What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Chev would be an unmitigated disaster. But keep advocating for it.

Maybe we can get McChesney as our DC!!!!
I don't agree with this. And not saying this is how it will play out. But let's see what happens. If he's the coach, I will get behind him.

I don't agree with this. And not saying this is how it will play out. But let's see what happens. If he's the coach, I will get behind him.

I have serious reservations about him being an HC right now, but he deserves more respect than “Chev would be an unmitigated disaster.”

It is a real mystery why the guys that have done the most for CU football are the guys that get the worst of the vile behavior spewed at them by Buff fans.

It's also my dream job and I've spent a lot of time for a lot of years showing loyalty and passion for the Buffs. Will you support my bid to at least be a coordinator?

How many times have you been voted a top 25 recruiter?

Chev has the requisite experience to be a head coach (he has several more years than other candidates) people are just unhappy about his stint as OC under Mike McIntyre. And that’s fair but it’s a lack of success in that position, not experience as you’re implying.

And there are extenuating circumstances being co-offensive coordinator, the self-imposed limitations on recruiting under that regime, etc.

I have serious reservations about him being an HC right now, but he deserves more respect than “Chev would be an unmitigated disaster.”

It is a real mystery why the guys that have done the most for CU football are the guys that get the worst of the vile behavior spewed at them by Buff fans.

And not everyone who has “done the most” for CU would make a good head coach. It is hard to think of many that have done as much good for CU than Embo, including Buffs4Life and a whole lot more. How’d that work out?

I’m good with a guy that has CU ties, but not if we are the only P5 team in the country that would consider him for a HC position. I don’t think anyone else out there right now would consider Chev for an OC position. And we’re ready to crown him HC? Seems like a logical plan.

Chev has the requisite experience to be a head coach (he has several more years than other candidates) people are just unhappy about his stint as OC under Mike McIntyre. And that’s fair but it’s a lack of success in that position, not experience as you’re implying.

And there are extenuating circumstances being co-offensive coordinator, the self-imposed limitations on recruiting under that regime, etc.
He would not get a sniff at any other P5 school with his resume and skills. None. Zero. Nada. Zip.

Very good recruiter, mediocre WR coach and horrible coordinator.

As far as experience, I think it's 7 total years coaching D1 football. That is not several more years than any other candidate. And how many of those 7 seasons produced a winning record?

And not everyone who has “done the most” for CU would make a good head coach. It is hard to think of many that have done as much good for CU than Embo, including Buffs4Life and a whole lot more. How’d that work out?

I’m good with a guy that has CU ties, but not if we are the only P5 team in the country that would consider him for a HC position. I don’t think anyone else out there right now would consider Chev for an OC position. And we’re ready to crown him HC? Seems like a logical plan.

USC didn’t want Ed Ogeron even after he won games for them as the interim coach. And despite his previous head coaching experience and success as interim coach at USC, he didn’t get a P5 head coach job. He went to LSU as a D line coach.

After he went from interim head coach to head coach at LSU I remember an ESPN “expert” calling it the worst hire that year.

Just because a hire isn’t sexy and doesn’t impress ESPN people doesn’t mean it won’t eventually work out.

giphy.gif

What does the article say?

As far as experience, I think it's 7 total years coaching D1 football. That is not several more years than any other candidate. And how many of those 7 seasons produced a winning record?
Yeah I don't think it's acknowledged enough that Chev has never been part of a winning program so it's questionable that he knows what it takes to build a successful program. He's been under Neuheisel, Kingsbury, MacIntyre, and Tucker, that's 3 coaches who were fired and a guy who went 5-7 and bailed. As much respect as I have for Riverside City College's program, that's a terrible group of mentors (of which maybe one he would actually call a mentor), get him someone that can build a successful program here so he can understand what it takes.

I'm at a loss that people are having trouble differentiating Chev from Graham Harrell.

Like. What.

Recruiting is tantamount as a CFB coach. Period. Full stop.

Loyalty to CU is becoming more urgent the further we descend into this decades-long abyss.

Legitimizing Sark would only hasten his return to U$C and we'd be deja vu all over again.

If EB doesn't want the job then give it to Shiv if we can keep most of the current staff.

If MSUcker poaches the best off our current staff then pray for a hail mary like Grinch.

Mediocre WR coach, how do you define that? A CU WR that he coached is about to be drafted in the first round. I don’t think that’s fair.

He didn’t have a lot of success as an offensive coordinator.

It’s not several (I thought he started coaching a couple years earlier than he actually did) but he has a couple more years experience than Walters, for instance.

