What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

LaViska Declares for NFL Draft.

I know this will sound stupid, but I hope he’s still attending classes, or taking them on line.
I highly doubt he is.

Normal for guys in his position is to spend this time getting ready for the draft. He will be working with various coaches trying to shave time off his 40, add a rep or two in his lifting, a couple inches in to his jumping.

Also likely working on his interview skills, etc.

For a guy going in the first round the combine and the pro days can mean a lot of money. Move up in the draft 3-5 spots and all that work pays for itself easily, show poorly and drop and it cost a lot as well.

I've always thought that the players association should demand a clause in the contracts of drafted underclassmen that pays for a certain amount of additional classes and provides a bonus for guys who go back to school and graduate within a certain time period after the end of their NFL playing years.

Now is not the time for him to worry about his studies. I do hope he eventually gets his degree, though.

Doesn’t he need to be on track to graduate for CU’s APR or whatever the hell that is?

Doesn’t he need to be on track to graduate for CU’s APR or whatever the hell that is?

I think a top ten NFL Draft pick is bigger for the football program than a marginally higher APR.

Well **** you guys! I bet his mom wants him to get a degree!!
Well **** you, I bet his mom wants him to put all energy and effort towards a multimillion dollar job that has a closing window and deal with a degree, which can be achieved at any age (as evidenced by your own personal life story), ****ing later.

Obviously, butIt's possible school is actually useful.

The NFL draft is in April. Do you believe he would be better served to prepare full time for the draft or take classes while preparing? He has access to world class training, but not in Boulder. The 32nd pick in the 1st round signed a $10.4M guaranteed contract, the 16th pick signed for $13.6. Do you believe taking 12 credit hours of classes this spring would help him raise his draft stock more then preparing solely for the draft?

The NFL draft is in April. Do you believe he would be better served to prepare full time for the draft or take classes while preparing? He has access to world class training, but not in Boulder. The 32nd pick in the 1st round signed a $10.4M guaranteed contract, the 16th pick signed for $13.6. Do you believe taking 12 credit hours of classes this spring would help him raise his draft stock more then preparing solely for the draft?
Well, if he takes an accounting class, that could be a benefit.

Obviously, but there is life outside football and he and KD have talked about doing media or whatever. It's possible school is actually useful.
His football career will be far more valuable to any media career than a degree will be. Stop the narrative that somehow taking a few more classes will somehow enlighten him from an intellectual standpoint to succeed later one.

I highly doubt he is.

Normal for guys in his position is to spend this time getting ready for the draft. He will be working with various coaches trying to shave time off his 40, add a rep or two in his lifting, a couple inches in to his jumping.

Also likely working on his interview skills, etc.

For a guy going in the first round the combine and the pro days can mean a lot of money. Move up in the draft 3-5 spots and all that work pays for itself easily, show poorly and drop and it cost a lot as well.

I've always thought that the players association should demand a clause in the contracts of drafted underclassmen that pays for a certain amount of additional classes and provides a bonus for guys who go back to school and graduate within a certain time period after the end of their NFL playing years.

I may be misinterpreting your post but don’t the colleges honor the scholarship if you leave early? I thought i saw somewhere guys went back and it was part of that, maybe I’m wrong.

I do like the incentive idea though, they should be doing everything they can to persuade all NFL players to finish their degree and set themselves up for life out of the NFL. Too man sad stories of guys losing it all with no back up plan.

His football career will be far more valuable to any media career than a degree will be. Stop the narrative that somehow taking a few more classes will somehow enlighten him from an intellectual standpoint to succeed later one.
Nah, I'll step it up and suggest maybe it's even a goal he wants to complete. Funny that ya'll aren't in his head but know exactly what he's thinking. To be clear, I've only been making suggestions but now getting a good laugh out of all your serious reactions.

Yeah! He should sign up for a couple of credits; maybe join an intramural team or two, volunteer to walk dogs at the ASPCA...you know, just to stay in shape for April. Good ideas here, let hear some more!

I feel like this would have been a much less controversial and frankly better statement..

"I know this will sound stupid, but I hope he plans on completing his degree or taking online classes after his NFL career is over."

Back