What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - #16 (AP)/ #16 (NET rankings) Men's bball on the road vs. #17 (AP)/ #25 (NET) Oregon (Eugene, Thurs., 2/13, 7:00 PM MT, ESPN)

Oregon State took Utah behind the woodshed.

It goes without saying that this is a must win as far as the conference title goes. We can't risk falling a game behind the Chards at this point in the season.

Our two best players had less than stellar outings. It happens. Just had to get that game out of our system.

Games like this are where the Buffs not having a dominant scorer who can get buckets against great defense really shows up. Oregon hasn't usually played great D this year, but when they turn it on they can take it to a very high level.

So when we went on a 20-0 run against the exact same defense, that wasn’t the coaching? This game falls entirely on the players.
Yes it is coaching when you sub out the guys that are in a flow and the 20-0 could have become 35-5 run. He subbed the whole team and then Daniels and Parquet put a halt to momentum. A 14 point lead with unbelievable momentum turns into 9 with modest to little momentum. If that lead is 20 at halftime, game over.

I will say some of the lineups tonight were perplexing. When I got home in the first we had Daniels, Parquet, Kountz, Siewart, and Walton on the floor. (Just before the 20-0 run.) What in the actual **** are we thinking with that lineup?

This isn’t the NBA. It’s a short season with short games. And we have ZERO depth. Unless they’re in foul trouble or it’s a blowout, Kin, Bey, and Battey should all play 36+ minutes a game.

Yes it is coaching when you sub out the guys that are in a flow and the 20-0 could have become 35-5 run. He subbed the whole team and then Daniels and Parquet put a halt to momentum. A 14 point lead with unbelievable momentum turns into 9 with modest to little momentum. If that lead is 20 at halftime, game over.
You were saying the whole thread that we should only play 6 guys. That is absolutely not a sustainable way to be successful. You have to use your bench. So, I completely disagree.
With that, @azbuff is right that the Kountz, Daniels, Parquet, Siewart, Walton lineup should never see the light of day in a competitive game.

Once again, the lack of an actual Pac-12 level #2 guard bites us in the ass. Parquet and Daniels were just plain awful ... again. When you have NOBODY that can penetrate and break down their trapping and double teaming defense, this is what happens. If our 3s stop falling, which they did, we’re toast. Gatling 30% from 3. How is it that EVERY other school can find a guy who knows how to drive and create, except us?

Must win vs a surging OSU now ... hopefully we remember we owe those ****ers and play like we did vs USC.

Bad way to lose a game, but we showed when we play aggressive, we can dominate any team not name Arizona.

My biggest issues

1. Burning clock - the last 8ish minutes of the game, all we wanted to do on O was take 30 seconds off. Once we got down, we couldn't turn it back on.

2. Inbounds plays on offensive end- Oregon, and for that matter everyone else, KNOWS that we're going to wait 3 seconds, then throw the ball up to one of the bigs on the outside. Every. Time. Lost at least 2 possessions to that bs. Use that to your advantage, fake the lob, then bounce pass to the guy left uncovered by the guy cheating over, free dunk.

3. Bey. Either he was sick, or just decided to take tonight off. Not really sure, but sure as hell wasn't interested in playing ball tonight.

They beat us to Ishtar on their home floor. Going to happen at times when you are playing a very good team and UofO is a very talented team. Besides what many have said, it is hard to win on the road in conference. Period. End of discussion. You will escape with some and lose some. They are 19-6 and have won a sit ton more than they have lost and really need to find a way to win in Corvallis. That will make this a successful trip

They beat us to Ishtar on their home floor. Going to happen at times when you are playing a very good team and UofO is a very talented team. Besides what many have said, it is hard to win on the road in conference. Period. End of discussion. You will escape with some and lose some. They are 19-6 and have won a sit ton more than they have lost and really need to find a way to win in Corvallis. That will make this a successful trip
Whoregon is a very good, extremely talented team. But we had a 14 pt lead in the 2nd half, and should have put them away.

