What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim McElwain - Head Coach CMU

He didn't recruit that well while at the premier University in FLORIDA!!! The state with the best high school football talent in the country.

Sparkles the shark ****er? Are you kidding me? Like we aren't already being laughed at enough.

He's a lot like Mora-I could wrap my head around him coming, and I think he'd probably win here. I think hard questions need to be asked of him re: the helmet incident and all the bull**** that led to his exit from Gainesville.

My first reaction to McElwain was “no ****ing way!!!”. A hard kitty cat "no" headshake.

About a half hour later I came back to thinking about it, trying to be objective. I realized my initial response was due to the fact he had been the former HC at CSU. That is a tough emotional pill to swallow.

I started looking into what he has accomplished. The fact is, McElwain coaches winning teams. He takes the talent he inherits and wins. That of course leads to the question(s) – can/will he recruit? I haven’t researched enough to know the answer to that question, so I’ll leave that alone for now.

I don’t doubt he can win at CU. In fact, I’d expect more from him in 2020 than I would from most other potential hires. While I called Mora a low ceiling option, I see McElwain as a high floor option. Mora looks to me to be a 7-5 or 8-4 in a good year whereas I see McElwain is a 7-5 or 8-4 in a base year with upside.

WTF happened in Florida? His Florida teams won the SEC East in the first two years of McElwain at the helm and then fired at 3-4 halfway through year three. Weird **** down there from shark pictures to lying about death threats to stories about bad booster relations. The fact is, the off field stuff at UF, I discount 98%. Why such a heavy discount factor? Well…Florida. I suggest that you read this Allbuffs thread to get the picture.

https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/the-all-in-one-florida-thread.103861/

I’m not advocating for CU to hire McElwain. I do not know enough about his recruiting drive/results. I am keeping an open mind about his being hired. I certainly will put him above my personal Mendoza line of acceptable hires, that being Jim Mora at this point. If he can/will recruit, I will not have a hard time getting on board with this hire.

My first reaction to McElwain was “no ****ing way!!!”. A hard kitty cat "no" headshake.

About a half hour later I came back to thinking about it, trying to be objective. I realized my initial response was due to the fact he had been the former HC at CSU. That is a tough emotional pill to swallow.

I started looking into what he has accomplished. The fact is, McElwain coaches winning teams. He takes the talent he inherits and wins. That of course leads to the question(s) – can/will he recruit? I haven’t researched enough to know the answer to that question, so I’ll leave that alone for now.

I don’t doubt he can win at CU. In fact, I’d expect more from him in 2020 than I would from most other potential hires. While I called Mora a low ceiling option, I see McElwain as a high floor option. Mora looks to me to be a 7-5 or 8-4 in a good year whereas I see McElwain is a 7-5 or 8-4 in a base year with upside.

WTF happened in Florida? His Florida teams won the SEC East in the first two years of McElwain at the helm and then fired at 3-4 halfway through year three. Weird **** down there from shark pictures to lying about death threats to stories about bad booster relations. The fact is, the off field stuff at UF, I discount 98%. Why such a heavy discount factor? Well…Florida. I suggest that you read this Allbuffs thread to get the picture.

I’m not advocating for CU to hire McElwain. I do not know enough about his recruiting drive/results. I am keeping an open mind about his being hired. I certainly will put him above my personal Mendoza line of acceptable hires, that being Jim Mora at this point. If he can/will recruit, I will not have a hard time getting on board with this hire.
I think you're spot on. The guy can coach, and he would probably keep a very similar "program" in place to what MT started last year due to them both having learned under Saban (S&C emphasis, practice methodology etc...). So there are some things that make a lot of sense about McElwain. For me, it's the thought of having to listen to his pressers etc for the next few years that has me on tilt.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike a Sparkles hire.

I really think EB is risky. But, I would gladly throw in behind EB before Sparkles. He would achieve some modicum of success and leave as soon as he got an offer he deemed more attractive. Given that he left Bobo with a bare cupboard, I think he is a band aid solution.

Last edited:
The thing here is that he interviewed once before at CU. The reason that didn't go well is that he had demands around admissions that were shot down.

Is CU prepared to go back to the McCartney days where they allowed the HC to do what he needed? Because when we were bringing in Prop 48 guys like Sal Aunese and also letting the program manage some questionable characters with gang affiliations, we were an elite program.

Does CU have the willingness to do what it takes? Because that's what guys like McElwain will need to be successful and happy in the job. Otherwise, we all need to start defining success differently -- as a small step up from what MacIntyre was achieving here (winning 6-8 games most seasons and never being a real contender for the CFP).

First of all, I can’t deal with another Mc or Mac-anything. There‘s one too many former coach Macs as it is.

Secondly, if CU hired Sparkles there better be a clause in his contract that automatically voids his buyout if he ever loses to CSU. I can‘t bear the thought of his first game as CU head coach being in Ft Collins. If we somehow managed to lose that game the backlash will be too much for me to handle.

First of all, I can’t deal with another Mc or Mac-anything. There‘s one too many former coach Macs as it is.

Secondly, if CU hired Sparkles there better be a clause in his contract that automatically voids his buyout if he ever loses to CSU. I can‘t bear the thought of his first game as CU head coach being in Ft Collins. If we somehow managed to lose that game the backlash will be too much for me to handle.
I don't care who CU hires losing to that ewe team should be a fireable offense.

Still have my reservations, but this is a good, level-headed post.

My primary reservation with McElwain is that he doesn’t know how to recruit guys who can get into Colorado. Fresno State, Bama, csu, CMU, and UF aren’t exactly powerhouses for football player academic rigor.

Good post. He's probably a guy we'd need to meet in the middle on recruiting-we'll allow him to get some questionables in here (I would think Melvin asked for the same thing) but we expect results.

The thing here is that he interviewed once before at CU. The reason that didn't go well is that he had demands around admissions that were shot down.

Is CU prepared to go back to the McCartney days where they allowed the HC to do what he needed? Because when we were bringing in Prop 48 guys like Sal Aunese and also letting the program manage some questionable characters with gang affiliations, we were an elite program.

Does CU have the willingness to do what it takes? Because that's what guys like McElwain will need to be successful and happy in the job. Otherwise, we all need to start defining success differently -- as a small step up from what MacIntyre was achieving here (winning 6-8 games most seasons and never being a real contender for the CFP).

If we would let those guys in, i think we still have Tucker. Liberal academics won’t allow underprivileged kids who don’t do well in HS into their hallowed institution.

If we would let those guys in, i think we still have Tucker. Liberal academics won’t allow underprivileged kids who don’t do well in HS into their hallowed institution.

Jim McElwain is a big improvement over Melvin. Two impressive G5 turnarounds, one being the seven win improvement at CMU this year. Three division titles. If he can explain the drama surrounding his Florida dismissal (and I'm sure he'll get asked about it by Rick and Lance), I'm good with hiring him. This guy can coach-and I don't give a damn about taking a coach after a year. Eat or get eaten.

tenor.gif

I just have a hard time getting over the "yeah she might be kinda hot, but do you really want your little brother's sloppy seconds?" factor.

There's zero logic in that reaction, but it'd be inaccurate to pretend it doesn't exist.

To continue the analogy, I'd also say that there's a certain level of hotness that makes it a lot easier to set aside those feelings, but we're just not there in this case.

Back