What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB - Change & Commitment for 2023-24

Assuming 2 transfer out, do we bring in A.) A guard that can score and create? B.) A big man? It seems to me like this team was both bullied in the front court and plagued by a lack of scoring

Assuming 2 transfer out, do we bring in A.) A guard that can score and create? B.) A big man? It seems to me like this team was both bullied in the front court and plagued by a lack of scoring
We lose no bigs, have a frosh big coming in and also a big coming off redshirt. That is already addressed. And even if it wasn't, shooting and turnovers were the main problems this season. We lack guards.

An absolutely fantastic write-up! I agree this team was soft as hell and had ZERO leadership. Random musings...
- Clifford needs to be gone yesterday. Zero toughness, zero true basketball skills, zero leadership. He's athletic. Let him go be athletic in the Big Sky - where honestly I don't even see him having the same type of success Kountz had.
- Lovering needs a mentor. Tad needs to bring in a "big" coach this offseason who works exclusively with LL. Develop a pump hesi move, develop a go-to baby hook, develop a move off the pick and roll and work on FTs.
- Worried about Ruffin's health. I don't see Ruffin giving us more than 20 games a season the rest of his time here. We just need to squeeze everything we can out of those games.
- I'm not as hyped for Hurlburt as others seem to be. I just don't see it and I've heard concerning things from some folks in the know.
- Weight room. Fire the entire staff. I said it in other threads throughout the year, but we look like middles schoolers compared to every other team in the conference.
- Hammond should never start. Use him as a kick start guy off the bench to give our opponent's 2nd group fits.
- I think people are going to be surprised at how game ready Diop will be next year. Predicting now he leapfrogs Hurlburt in camp.
- Used to hate on him, but now I love me some LOB. Took him a bit to figure out his role, but he did an I'm glad. Luuuuuke!
- Go get a shooter. From a legit team/conference, please.

Early Starting 5 Prediction:
KJ
Williams
Hadley
TDS
Lovering

Next 4
LOB
Ruffin
Hammond
Diop
I am higher on Hurlburt than you are but like Lovering he comes from a part of the country with limited serious competition against other big men. Lovering is developing nicely and could be a force, Hurlburt will like Lovering take some time but I think could be quality as well, Diop is higher risk but athletic enough to be very high reward.

In light of all this your idea of bringing in a coach who knows how to develop big men makes a lot of sense.

And while getting a shooter would be a plus I still think that getting a guy with real PG skills and mentality would make a big difference for this program.

An absolutely fantastic write-up! I agree this team was soft as hell and had ZERO leadership. Random musings...
- Clifford needs to be gone yesterday. Zero toughness, zero true basketball skills, zero leadership. He's athletic. Let him go be athletic in the Big Sky - where honestly I don't even see him having the same type of success Kountz had.
- Lovering needs a mentor. Tad needs to bring in a "big" coach this offseason who works exclusively with LL. Develop a pump hesi move, develop a go-to baby hook, develop a move off the pick and roll and work on FTs.
- Worried about Ruffin's health. I don't see Ruffin giving us more than 20 games a season the rest of his time here. We just need to squeeze everything we can out of those games.
- I'm not as hyped for Hurlburt as others seem to be. I just don't see it and I've heard concerning things from some folks in the know.
- Weight room. Fire the entire staff. I said it in other threads throughout the year, but we look like middles schoolers compared to every other team in the conference.
- Hammond should never start. Use him as a kick start guy off the bench to give our opponent's 2nd group fits.
- I think people are going to be surprised at how game ready Diop will be next year. Predicting now he leapfrogs Hurlburt in camp.
- Used to hate on him, but now I love me some LOB. Took him a bit to figure out his role, but he did an I'm glad. Luuuuuke!
- Go get a shooter. From a legit team/conference, please.

Early Starting 5 Prediction:
KJ
Williams
Hadley
TDS
Lovering

Next 4
LOB
Ruffin
Hammond
Diop
In regards to Hurlburt, I believe Tad talked about him recently and said at start of camp, he had a steep learning curve, but now, if it weren't for the redshirt, he'd feel comfortable having him in the rotation.

Great discussion in here. I live that we're fully turning over the wing spots. Desperately needed. Da Silva will never be the guy that he is needed to be as a leader, imo. Which is fine, he provides plenty of value. Need KJ to be the alpha and Cody to do some leadership work as well as a freshman.

Hope we can hope for one or two hired gun transfers

The current squad lacks a pure SG. They have a RS Freshman who is injured often, and quality depth beyond that. This puts enormous pressure on the PG's to score, and we saw their shooting percentage and how they can lose games by having to do to much.
I agree with Nik, this unit has the Bigs. This team needs 2 quality SG's. Next would be another PG, in case KJ bolts after next season, then a PF to replace TDS.
This year's team had a PF lead the team in 3pt made and %. That screams SG as the major need.