What could have been, should have been, but wasn't.

Go beat OSU and get the split, stay in the title hunt. CAN NOT LOSE THAT GAME.

So when we went on a 20-0 run against the exact same defense, that wasn’t the coaching? This game falls entirely on the players.

Disagree. Tad should have made adjustments after his players were running the offense 35 feet from the basket. There were a few possessions in the final 10 minutes the Buffs didn't get the ball inside the perimeter. A coach has got to fix that.

Disagree. Tad should have made adjustments after his players were running the offense 35 feet from the basket. There were a few possessions in the final 10 minutes the Buffs didn't get the ball inside the perimeter. A coach has got to fix that.
I don't think we touched the paint in the last 8 minutes

You were saying the whole thread that we should only play 6 guys. That is absolutely not a sustainable way to be successful. You have to use your bench. So, I completely disagree.
With that, @azbuff is right that the Kountz, Daniels, Parquet, Siewart, Walton lineup should never see the light of day in a competitive game.
Yes you use bench in very strategic ways. What Tad did was use a lead to get a rest instead of stepping on their throats until the run was truly over. Oh we are up by 14, I can sub and rest my guys cause I can absorb a few points and +9 is plenty. Halftime was coming, they had 4 days rest before this game. Put another 6-10 points on the board and maybe they quit. Just feels like Tad is so by the book and not fully in sync with certain situations and his team.

I know I can say this about a lot of teams but I am so curious how the tourney goes for Colorado. I could see them getting an early start, coming out with bubble gum shoes and scoring 18 first half points, down say 35-18 at the half. They get it within 50-43 then fade. I can see them playing a more athletic team and losing in the last two minutes. And I guess if the matchups are right they could make the next weekend. But honestly what do you think is more realistic? That they lose in the first round or make the sweet sixteen? I would be more surprised if they made the 16. I will not be that surprised if they lose in round one. And here’s another question. No matter who they draw in rd 1. I’ll give you the final score. 84-83. Can they win that game? Can they be the team that hits the buzzer beater in the tourney? Or is it heart break city every time.

Frustrating loss. Can't say I expected to win, but to lose in this fashion sucked. Bey and Daniels had particularly bad games. For now, it seems to me that Parquet is a better option than Kountz or Daniels, he gives us less offense but defends better and displayed surprising handle last night.

I think Bey passed on a few three point opportunities he shouldn't have.

Hurts to watch CU blow that lead and utterly collapse with 6min left in the 2 half. That was CU’s game to claim. Then, poof! The shooting and confidence disappeared.

Frustrating that CU couldn’t generate points off of OU’s back court press.

Ducks were effective neutralizing MW4 and Bey down the stretch, and the rest of the offense turtled.

Gotta win in Corvallis. The word Tinkle makes me crave vengeance.

To be perfectly honest, Tad did shorten the bench drastically last night. The issue (and this has been bugging me for a few games now) is Tyler Bey. There are just too many nights lately where he looks and plays like he's totally disinterested. If you even look at the games where he's put up good numbers, he has gone on a tear at some point, but still had large periods of malaise. It's getting frustrating and I'm getting tired of it from a player who should pretty much throw up 15 and 12 easily against EVERY DAMN TEAM WE PLAY!

This game was sadly similar to the 2015 Pac 12 Tournament game I watched in person. Buffs with a 3 point lead on Oregon at half time end up losing by 8 after Oregon applies full court press.

This game was sadly similar to the 2015 Pac 12 Tournament game I watched in person. Buffs with a 3 point lead on Oregon at half time end up losing by 8 after Oregon applies full court press.
And the oregon state game earlier this year. The cat might be out of the bag.

The rush and sloppy stuff against the press in the second half was so disappointing. Veteran team should be able to break the press and get layups 1 out of three trips. And that can soften or remove the press in short order. Why do CU's veteran players get so frantic and make such terrible passing/dribbling decisions?

Back