What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB Game Thread: Buffs vs. The Beavs

This is by far the worst CU team in recent memory. Just ugly all around. Hard to believe coming into this season.

Does Wes look like a guy who's been in a college strength training program for 4 years? Dom is still so skinny he has to wear the T-shirt to cover up his arms.

Does Wes look like a guy who's been in a college strength training program for 4 years? Dom is still so skinny he has to wear the T-shirt to cover up his arms.

Wes looks like a guy who doesn't want to play the sport anymore let alone hit the weight room.

Love the sport coat from Tad. Neutral on the tie. Still hate the tiny 90's half Windsor knot he ties. Hopefully he turns the corner here, turns it on into the later half of the PAC 12 schedule.

Love the sport coat from Tad. Neutral on the tie. Still hate the tiny 90's half Windsor knot he ties. Hopefully he turns the corner here, turns it on into the later half of the PAC 12 schedule.

Is there something going on with that? I saw the Portland (NBA) coach in total 70s gear this week. Plaid jacket, open shirt with a big collar, etc. Some charitable thing or homage to an old coach?

This is the first game I've had a chance to watch extended stretches, and I must say the first half was atrocious. We didn't fight through screens well, we played lazy on-ball defense, some slow close-outs...and our offense if pretty terrible still.

However, our defense finally picked it up after that timeout and we started trapping. That complimented with a few consecutive nice offensive sets by Dom was nice to see.

Hope our energy on D picks up and we keep up with the trap. They struggle with it and I think our players realize the energy required while trapping.

Well good to get a win finally. Our D showed some promise in the second half when trapping and at times to close out. I really don't get our offense though - we don't set any picks except for some lethargic ones that we lazily run through. Whatever though - we won :D GO BUFFS!

15 for 31 from the ft line? Did like seeing king break out and peters get extended minutes and play well.

Was wes sick cause that was not him out there. White with 3 pts and buffs win.

Peters and miller give me hope.

This is still a bad defensive team. But they actually looked like they played hard in the second half. Mind boggling how they can be so bad defensively. Tad said after the game 5 games in a row someone has had a career high against them.

Don't understand the bitching about offense in this thread. Not the problem. At all. Over 80 points 3 games in a row. Probably over 90 tonight if they don't shoot free throws like total ass.

Argus put like 30 people along the baseline to prevent a court rush. No one was interested in doing that, thankfully.

Also, enjoy how the never positive crowd has failed to show up in this thread after the win. Weird...

This is still a bad defensive team. But they actually looked like they played hard in the second half. Mind boggling how they can be so bad defensively. Tad said after the game 5 games in a row someone has had a career high against them.

Don't understand the bitching about offense in this thread. Not the problem. At all. Over 80 points 3 games in a row. Probably over 90 tonight if they don't shoot free throws like total ass.

Argus put like 30 people along the baseline to prevent a court rush. No one was interested in doing that, thankfully.

Also, enjoy how the never positive crowd has failed to show up in this thread after the win. Weird...

Expected behavior

In no universe did I see Akyazili starting over White or Collier. But this is Tad's universe, so...

I just don't like our offense this game, but sure, your point is taken. However, the big difference from stats I've seen and tonight's game is that our shots were actually falling. Our current offense just isn't very appealing, as we have to be shooting well in order to be in the game. I know that's a no-**** type of statement, but we don't really seem to set picks or move a lot to get the best shots. The few picks I can recall were by Wes and...not the best by either him or the ball handler. We swing the ball around, and the onus is on the ball handler to get the defense to move by drive and kick. When your shots are not falling, you have to do more - people without ball move, drive to get to the FT line, find cutters to get easy baskets, anything besides swinging the ball around and looking for an opportunity for a jump shot. Last year, at least we had this set where we'd set three picks in a row up top starting with Scott. I'm not saying it was the best set in the world, but it was an attempt to get a matchup you wanted or free up someone's lane to drive. Hate to be whining after we win, so I'll stop...nice to get a win, but just wanted to respond. If our shooting stays reasonable - sure, this offense is fine.

In no universe did I see Akyazili starting over White or Collier. But this is Tad's universe, so...

I didn't see the first ten minutes or so, but this has got to be a motivational move. I highly doubt this continues.

Sure looks to me like XJ and Wes have checked out. I don't even know what to say about Wes- last night was the worst I've seen him 'play' in 4 years. He wasn't involved at either end, blew several defensive assignments, etc. He really does look completely disinterested at this point. Give his minutes to Siewert.

On 2 occasions in the 2nd half, CU had penetrators (Dom the first time, then White) and an open lane to the hoop if XJ just sets a screen. Instead, he stepped away in order to receive a pass for a more difficult shot. Just selfish play. At least last night the Beavers were conducting their pre-game shoot around at the same time as CU, so XJ had to participate with his teammates. Usually, he's been at the other end by himself during the pre-game.

