences for your actions. The University made a commitment to him, and he made a commitment to the University. Now he wants to break that commitment. The school never went to him and said "hey, Josh, we think we'd be better off if you went somewhere else". This was all his doing, and he needs to accept responsibility for his actions. I think it's fully within the school's rights to try to salvage as much out of the situation as possible.

Complete speculation here but I wonder if Bohn has some reason to believe that someone is tampering with Josh, a little "talk to your friend and tell him that he is more than welcome here" stuff.

If that is the case then Bohn would be very justified in what he is doing.

Complete speculation here but I wonder if Bohn has some reason to believe that someone is tampering with Josh, a little "talk to your friend and tell him that he is more than welcome here" stuff.

If that is the case then Bohn would be very justified in what he is doing.

Would you put it past Dennis Erickson?

I sure as hell wouldn't. I have no problem at all with how this was handled on Bohn's part.

College is a learning experience. One of the things you should be learning that there are consequences for your actions. The University made a commitment to him, and he made a commitment to the University. Now he wants to break that commitment. The school never went to him and said "hey, Josh, we think we'd be better off if you went somewhere else". This was all his doing, and he needs to accept responsibility for his actions. I think it's fully within the school's rights to try to salvage as much out of the situation as possible.

There is a consequence...he thinks the grass is greener and he is soon to find out that he is turning his back on his only real opportunity. He had an opportunity here to do something special that he won't have many other places (and certainly not USC). and c'mon, a rapper, that is punishment enough for him...the harsh reality that he was given an opportunity that few have and squandered it for some pipe-dream of becoming a famous rapper and eventually a rap music degree that will do **** all for him after graduation.

There is a consequence...he thinks the grass is greener and he is soon to find out that he is turning his back on his only real opportunity. He had an opportunity here to do something special that he won't have many other places (and certainly not USC). and c'mon, a rapper, that is punishment enough for him...the harsh reality that he was given an opportunity that few have and squandered it for some pipe-dream of becoming a famous rapper and eventually a rap music degree that will do **** all for him after graduation.

You don't know that a rap music degree will do nothing for him. It's not like the only thing you can do with that degree is perform. You can produce, too. I'm sure that USC, being at ground zero for that industry, is a good place to learn. Lots of contacts to be made there.

If that is truly what is behind all this, then he should have no problem whatsoever with what Bohn proposed. However, he has appealed it, which leads me to believe he wants to play football somewhere else - namely ASU.

This whole thing has Dennis Erickson's stench all over it, the more I think about it.

You don't know that a rap music degree will do nothing for him. It's not like the only thing you can do with that degree is perform. You can produce, too. I'm sure that USC, being at ground zero for that industry, is a good place to learn. Lots of contacts to be made there.

If that is truly what is behind all this, then he should have no problem whatsoever with what Bohn proposed. However, he has appealed it, which leads me to believe he wants to play football somewhere else - namely ASU.

This whole thing has Dennis Erickson's stench all over it, the more I think about it.

I see it differently. He realizes that he can't get a scholarship at USC, but could probably get one at ASU. I dunno what out of state tuition at ASU is, but I imagine it's not cheap and he would therefor prefer to go somewhere that he could study what he wants and remain on schollarship.

That greasy SOB

You mean this isn't about rapping? OMG. You could push me over with a feather.

Please tell me Ward Churchill, or someone of that ilk, isn't on the appeals board.

You mean this isn't about rapping? OMG. You could push me over with a feather.

Please tell me Ward Churchill, or someone of that ilk, isn't on the appeals board.

I dont know if that would be a good thing or not, we want the board to rule against JS and Churchill (or other profs) might just do that because of there distaste for athletics

I dont know if that would be a good thing or not, we want the board to rule against JS and Churchill (or other profs) might just do that because of there distaste for athletics

No, I want the board to rule in favor of JS because I think it is unreasonable that he is not allowed to transfer out of conference.

No, I want the board to rule in favor of JS because I think it is unreasonable that he is not allowed to transfer out of conference.

He can transfer to any school he wants. If he wants to go to ASU, or Kansas, or UCLA, or KSU, or wherever then fine...go get a music scholarship.

IMO (which counts for dick), is keep the restriction in place, make him address his full concern, and then let him transfer to any school outside of the Big 12 and not on the schedule through 2011. CU made a four year commitment to him and he failed to fulfil his end of the commitment, there should be penalties for that. In all reality, even if he were to stay, do we want a baby TO on our team or somebody who doesn't want to play. It is lose-lose for CU and we just need to cut our losses and minimize the competition risk.

