What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - #20/21 (AP/ Coaches polls)/ #21 (NET rankings) Men's bball at #59 (NET) ASU (Tempe, Thursday, 1/16, 7:00 PM MT, ESPN2)

This is a reasonable expectation. But how often do you actually learn something or get truly insightful analysis from the color guy? For me, I actually learn insightful things from Tony Romo, Hubie Brown and Doris Burke in the NBA (although Hubie is ancient and has lost his fastball), sometimes Jay Bilas in college basketball, and some of the college football guys are actually pretty good. Most of the rest is not interesting or informative to me in the least, it's just background noise at best and annoying babble at worst.

Entertain me damnit, and Walton entertains me.

I really liked it when Bob Knight was a color guy years back, thought it was pretty cool. Not sure if ESPN didnt like it, or he got tired of it.

I really liked it when Bob Knight was a color guy years back, thought it was pretty cool. Not sure if ESPN didnt like it, or he got tired of it.
I don't think very many people like him and I don't think he likes other people too often. Not exactly a people person. But, damn, listening to him talk basketball for a couple hours was allsome. I felt like I was getting insight into a hoops PhD program. That said, I do prefer guys like that (Fran, Raftery) who also do a good job of keeping things fun while they educate me. Knight wasn't fun.

I don't think very many people like him and I don't think he likes other people too often. Not exactly a people person. But, damn, listening to him talk basketball for a couple hours was allsome. I felt like I was getting insight into a hoops PhD program. That said, I do prefer guys like that (Fran, Raftery) who also do a good job of keeping things fun while they educate me. Knight wasn't fun.

Fran is really good. I missed him on my original list. Raftery is more of in the Walton category for me, he's entertaining, I don't really learn a whole lot from him though.

This is a reasonable expectation. But how often do you actually learn something or get truly insightful analysis from the color guy? For me, I actually learn insightful things from Tony Romo, Hubie Brown and Doris Burke in the NBA (although Hubie is ancient and has lost his fastball), sometimes Jay Bilas in college basketball, and some of the college football guys are actually pretty good. Most of the rest is not interesting or informative to me in the least, it's just background noise at best and annoying babble at worst.

Entertain me damnit, and Walton entertains me.

it’s amazing how bad the large majority of color commentators are...kind of reminds me of politics/government — I always scratch my head wondering how they somehow put themselves in a place to get those jobs when there are so many better folks out there

I’ve honestly preferred Mark Johnson and the former player (can’t remember his name) he calls games with this season. GB is also such a good commentator for Buffs football

Fran is really good. I missed him on my original list. Raftery is more of in the Walton category for me, he's entertaining, I don't really learn a whole lot from him though.
I agree, mostly. Raftery and Walton are mostly about having fun and telling stories. But they also drop those great observations in the midst of that -- generally when someone does something exceptionally good or bad. And they'll do a great job of pointing out why something is winning basketball or not.

it’s amazing how bad the large majority of color commentators are...kind of reminds me of politics/government — I always scratch my head wondering how they somehow put themselves in a place to get those jobs when there are so many better folks out there

I’ve honestly preferred Mark Johnson and the former player (can’t remember his name) he calls games with this season. GB is also such a good commentator for Buffs football
Scott Wilke. He was pretty terrible his first year, he's much better now. GB does a great job.

This is because most color commentators get hired based on having a name in the sport from something other than being an announcer or commentator. So they end up getting big jobs before they know how to do the job. Not a lot of them pay their dues the same way that the play-by-play guys must -- they hone their craft as they work their way up.

Knight was definitely a red ass. You're right about him knowing the game, though. I don't think I've ever heard a more knowledgeable coach before or since. Wooden was before my time. There have been so many great coaches, it'd be a lengthy list.

Dakich is my favorite for college. Some people don't like him for his outspoken thoughts on his podcast, but I think he's the best in college. For NBA, I love me some JVG. The guy entertains while providing quality thoughts.

My least favorite guys are the Final Four team of Rafftery, Hill, and Nantz. I hate Nantz. He provides no drama, and is so boring to me. He should only do golf imo. Rafftery is entertaining but is still relevant for one incredible call on Jerome Langs dunk. Hill is one of my favorite all time players, but he sucks so bad calling games. His commentating is so obvious...he says things that any teenager recognizes. And they call the biggest games?!?!

Dakich is my favorite for college. Some people don't like him for his outspoken thoughts on his podcast, but I think he's the best in college. For NBA, I love me some JVG. The guy entertains while providing quality thoughts.

My least favorite guys are the Final Four team of Rafftery, Hill, and Nantz. I hate Nantz. He provides no drama, and is so boring to me. He should only do golf imo. Rafftery is entertaining but is still relevant for one incredible call on Jerome Langs dunk. Hill is one of my favorite all time players, but he sucks so bad calling games. His commentating is so obvious...he says things that any teenager recognizes. And they call the biggest games?!?!
Pretty much agree.

Also, for anyone here who is old enough to remember him -- Al McGuire is the GOAT of color commentators for MBB and it's not even close.

unrelated: Grant Hill is the nicest human being who has any sort of celebrity that I’ve ever met. Bummer he had such terrible knees

I was glad to see that FILA signed Hill to a lifetime deal a couple years ago. That company owes him. I believe that substandard quality shoes was a contributing factor to his injury problems.

I was glad to see that FILA signed Hill to a lifetime deal a couple years ago. That company owes him. I believe that substandard quality shoes was a contributing factor to his injury problems.

I think that's quite a stretch man. He has opened up quite a bit about his injuries. He had a bum ankle that he continued to play on, his team doctors didnt seem to help him w proper diagnosis, and then while playing through pain, it broke. I dont think Nikes would have helped prevent an injury from being aggravated to the point of failure. Someone needed to sit his ass down. He then had a staph infection following surgery. Ankles happen in all shoe brands. Hill's injury career wasnt a terrible injury like Rose, but a series of terrible medical decisions.

Back