What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

So, what if it was Chev? Chev with a team of high quality assistants that could do their jobs without him.
That sounds good on paper, but in practice?

Where are you going to find these high quality assistants that want to tie their futures to Chev? More to the point: where is Chev going to find them? He hasn't exactly coached at a lot of high profile / winning programs in his career.

What if it was Chev? I mean let’s be honest, 90% of people here laughed at Herm Edwards (although he has been a head coach before) because he wasn’t a college head coach and didn’t understand recruiting. But ASU hired really good coordinators for him so all he had to do was be a general and a closer. Chev is a Buff, he’s been here through now 2 tenures and knows what culture he would want to build and what works and what doesn’t. He’s a top 25 recruiter with ties all over the country.

So, what if it was Chev? Chev with a team of high quality assistants that could do their jobs without him. First time coaches get hired all the time and let their assistants help them figure it all out, hello midnight Mel.

This isn’t me calling for Chev, I think he isn’t ready, he has 1 year as an coordinator. But under the perfect circumstances could it work? Could he lead and let his assistants do the work? Do we even have the money for assistants like that?

Im just tossing out differing opinions here. I’m obviously frightened by our lack of uninspiring options piled on top of my fear that our assistants are getting ready to be poached by Mr. integrity.
He may (and I emphasis the word 'may') be qualified for the jump from an x's and o's standpoint, but I worry about all of the other critical pieces required of the head coach. Motivating 18-21 year olds is a lot different than motivating alumni to pony up $$ for the program. He's not as polished during interviews and in front of the camera as I think a HC should be, and does stupid stuff like his recent round of self twitter advication (word?). I realize not every HC in the nation has this skill set, but it certainly helps grow a program at a more accelerated pace. Ignoring the junk we just went though, MT had that skill honed.

Looking at some of these proposed candidates:

tenor.gif

Where are you going to find these high quality assistants that want to tie their futures to Chev? More to the point: where is Chev going to find them? He hasn't exactly coached at a lot of high profile / winning programs in his career.
Have RG and LC do searches to help. Chev, RG, and LC decide what direction this will go and find the assistants to meet those goals. A little unorthodox but Chev will need to use all resources available to him.

If this latest fiasco has shown us anything, it’s that money talks. I know Venables makes a lot as a DC, but we ought to be able to double whatever he’s making.
Venables made $2.2 million, plus $195,000 in bonuses last year...meaning he made about as much as Tucker did....So, IF CU were to ever get him, they would, at minimum, have to come up quite significantly over what they were paying Tucker...Plus, as has been said, they would need to allocate quite a lot more funds for assistants....Even then, that probably would not be enough to grab him.

I know, I don’t have answers for those questions unfortunately. I’m just pushing forward the conversation here. It wouldn’t be a very inspired hire from an Allbuffs perspective. It would be a popular hire from a Colorado/recruit perspective. A less informed might like it because who he is.

Have RG and LC do searches to help. Chev, RG, and LC decide what direction this will go and find the assistants to meet those goals. A little unorthodox but Chev will need to use all resources available to him.

Very unorthodox. Maybe you find a guy that’s been a head coach and is now a coordinator. Someone who doesn’t want the title but would enjoy the process behind Chev.

CU is in an unenviable position right now. Nobody should be picking a ****ing coach in ****ing February. God i hate Mel Tucker. I want to go to MSU next year just to throw **** at him. ****ing douche bag. Weeks away from spring practices and spring games with no direction. A possible entirely new scheme for everything, were so ****ed.

I will say this about EB. While the stint under JE went poorly, EB did Not burn bridges when the staff was let go. That staff was set up to fail and a lot has changed in 8 years for all involved. The AD is different. Resources are different. EB is much different from a coaching perspective and as a leader.

I am not saying he would be my top choice but he certainly would be in my top 5. He was the best recruiter on Gary’s staff and you could see the drop off when he and JE left for UCLA. Recruiting for GB fell off tremendously.

Bottom line, if there is interest from EB, he is head and tails better than Chev and would be someone the kids would end up loving. I also think he would win a lot of games and the Buffs would continue to become even more hard nosed under him.

My $0.02 and probably not worth the two pennies

I will say this about EB. While the stint under JE went poorly, EB did Not burn bridges when the staff was let go. That staff was set up to fail and a lot has changed in 8 years for all involved. The AD is different. Resources are different. EB is much different from a coaching perspective and as a leader.

I am not saying he would be my top choice but he certainly would be in my top 5. He was the best recruiter on Gary’s staff and you could see the drop off when he and JE left for UCLA. Recruiting for GB fell off tremendously.

Bottom line, if there is interest from EB, he is head and tails better than Chev and would be someone the kids would end up loving. I also think he would win a lot of games and the Buffs would continue to become even more hard nosed under him.

Same as Chev, he scares me. He still doesn’t have a ton of experience and while everything is different. Another Buff? I can’t take the Embree years again, that **** broke me.

I know I'm gonna get roasted for this but...What if we called Mr Barnett?