Rapper and WR Josh is a Trojan!

That's Josh Jarobe, the OU recruit who was kicked off the Sooners. His new team is the Troy Trojans.

Interesting. I have heard of schools regularly limiting transfers to other conference schools and scheduled opponnents, but limiting it to one school? There has to be more going on here than we know now.
I think it is pretty clear that they are limiting the release to USC because USC is the one school he is interested in where he has very little chance of getting a scholarship offer. That is too much to be coincidence.

It is also extremely tasteless, IMO, to **** with a young man's future to prove a point. It is clear that CU is not working out for Josh, and I suspect, as I'm sure many of you do as well, the reason has nothing to do with his hip hop aspirations.

By limiting his release to USC only, Bohn is effectively attempting to kill his football career and, potentially, his ability to get a college degree. Basically, he could be ruining Josh's entire future. Is this what we want our AD doing? Look beyond the program, it's just a ****ty thing to do to another person, and I'm shocked that any of you support it.

Last edited:
I think it is pretty clear that they are limiting the release to USC because USC is the one school he is interested in where he has very little chance of getting a scholarship offer. That is too much to be coincidence.

It is also extremely tasteless, IMO, to **** with a young man's future to prove a point. It is clear that CU is not working out for Josh, and I suspect, as I'm sure many of you do as well, the reason has nothing to do with his hip hop aspirations.

By limiting his release to USC only, Bohn is effectively attempting to kill his football career and, potentially, his ability to get a college degree. Basically, he could be ruining Josh's entire future. Is this what we want our AD doing? Look beyond the program, it's just a ****ty thing to do to another person, and I'm shocked that any of you support it.

Stop it with the "ruining Josh's entire future" garbage. He's gone to a great university for 2 years for FREE because he can run fast an catch a ball...sometimes. Now he wants to go somewhere else, and he's free to go - all he has to do is pay his own way (or get loans) like the rest of us for 1 year before he can be put back on scholarship.

Poor guy, I wish I had it as tough as he does when I went to school.

There is no reason for the AD to personally slight a player like this, regardless of how you feel it will impact that player's life. I think it will be significant.

I, like many others, took loans to go to college. I also had parents helping me pay my living expenses. The fact is, we don't know these players' financial backgrounds, and going to college for a year not on scholarship may not be an option for them and their families. I certainly know that during my time at CU, federal loans were not nearly enough to cover tuition and living expenses. Not even close. What if the player's family is unable or unwilling to contribute to his education and living costs? If they don't want to take loans or can't qualify for them? I find it extremely difficult to imagine it would be possible for someone to hold a full time or near full time job, go to college as a full time student, and play football all at once.

The fact is, there is a decent chance that not being able to go to college on scholarship means he wouldn't be able to go to college at all. Is that an appropriate reaction to someone transfering away from your football program? Absolutely not.

Grant the kid a release with the caveat that he can't play in the big12 and call it a day.

Jump to conclusions with limited info much?

Stop it with the "ruining Josh's entire future" garbage. He's gone to a great university for 2 years for FREE because he can run fast an catch a ball...sometimes. Now he wants to go somewhere else, and he's free to go - all he has to do is pay his own way (or get loans) like the rest of us for 1 year before he can be put back on scholarship.

Poor guy, I wish I had it as tough as he does when I went to school.

For free ? You are kidding, right ?

Jump to conclusions with limited info much?

Ok guy, why do you think they would limit his release only to USC then? Are there any other plausible reasons?

To me, it's blatantly obvious why they would pick that one school to limit his release to. Just because you don't like the idea of it does not mean that it's pretty damn obvious to anyone else.

There are other schools in the area besides USC.

CalState Fullerton
CalState Long Beach
CalState Northridge
CalState Bernadino
CalPoly Pomona
UCLA
Cal Irving
Cal Riverside
Cal Tech
Harvey Mudd
Pepperdine

At least one of those must offer both football and the type musical education Josh is seeking. Bohn might have thrown a few more of those names in the mix, too. Maybe that's for the appeal board to conclude.

Ok guy, why do you think they would limit his release only to USC then? Are there any other plausible reasons?

To me, it's blatantly obvious why they would pick that one school to limit his release to. Just because you don't like the idea of it does not mean that it's pretty damn obvious to anyone else.

Relax with the hyperbole. There are more than a few folks who haven't jumped to the conclusions you have.

And when did I say I didn't like the idea of Josh leaving CU? You seem to think for other people an awful lot.

Like I said earlier, lots of innuendo and intrigue around this and I'm sure there's a story simmering in there somewhere that will eventually come out.

Back