The current squad lacks a pure SG. They have a RS Freshman who is injured often, and quality depth beyond that. This puts enormous pressure on the PG's to score, and we saw their shooting percentage and how they can lose games by having to do to much.
I agree with Nik, this unit has the Bigs. This team needs 2 quality SG's. Next would be another PG, in case KJ bolts after next season, then a PF to replace TDS.
This year's team had a PF lead the team in 3pt made and %. That screams SG as the major need.
Where is KJ going? Surely you're not suggesting the NBA?!

Lovering Offseason plan is:

View attachment 59494
Add freethrows. It is the easiest thing to work on. Most of time kust by yourselves…no interuption…focus on mechanics…get your routine cemented etc.

500 per day at least. Should really be 1000 considering this season’s numbers. Golfers hit more than 1000/day (the ones that get good that is)

We lose no bigs, have a frosh big coming in and also a big coming off redshirt. That is already addressed. And even if it wasn't, shooting and turnovers were the main problems this season. We lack guards.
People need to stop categorizing Hulburt as a big.

Then he can't guard anyone in this conference.
Season 4 Interest GIF by The Office

Did anyone see Ruffin on the bench in Vegas?

There are a lot of good takes in here.

I think there is going to be some unexpected attrition this off season and I'm very interested to see what Tad will do with the transfer restrictions removed.

There are a lot of ways to round out the roster and this is why Tad gets paid the big bucks. We better make hay while we have Williams.

You realize he's already bigger than a Lovering, right? Listed as 5lbs heavier, plus he's a better athlete than Lawson.
I’ve seen them side by side a lot in warm ups this season and I’m not so sure about that. That said, the point is Hurlburt does not have any sort of 4 or 5 game or mentality. He was basically a stretch 3 in HS. Let’s be honest. He wasn’t posting anyone up or banging down low on defense.

I’ve seen them side by side a lot in warm ups this season and I’m not so sure about that. That said, the point is Hurlburt does not have any sort of 4 or 5 game or mentality. He was basically a stretch 3 in HS. Let’s be honest. He wasn’t posting anyone up or banging down low on defense.
No, but he's an above average athlete for 6'10". Runs very well, good lateral quickness and more explosive than Lovering.

If Siewert could learn to guard bigs, I trust Joe will be able to as well. I think you're taking too much stock in what people told you about his game 5 months ago.

To continue with the honesty, bigs from Wyoming or the Dakotas are not ever going to be banging down low. Their game has to change completely in college. Hurlburt could stay a perimeter player on offense, but that's not what he's going to be asked to do on defense.

I know several people have commented on cutting down the turnovers, but no one seems to be talking about decision making. That is KJ's biggest issue, IMO. He has been slightly better over the last 4-5 games, but for most of the season, he had a minimum of 2, and sometimes 4+ times where he thought he was Joe Montana throwing a 50 yd bomb to Jerry Rice - unfortunately he wasn't, and Nique isn't Rice.

Others (Hammond, Ruffin) also need to learn that no one on the team is 15' tall, and throwing balls that will reach the 12th row of CUEC aren't good choices, either.

All simple, mental errors.

If we're talking TOs, I do want to point out that the team directly addressed that in-season this year. From the start of Feb, they've averaged just 11.5 TOs/game -- that's a good # for a college team, and Tad has said in the past he feels 12-13ish is an appropriate number for his system.

More advanced? That's a 17.1% TO rate. Would've been good for top-100 nationally over the course of a full season. And, that's against a tough part of their schedule (acknowledging the home games against the NorCals to start the month.) Not saying it wasn't an issue, or that there isn't still room for improvement, just that they *did* improve as the year progressed.

If we're talking TOs, I do want to point out that the team directly addressed that in-season this year. From the start of Feb, they've averaged just 11.5 TOs/game -- that's a good # for a college team, and Tad has said in the past he feels 12-13ish is an appropriate number for his system.

More advanced? That's a 17.1% TO rate. Would've been good for top-100 nationally over the course of a full season. And, that's against a tough part of their schedule (acknowledging the home games against the NorCals to start the month.) Not saying it wasn't an issue, or that there isn't still room for improvement, just that they *did* improve as the year progressed.
Good info.

I am very happy if this team values the ball at an under-12 TO per game rate. It's not elite, but that's a number which probably doesn't cost us possessions vs the competition.

We can then gain a possession advantage by winning the glass.

Good info.

I am very happy if this team values the ball at an under-12 TO per game rate. It's not elite, but that's a number which probably doesn't cost us possessions vs the competition.

We can then gain a possession advantage by winning the glass.
I think Tad looks at #s too low as offensive complacency. i.e., two of our best TO games this year were @ UU and home vs USC, 6 TOs each -- those also happen to be the worst performances of the final 10 games of the year.

Back