What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jabari Walker Beast Mode Appreciation Thread

SotaBuff

Club Member
Club Member
More beast mode please.

Best player on the court when he wants. Has been really fun to watch over the last few games.

Short list Pac-12 player of the year candidate if he comes back (maybe even this year too).

PS - Please come back

Agreed. He has been much better the last few games. I don't know what lit a fire under his ass, but it seems he has been much more active and engaged. When he is balling hard he's a great player.

The exciting thing is that I think there is still much room for improvement. Selfishly, I hope he does it at CU rather than in the G league.

I am guessing the real guess will he be able to increase his draft stock by coming back? I don't know enough about who is in the draft this year, next year, etc, but I am guessing that is going to be the primary decider.

The other side of if he "likes school" is always a factor, another aspect I have little insight into.

Either way, I hope with a father who played a while in the NBA and others with the knowledge of how those things work will give him good advice.

But yes, as someone who doesnt care about the NBA at all, I would love to see him come back next year and dominate

His game is coming together here lately. I've never really worried about him being able to score the basketball. I've been looking for him to be aggressive like he has been. I'm most impressed by him becoming a glass eater, that's effort. He's been rebounding at a high level. The biggest thing with him is to find that consistency with his game, he's starting to do that.

He's leading the conference in rebounding & entering last night was 6th in scoring. Top ten in the nation in double-doubles.

He has to go pro as long as the NBA says he'll definitely be drafted. He's shown enough at the college level.

Finish strong, Jabari. Lead us to a big finish to this season, cement your legacy, and get paid.

He's leading the conference in rebounding & entering last night was 6th in scoring. Top ten in the nation in double-doubles.

He has to go pro as long as the NBA says he'll definitely be drafted. He's shown enough at the college level.

Finish strong, Jabari. Lead us to a big finish to this season, cement your legacy, and get paid.
I think he is still figuring out how good he can be. Most NBA players development stops when they get to the league and get big paychecks (although given his lineage, I doubt that would happen with him). Unless he is a top 15 projected selection, he should come back for one more season of growth and leverage that into a potential lottery selection the following year.

I think he is still figuring out how good he can be. Most NBA players development stops when they get to the league and get big paychecks (although given his lineage, I doubt that would happen with him). Unless he is a top 15 projected selection, he should come back for one more season of growth and leverage that into a potential lottery selection the following year.
I do not believe your statement about development stopping after reaching the NBA is correct. In fact, I believe it is the opposite. Which is why it's almost universal among NBA folks that they'd rather a young guy be on the end of an NBA bench or in the G League to develop versus playing in college.

Huh? I don't watch much NBA but from the stuff I've watched this is not true AT ALL.

yea most players don't get better after their rookie year.

I do not believe your statement about development stopping after reaching the NBA is correct. In fact, I believe it is the opposite. Which is why it's almost universal among NBA folks that they'd rather a young guy be on the end of an NBA bench or in the G League to develop versus playing in college.
There is an abundance of data regarding mid-first round draft choices and lower. Of course many of the lottery picks continue to develop and improve, I am not talking about the Ja Morant's of the world. My statement did not say ALL players are hot garbage after they are drafted. The G league, and international leagues are filled with players who could have used a year or two more in college to continue to develop. My point was that Jabari would most likely increase his draft stock and $ if he were to stay and improve an additional year at CU. I guess that is too controversial for a few on here

It 100% depends on where he lands.
I think it can vary greatly depending on the individual player. If he wants to get better and is willing to work on it then yes he is likely be make significant improvement after reaching the league.

Locally the Nuggets are a great example. Not even looking at MPJ because he was also coming off injury but the other young guys.

Bones is still a rookie but is a much better player now than he was early in the season, fully expect him to be a much better and more complete player next year.

Zeke Nnaji may not develop into an NBA starter but again is a much better player now than he was coming in. He understands things better and has developed more skills.

Cancar as well has gone from a guy who I wondered why was on the roster to a serviceable NBA bench player

Among the things we know about Tad is that he care for his players and is honest with them, even if that goes against his success as a coach.

I would fully expect Jabari will sit down with Tad after the season and they will take a very deep look at his decision. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the didn't include Jabari's dad directly in those conversations.