My Dad suggested it and I told him that would never happen but we both would take him in a New York Second! Plus, in this situation, would we be able to get anyone better?

Ok, so tell me all the reasons this is stupid.

seems like an intriguing option.

Avalos and Jim Leonard are absolute wildcards, but I think both are destined for HC success.

I read where Wilcox was possibly interested last time. I could vote for Bert, Sark and Clawson as well.

It would be irresponsible to focus this search on EB and Chiv.

Avalos and Jim Leonard are absolute wildcards, but I think both are destined for HC success.

I read where Wilcox was possibly interested last time. I could vote for Bert, Sark and Clawson as well.

If we could get Wilcox that would be my choice and head and shoulders above the other options.

Doubt it happens in February, though.

The truest part of this post is that things at CU have changed. Rick George and Lance Carl can provide support that Bohn's AD never imagined. A lot of stuff that fell to Embree as HC 8 years ago is now handled by LC.

Can we please god take SARK and BUTCH off any list every published or spoken again!!!

He may (and I emphasis the word 'may') be qualified for the jump from an x's and o's standpoint, but I worry about all of the other critical pieces required of the head coach. Motivating 18-21 year olds is a lot different than motivating alumni to pony up $$ for the program. He's not as polished during interviews and in front of the camera as I think a HC should be, and does stupid stuff like his recent round of self twitter advication (word?). I realize not every HC in the nation has this skill set, but it certainly helps grow a program at a more accelerated pace. Ignoring the junk we just went though, MT had that skill honed.

Motivating 18-21 year olds?? That is his specialty.

I'm not as worried about the HC as I am about the rest of the assistants and coordinators. If RG and LC have a thorough search like last time, they will get what they want. However, we are a few weeks away from most programs spring practices and is going to be extremely difficult to poach assistants to come here. The one thing that will work in that case is money and we all know we are limited there.

I really want Grinch but have an extremely hard time seeing how he can assemble a staff this late. I almost feel this is EB's job with Chev as OC if EB wants the job. EB could mentor Chev some more and probably play call until he feels comfortable with Chev. I really hate saying this, but I am having a hard time finding how anyone will fill out this staff. You would need a top level DC in this scenario so probably throws out my thinking here. One thing of note, EB would rally the boosters and hopefully help with the assistant coach salaries.

Chev is a non-starter for HC and would mean we are in extremely dire straights.

Last edited:
I just want someone who would be on other school’s coaching lists and not just on ours because they are Buffs.

Well, at least EB would be on most lists as a head coach candidate. That would not be unique to CU as he is already interviewing for NFL headman positions. He may not be interested in others at the college level but he certainly would be a guy on many lists

Can we please god take SARK and BUTCH off any list every published or spoken again!!!
Butch no thanks but why such a negative reaction on Sark? Just curious.

He’s young, has a ton of experience (much of it on the west coast and in our conference), and he was actually pretty successful as a HC until his very public struggle with alcohol got the best of him. That was 5 years ago, and from all accounts he’s been on the straight and narrow since then and been a very successful coach again. He’s the kind of guy who I’d love to give another HC opportunity to.

Butch no thanks but why such a negative reaction on Sark? Just curious.

He’s young, has a ton of experience (much of it on the west coast and in our conference), and he was actually pretty successful as a HC until his very public struggle with alcohol got the best of him. That was 5 years ago, and from all accounts he’s been on the straight and narrow since then and been a very successful coach again. He’s the kind of guy who I’d love to give another HC opportunity to.
I would not be that down on a Sark hire.

I am just not seeing EB or Chev.

I'm doubtful, but I'm also biased. Why would Venables leave at this point?

- Both of his sons are on the roster, one being a redshirt sophomore and the other an incoming true freshman.
- Clemson just pulled one of the all-time great defensive recruiting classes this past year (3 5-stars, 7 4-stars on defense alone), of which he had a massive hand in recruiting.
- He's got free reign to do what he wants with the defense...he can do just about anything and the coaching staff & fanbase will be behind him.

Perhaps most important:
- Despite Dabo being the one in the spotlight, Venables had just as much of a hand in Clemson's ascent than anyone else. I think he's proud of what he's built and isn't eager to leave it. Coaches spend entire careers trying to get into the position he's in, and 99% of them will never get there...why move away from it?
All of this is great and reason for him to really love what he's doing, but coaches leave these situations all the time because they have a desire to be a Head Coach and build their own program. None of this matters AT ALL if he has that desire. If he doesn't have the desire to do that, then yeah, he should stay where he is.

If this latest fiasco has shown us anything, it’s that money talks. I know Venables makes a lot as a DC, but we ought to be able to double whatever he’s making.
He's making $2m/year with retention bonuses of $200k his first two years of the extension (started in 2018) and $400k over the last 3 years. So he is essentially making over $2.1m/year to be DC at Clemson. CU isn't likely not doubling that, but as I said above (and onealcd), none of those perks matter if he has the desire to be a Head Coach.

Back