He was voted a top 25 recruiter two years in a row and has connections in both Texas and California. If the CU administration were as disrespectful and flippant about his coaching career as some of the posters here there are a ton of P5 schools that would swoop him up in a heartbeat.

The most important thing in college football is recruiting. He’s very good at it, that’s why he shouldn’t be immediately dismissed. That’s all I’m saying.

Mediocre WR coach, how do you define that? A CU WR that he coached is about to be drafted in the first round. I don’t think that’s fair.

It’s not several (I thought he started coaching a couple years earlier than he actually did) but he has a couple more years experience than Walters, for instance.

He was voted a top 25 recruiter two years in a row and has connections in both Texas and California. If the CU administration were as disrespectful and flippant about his coaching career as some of the posters here there are a ton of P5 schools that would swoop him up in a heartbeat.

The most important thing in college football is recruiting. He’s very good at it, that’s why he shouldn’t be immediately dismissed. That’s all I’m saying.
I would define mediocre as fine, but nothing special. It's a recruiter position, so it's more than ok to have mediocre position coaching there.

What I see is that he has recruited some excellent talent and gotten good production. But we've had years like 2018 when his guys didn't block. We've had years like 2017 when his guys didn't produce and were the locker room cancer for the team. His WRs always struggle at gaining separation. Biggest criticism of Viska from draft analysts is that his technique is very raw. Speaking of Viska, we've also had several situations where talent sat on the bench while older guys who weren't performing kept their jobs and reps.

I thought I was being generous by saying "mediocre", to tell the truth. I also thought I maybe should have said "great" instead of "very good" on recruiting, which is what I thought people might criticize about my post.

What P5 school would scoop him up in a heartbeat as a HC?

Since when is voicing honest opinions of a Buff’s readiness to run this program considered vile behavior? You‘re making this very personal when it isn’t at all.

McChesney is advocating to Chev and saying if he doesn’t get it he should be pissed off and leave. It’s scary how many people are so behind him as the HC. And just handing him the job at that.
I like Chev. Really like him and hope he's part of the program forever. But I have to say, the prior Embree fiasco makes me much more nervous about hiring Chev as head coach than it does hiring EB.

The things I would worry with Chev are, first, I worry that he has the chops to attract a great assistant coaching staff and, second, as HC, he wouldn’t be able to do nearly as much on the road recruiting. With him as HC we’d lose him as a recruiting coordinator and would have to replace that position.

Chev is good for this school and this team. In a time where some of us still can’t fathom the lack of loyalty, he should be commended for his. He’s been here through a lot of bull**** and he’s stuck it out, I thank him for that. He’s passionate and is a good recruiter and judging by Keith Miller’s comments, he isn’t separating anyone or creating a divide. He’s keeping them together and he’s doing his best to keep Colorado football moving forward in a really depressing time.

I still don’t think he should be the head coach, but someday once he proves ready, I’d be ecstatic about that. We’re truly lucky to have him right now because this situation could have really blown up in a bad way. Thankfully, the character and integrity once preached about is being put to good use by the very kids the ex-coach shunned. They deserve massive kudos for how they’re handling all of this.

"The No. 1 reason I picked Colorado is because I wanted to get coached by Coach 'Chev' (Darrin Chiaverini), a lot," he said. "He is known for putting good players in the league, and I didn't want to go through the whole recruiting process again. I wanted to stay with Colorado.
When I saw Coach Chev was named the interim head coach it was a big relief. He has a strong bond with everyone already at Colorado. I talked to him and he told me to stay calm and poised, and he told me to talk to the other commits to make sure they stay calm. He said he bleeds black and gold, ever since he went there, and he doesn't plan on leaving there."

Even when Miller was verbally committed to Kansas, he had a special relationship with Chiaverini.

"We always had that bond," he said. "I talked to Laviska Shenault and K.D. Nixon and they just told me how good of a coach he is, and you can see it now. Laviska and Tony are going into the draft, and K.D. will be next year. He is known for putting guys into the league."

If we can’t get Grinch, I’m warming to the idea of EB as HC, Walters as DC, Kap as run game coordinator, and Chev as passing game and recruiting coordinator. Keep Wilson and no more former Buffs on staff. I know that’s no small task, but could explain why EB needs to take his sweet-ass time.

If we can’t get Grinch, I’m warming to the idea of EB as HC, Walters as DC, Kap as run game coordinator, and Chev as passing game and recruiting coordinator. Keep Wilson and no more former Buffs on staff. I know that’s no small task, but could explain why EB needs to take his sweet-ass time.
No Hagan?

Too many cooks in the kitchen on offense IMO.

An experienced OC would really help EB in that situation.

Back