What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Prime effect

So, a really good article in the WaPo from last weekend. It covers a lot of ground, including bringing readers who aren't really tuned into the changes that have been happening in college football up to date.

Basically, the article is equal parts about Coach Prime and about the changes reverberating through college football. There's lots of good stuff in it about CU already planning for what happens when Prime leaves, and it also brings to the forefront one of the reasons Prime and CU are getting a lot of hate right now: they/we are being honest about what is happening in college football and not acting like it's still the 1960s.

If you need by the paywall:

This bit near the end stood out to me:
For now, Colorado officials seem satisfied that a coach and his employer, in a business whose many traditions include dishonesty, are speaking truthfully — like it or not — about their motivations and plans.

The Office Yes GIF

I don't understand how anyone can keep saying that Prime's roster renovation is either going to "revolutionize the game" or "cause a public spectacle of falling short". I mean, they certainly won't be worse so by that logic it's already a success, but is there no middle ground?
There is no middle ground. Coach Prime brashly announced he is changing the game and plans to win right now. You can't do that and win 6-8 games a year for a few years. Absolutely a "go big or go home" situation with how results will be judged by most.

There is no middle ground. Coach Prime brashly announced he is changing the game and plans to win right now. You can't do that and win 6-8 games a year for a few years. Absolutely a "go big or go home" situation with how results will be judged by most.
But the national consensus is 2-3 wins this year, so 6-8 wins should be considered a huge boom. Maybe 6-8 wins in year 2 and 3 might be considered a failure relative to Prime’s talk and expectations but that would get CU back to national respectability, which is kind of that middle ground, IMO.

But the national consensus is 2-3 wins this year, so 6-8 wins should be considered a huge boom. Maybe 6-8 wins in year 2 and 3 might be considered a failure relative to Prime’s talk and expectations but that would get CU back to national respectability, which is kind of that middle ground, IMO.
Turning CU FB into what we'd call a NIT level program in hoops is not what people will consider a success. That's basically the end of the GB era.

Turning CU FB into what we'd call a NIT level program in hoops is not what people will consider a success. That's basically the end of the GB era.
Again, varying levels of success. What we are seeing is very successful or spectacular failure. You're seriously saying there is no middle ground? Come on, nik

Again, varying levels of success. What we are seeing is very successful or spectacular failure. You're seriously saying there is no middle ground? Come on, nik
That's what I'm saying.

What do you think Coach Prime would say if you asked him if mediocrity is a result he'd consider a success?

That's what I'm saying.

What do you think Coach Prime would say if you asked him if mediocrity is a result he'd consider a success?
I'm not talking about what Coach Prime would say. I'm specifically talking about the current media narrative (from many) that it's either going to be Championships or 2 wins for this program. I'm talking about the likely results on the season.

I'm not talking about what Coach Prime would say. I'm specifically talking about the current media narrative (from many) that it's either going to be Championships or 2 wins for this program. I'm talking about the likely results on the season.
It is the definition of polarizing. People are either rooting for him to dominate or for him to crash & burn. That will not turn into, "Well, Coach Prime had some modest success and delivered a nice, little irrelevant program so I give him a solid B- and commend the effort."

It is the definition of polarizing. People are either rooting for him to dominate or for him to crash & burn. That will not turn into, "Well, Coach Prime had some modest success and delivered a nice, little irrelevant program so I give him a solid B- and commend the effort."
I think Yak is talking about winning 5 to 8 games this season and you’re talking about how the program is evaluated over 3 or 4 seasons.

I think Yak is talking about winning 5 to 8 games this season and you’re talking about how the program is evaluated over 3 or 4 seasons.
This year, if he doesn't at least make a bowl (or loses that bowl game) the haters in the media, CFB fanverse and coaching profession will be relentless.

If he achieves a winning season and finishes it off with a bowl win with all the recruiting momentum that will bring, the fanboys from those same groups will be relentless.

There is no boring middle ground with Coach Prime where he's respected but largely irrelevant. No way this plays out like if Bronco Mendenhall was our coach and went 6-7 after a bowl loss. People would say, "He's done a nice job establishing things and heading in the right direction at Colorado." That would not be the Coach Prime narrative.

Coach Flea at Lazy Dog right now. Prime Effect!
"It looks like Buffnik's risking it all in Final Jeopardy."

"Hmmm... If I can decipher this scribble..."

"What is a post that perfectly defines Something that only a CU Buffs fan in 2023 wouldn't find incomprehensible?"

-------------
****overheard during closing music***
"He brought the fvcking Louis, didn't he Buffnik? Is there room on the bandwagon? I'm sick of being a Bruin and all the apathy. I'm a woman of passion. I want to dance with Deion at the donor party, be a guest Ralphie Handler, and see my team dominate!"

"Welcome to the dark side, Mayim. Sko."

"Sko."

This year, if he doesn't at least make a bowl (or loses that bowl game) the haters in the media, CFB fanverse and coaching profession will be relentless.

If he achieves a winning season and finishes it off with a bowl win with all the recruiting momentum that will bring, the fanboys from those same groups will be relentless.

There is no boring middle ground with Coach Prime where he's respected but largely irrelevant. No way this plays out like if Bronco Mendenhall was our coach and went 6-7 after a bowl loss. People would say, "He's done a nice job establishing things and heading in the right direction at Colorado." That would not be the Coach Prime narrative.
And this is exactly how we want it.

I want millions of losers hate watching our games.

Sorry, I just disagree. There’s a vocal minority on social media who will be saying negative things if he goes 6-7, but he will likely win COY if that happens and the media hysteria is going into 2024 will be off the charts.

Sorry, I just disagree. There’s a vocal minority on social media who will be saying negative things if he goes 6-7, but he will likely win COY if that happens and the media hysteria is going into 2024 will be off the charts.
Would result in competing narratives similar to what happened with Lincoln Riley after last year. Polarizing figure over the Oklahoma to USC jump and the poaching / tampering allegations which followed. Then the heat after he lost to Tulane in the bowl (as an aside, easily one of @Not Sure 's top ten sports moments) which brought out the haters. Deion Sanders is an order of magnitude more relevant to media numbers when they talk about him than Lincoln Riley. He's also an order of magnitude more likely to stir strong emotions over issues of race, religion and also topics like tradionalism, money/ fame in sports, etc (which would have race as a subtext).

I have accessed a pool of funds available to me in case somebody who talks sh!t on Twitter decides he wants to actually a bet a 0, 1, or 2 win season. So far, only a poker player has been willing to escrow action on 1.5 and 2.5. After seeing some of the practice vids, he’s already nervous (i.e. asking for a buyout) for our 1.5 bet.

Back