What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

LAVISKA SHENAULT IS A BAD BAD BAD MAN

Want to see a defensive back crap his pants? Show him this:

68676389_3027045673988672_6611049090635530240_o.jpg

He is so damn big for a WR...

yeah, all the sunshine aside, the thing that really makes him dangerous is how effing strong he is. if you watch his highlights, dbs have to get him low and solid or he shakes them off. and lbs can't keep up with him. he's going to see a whole lot of "the defense has to account for viska every play" defenses this year. i expect kd and tony brown to have big years. and, i can't wait to see what the tight ends will be able to do when the defense is cheating to make they have viska contained.

good times. good times.

yeah, all the sunshine aside, the thing that really makes him dangerous is how effing strong he is. if you watch his highlights, dbs have to get him low and solid or he shakes them off. and lbs can't keep up with him. he's going to see a whole lot of "the defense has to account for viska every play" defenses this year. i expect kd and tony brown to have big years. and, i can't wait to see what the tight ends will be able to do when the defense is cheating to make they have viska contained.

good times. good times.

Yep, and the normal response to an A list receiver is to bracket him with a CB and a safety, but that's not too helpful if you can't trust either to tackle the WR.

Couldn't agree with you more-we need to keep him healthy for 12 games, and if that means he doesn't touch the ball every single ****ing play like he did last year-I'm good with it.
This is a huge point.

He can do an amazing array of things but it doesn't mean we should do those things with him all the time.

I winced last year every time they ran him into the zones with the LBs and the safeties taking free shots at his ribs.

I hope that this year they use him more on plays that are a little deeper or that leave him in space against a CB.

Doesn't mean not to use him on the crossing stuff and the bubble screens, the sweeps, etc. but use those types of plays wisely to reduce the number of opportunities opponents have to take open shots on him.

The problem with the injury concerns with Viska is that the main issue that kept him out last year was turf toe. It’s an overuse injury, but not really related to how many times he got the ball. I’m just hoping that he’s back to 100% and it was a freak thing that won’t be a chronic issue.

The problem with the injury concerns with Viska is that the main issue that kept him out last year was turf toe. It’s an overuse injury, but not really related to how many times he got the ball. I’m just hoping that he’s back to 100% and it was a freak thing that won’t be a chronic issue.
His usage will go down a bit, but my hope is they still move him all over the field and put him in favorable match-ups. I think Chev just wanted to get him the ball in any way possible last year and that meant using him as the short yardage back (because they had no other option?) and throwing him the ball a ton behind the line of scrimmage. If they can limit those two areas and get him the ball down the field more, it will not only keep him healthier, but really use him more efficiently.

His usage will go down a bit, but my hope is they still move him all over the field and put him in favorable match-ups. I think Chev just wanted to get him the ball in any way possible last year and that meant using him as the short yardage back (because they had no other option?) and throwing him the ball a ton behind the line of scrimmage. If they can limit those two areas and get him the ball down the field more, it will not only keep him healthier, but really use him more efficiently.
But my point was that his injury issues last year weren’t really about the contact he took. To avoid the overuse injuries he will need to see fewer reps in general

Does Viska get to throw a pass this year? Are we even using the Ralphie / wildcat / whateverthecutenameisthisweek formation?

If there is a 4th and inches and the Nebraska game is on the line, I am an advocate of Viska getting a direct snap. Otherwise, the wildcat can pound sand
I think it should be used occasionally, but should be disguised before they quickly shift to wildcat and snap the ball. Everything worked against CSU, but more athletic teams were tackling Viska on first contact. Knowing he's getting the ball and stacking the line doesn't help.

I think it should be used occasionally, but should be disguised before they quickly shift to wildcat and snap the ball. Everything worked against CSU, but more athletic teams were tackling Viska on first contact. Knowing he's getting the ball and stacking the line doesn't help.
It wasn't just against CSU. I can't think of one time against any team last year that he was brought down on first contact and didn't get the necessary yardage when taking the direct snap.

It wasn't just against CSU. I can't think of one time against any team last year that he was brought down on first contact and didn't get the necessary yardage when taking the direct snap.
Nebraska stopped him on a 4th and 1, but the refs gave him the spot. Then after his long TD run against USC I believe they stuffed him a time or two.

Nebraska stopped him on a 4th and 1, but the refs gave him the spot. Then after his long TD run against USC I believe they stuffed him a time or two.
Yeah, and that was even in his highlights you posted. Must have been a lot of other times he was tackled by competent defenders.

Jeudy is really good.

They're not the same type of player. Jeudy is a stereotypical WR. He uses his speed to create separation from DBs-Viska uses his body......look at the number of times BSN in the link shows him getting physical with DBs. Viska has him by an inch and 30 pounds, which allows him to do more-like line up in the slot, TE, H-Back, Wildcat QB (yeah I'd let him throw it out of the Wildcat-he can probably do it), decoy, whatever. Viska is a more of an all around offensive weapon whose effectiveness in my opinion depends on how his OC wants to use him. We've gotta keep him healthy all year.

Last edited:
Jeudy may have a better QB though. Wouldn't be surprised to see him put up better numbers than Viska this season.

Jeudy does have a better QB, and I expect him to put up better numbers than Viska actually-I don't think he'll touch the ball as often as he did last year for two reasons. He'll see more double teams this season, and I think Jay Johnson knows he's gotta keep Viska healthy.

Back