What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Looking ahead 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never Wyoming. Not even once.
With Hunter Maldonado back, + 3 PAC-12 transfers, Wyoming looks like tourney team again. Sad that we’re missing playing CSU & Wyoming right when Mtn West is improved. Maybe improved recruiting and deeper talent polls in the west keeps them to near the top of their conference for a while? Maybe not.

I think CU was going to play Nebraska in Boulder for exhibition again; good warm-up for Tennessee & Myrtle Beach? If anyone can talk KU into make-up date, it’s Tad. But I’m not holding my breath on seeing National Champs this year. Maybe future year?

Feels like Tad has to prioritize Javon & Hadley getting development minutes over Gabbidon & Wright. But could see last 2 getting bigger minutes as veteran/ Elite D line-up in bigger games? Agree Q has to get big minutes as best player on team.

Agree with many here that Tad preparing players now to take advantage of speed & skill, since lacking size. I was guessing Lawson starts w/ Hurlburt off bench, but starting to feel like Tad could start Tristan at 5 and Hadley or Q at 4? Curious to see how Tad uses the “waves of wings” rotations?

They must really have a hard time getting any quality opponent to come to Boulder. That home slate is really rough and, as @Buffnik said, we have to sweep it.

They must really have a hard time getting any quality opponent to come to Boulder. That home slate is really rough and, as @Buffnik said, we have to sweep it.
I wouldn't be surprised if the altitude is perceived by prospective opponents as an unfair advantage to CU. if that's the case, I'm not 100% clear on how to overcome that.

off top of my head ideas, some of which clearly indicate I'm willing for CU to make hoops their highest athletic priority
  • push hard for a Pac 12 / <other Big 6 conference> rivalry a.la. the B1G/ACC matchup
  • 2 for 1's shouldn't involve Big 6 schools being on the short end, but that may be a way and I'd consider it against certain schools if I'm the CUAD
  • getting NCAA tourney games (ideally the Final 4, but any) more frequently in Denver or Boulder could be part of the sell as "get your team ready for the tourney by playing a tourney caliber team at altitude..."
  • concessions in other sports ("hey Duke, we'll come to you in La Crosse and soccer, without a return trip, if you give us a home and home in men's hoops")

Feels like Tad has to prioritize Javon & Hadley getting development minutes over Gabbidon & Wright. But could see last 2 getting bigger minutes as veteran/ Elite D line-up in bigger games? Agree Q has to get big minutes as best player on team.

Agree with many here that Tad preparing players now to take advantage of speed & skill, since lacking size. I was guessing Lawson starts w/ Hurlburt off bench, but starting to feel like Tad could start Tristan at 5 and Hadley or Q at 4? Curious to see how Tad uses the “waves of wings” rotations?

I'm glad others are embracing the "Quincy is the best player on the team" hype train. I truly believe he's the type of potential to become a first round pick.

I moved to NJ and am giving up my season tickets. I'm posting because they offer a better price than nearby seats. Seats 1 + 2, Row 18, Sec 12.
Just even with the South backboard, not behins it, but since they're not "sideline" the price is a bit lower. Really nice seats, on the aisle.

I moved to NJ and am giving up my season tickets. I'm posting because they offer a better price than nearby seats. Seats 1 + 2, Row 18, Sec 12.
Just even with the South backboard, not behins it, but since they're not "sideline" the price is a bit lower. Really nice seats, on the aisle.
As someone who has similar seats in a different section I can vouch that the “corner” seats are the best value in the stadium. If I moved 6 seats to the left my cost would triple.

Well, Duke and Arizona agreed to a home and home starting November '23.
It's going to be interesting to see how Duke survives post Coach K.

A lot of very blue blood programs in multiple sports have struggled to replace legendary coaches. UCLA after Wooden, Indiana after Bobby knight. Football with Bama post the Bear (although they have certainly finally found an answer,) etc.

A lot of very blue blood programs in multiple sports have struggled to replace legendary coaches. UCLA after Wooden, Indiana after Bobby knight. Football with Bama post the Bear (although they have certainly finally found an answer,) etc.
The way they still recruit, they'll still be good every year.

They'll never have another era like K's, but they will be great with Final Fours in their future.

As we all know, recruiting is critical to college success. Jon Scheyer took the lead on the '22 class, which is an absolute monster of a class.
Last several teams with the #1 class.

2021: Memphis went 22-11
2020 Kentucky and went 9-16.
2019 Memphis 21-10

Colorado:
2021: 21-12
2020: 23-9
2019: 21-11

The last team to have a good year with the #1 class was Duke in 2018. You still have to coach, manage ego's, get role buy in. Experience and guard play are still king in college hoops. You have to do more than recruit.

Also #firetad

Last edited:
Last year's Ken Pom ratings.

Loyola 29
Tulsa 171
Boise 39
Charlotte 201
A&M 33
Murray 36
Buffs 46
Umass 185

Damn good tournament, about as good as it can be without having any blue blood/national title contenders.
Matt MacMahon went to like LSU didn't he? I'd expect they'd be good still, but I wouldn't expect them to be top 40 KenPom like LY.

Rooney says we're going to Grambling as part of some scheduling agreement the Pac 12 signed with the SWAC. How small time.

Matt MacMahon went to like LSU didn't he? I'd expect they'd be good still, but I wouldn't expect them to be top 40 KenPom like LY.

Rooney says we're going to Grambling as part of some scheduling agreement the Pac 12 signed with the SWAC. How small time.
Murray St. brought back Steve Prohm and are off to the MVC. That program is going to keep rolling along.

I think this was specifically related to HBCUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back