In the end I would hope that the decision Jabari makes is consistent with what Tad and his dad recommend for him. Tad knows what it takes to be successful in the NBA. He also will honestly evaluate where Jabari is and what the benefits and costs of spending an extra year in college would mean. In the past there have been some guys that Tad has told to go and it worked out. There have also been a couple guys who probably would have been better off to stay another year.

Selfishly I would love him to stay but if moving on is the right choice then that is what he needs to do.

There are by the way a lot of mid and lower first round picks who it turns out just aren't good enough to stick in the NBA. Staying an additional year rarely would have changed that.

There is an abundance of data regarding mid-first round draft choices and lower. Of course many of the lottery picks continue to develop and improve, I am not talking about the Ja Morant's of the world. My statement did not say ALL players are hot garbage after they are drafted. The G league, and international leagues are filled with players who could have used a year or two more in college to continue to develop. My point was that Jabari would most likely increase his draft stock and $ if he were to stay and improve an additional year at CU. I guess that is too controversial for a few on here
Did you ever consider that those guys simply aren't good enough to make an impact in the NBA and that another year in college would do nothing but cost them money they could have made?

The data is meaningless if all it's saying is that guys picked in the back half of the 1st round through UFA signings don't often become NBA starters. Spending another year in college won't change that, but it will cost them money.

Also, the older you are the more your draft stock gets downgraded. So staying a year is rarely going to change your draft position for the better if you were already seen as draftable.

Can we rename this thread "Jabari Walker is not ready for the NBA" just in case certain people are watching?
For awhile, I didn't think he was. He's getting it going now, enough where he should go if he's gonna get drafted. You can always come back to school for a degree, if it matters to whoever. His game has taken a step forward, hell, I'm happy to be wrong.

@Buffnik So the data isn't good. Got it. You seem adamant that your opinion is the Bible. So Jabari would be better off as the number 59 draft pick vs another year at CU. Got it!

@Buffnik So the data isn't good. Got it. You seem adamant that your opinion is the Bible. So Jabari would be better off as the number 59 draft pick vs another year at CU. Got it!
I'm saying that there's no data which says that a player who would be drafted staying an additional year is of benefit to him for draft position the next year.

I'm saying that there are a lot of easy examples to come up with which disproves your declarative statement that players don't improve in the NBA unless they are top draft picks.

I'm saying that NBA folks prefer younger players in the draft, so it seems counter-productive to give up a year of a very nice paycheck to go back to college and enter the draft when you're a year older.

I'm saying that there are exceptions to the above with guys who decide to come back because they don't like what they heard from the NBA folks and they do end up improving their draft positions. There are also cases the other way where they don't -- or get injured.

I'm saying that, given the above, the advice is that if you've shown enough in college to be sure you'll be drafted that you shouldn't leave money on the table.

Taking these generalities to the specifics of Jabari, it really depends on what NBA folks tell him. If they give him a late 2nd round/undrafted grade, he may decide it's in his best interest to come back for his junior year with the notes they gave him and to be on a mission to improve the things they aren't liking. Otherwise, the better career decision is definitely to turn pro and turning pro may very well still be the best decision even if he gets a surprisingly low grade.

I know it’s just one example, but after Richard Roby, I will always want CU players to leave if they can get drafted. Go get paid.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

There is no controversy. The longer a player stays in college, the lower his draft stock gets.

There is no controversy. The longer a player stays in college, the lower his draft stock gets.

Not true but okay.... Gonzaga freshman do not generally go to the draft after their freshman year. But their stock rises after their sophomore and junior years and they are drafted, that is one prime example. In fact, that is often the case, but folks see schools like Duke, Arizona, Kentucky where that does occur and believe that is the blueprint. The truth is, there are a variety of ways players get drafted, one of which is improving as they mature and their game and knowledge increase.

Last edited:
Except Gonzaga is now recruiting 1 and dones. Suggs last year, Holmgren this year.

No ill will towards Jabari if he makes the jump. Getting paid is important.

He's gonna develop either way. As a selfish Buff fan, I hope it's in Boulder.

Back