I just don't like our offense this game, but sure, your point is taken. However, the big difference from stats I've seen and tonight's game is that our shots were actually falling. Our current offense just isn't very appealing, as we have to be shooting well in order to be in the game. I know that's a no-**** type of statement, but we don't really seem to set picks or move a lot to get the best shots. The few picks I can recall were by Wes and...not the best by either him or the ball handler. We swing the ball around, and the onus is on the ball handler to get the defense to move by drive and kick. When your shots are not falling, you have to do more - people without ball move, drive to get to the FT line, find cutters to get easy baskets, anything besides swinging the ball around and looking for an opportunity for a jump shot. Last year, at least we had this set where we'd set three picks in a row up top starting with Scott. I'm not saying it was the best set in the world, but it was an attempt to get a matchup you wanted or free up someone's lane to drive. Hate to be whining after we win, so I'll stop...nice to get a win, but just wanted to respond. If our shooting stays reasonable - sure, this offense is fine.
I didn't see the first ten minutes or so, but this has got to be a motivational move. I highly doubt this continues.

Tad actually talked about this the other day but basically the offense is not the problem. Here is how it breaks down. These are all conference rankings

OffenseDefense
Scoring611
FG %610
3 point FG%1112
Rebounding15
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

our offense has not been beautiful, and it never has. But when you have one of the worst defense in the conference, you just can't be successful unless your are a powerhouse offense. For some reason this team is not buying into the system, or they can't execute it properly. We had a nice win last night, but if we were in Corvallis, that would have been a loss.

I feel like Akyazili is universally praised by announcers. He lacks some physical tools, and he needs to shoot better, but he plays with consistent intensity and composure.

He played 15 minutes last night, logged 6 assists against 0 turnovers and added a steal. I did catch him getting blown by on the perimeter once, and do think he is a bit of a defensive liability.

The ire that he draws on this board confuses me. If he was a 4 star recruit or played starters minutes I could understand; but as a backup playing 10-15 minutes he's a very nice player.

My thoughts after watching this game is that Tad is ready to make some whole sale changes to how he distributes the minutes. Good win to break the streak, I'll take it.

- It was nice to see the young guys get some good experience. Seiwert, Brown and Peters should be real good in a couple years.
- Enjoyed Peters playing like a man. Up in people's face on defense and fearless on the offensive end.
- Looks like King was really the only one pissed off about being benched. Came out and played hard and with an attitude.
- I expected White to be a little more aggressive as well. You know, I think maybe White should not play as much point guard. He just constantly makes some bone head turnovers and I think that's a product of having the ball in his hands too much and trying to make plays for others.
- Wes came out, got dominated, and looked soft. He got the ball taken out of his hands like candy from a baby, had a pathetic dunk attempt that got blocked, and did a yadada all around the court. Very disappointed that Wes hasn't really improved his game or attitude from Freshman to Senior. This has got to be Tad's most frustrating player, and this is kind of on Tad that he couldn't really develop Wes.

My starters going into next game would be Miller, XJ, King, White, Peters. Brown, Collier and Siewert first off the bench. Let Wes sit, maybe he'll get angry enough to play with an attitude and a chip on his shoulder one day.

One last note is that I can't believe this Junior/Senior/5th Yr Senior laden team (White/Fortune/Collier/King/XJ/Gordon/Miller) would be this bad. This goes beyond how Tad is coaching. This is just pride and playing like men. They beat Xavier and thought the season was over. Now, they have these 18 year old dudes coming in and schooling them. I think a lot of that is a pride thing, a leadership thing. One of these players has got to step up and make these guys responsible, especially on the defensive end.

Maybe Wes' confidence was broken when he went to play with the PAC-12 allstars and realized that he didn't really belong on a pac 12 all star team.

I think last nights game shows that Peters can really become a player and I still have a ton of hope for brown as well. So there is hope! At this point, all us fans can do is focus on the positives and hope the underclassman improve instead of regress or leveling off moving forward.

That being said, I am not sure what the stats tell us, but in my mind this is the worst defensive team we have seen at CU since before Ricardo Patton was coach. This team could also be the least interested team when it comes to rebounds, screens, fighting through screens, chasing loose balls since before the Patton era too...though the CBI team of two years ago is really close.

I really hope that coach continues to start the players that work the hardest in practice the remainder of the year and that all of the freshman get a lot of playing time. Looking forward to Wright and Peters being the starting back court next year. Having King revitalized and starting on the wing, having Miller at PF and seeing what Walton can do at the center. That starting rotation, with the freshman coming in and a cadre of players who could make a difference coming off the bench may make this season one we soon forget.

That being said, I am not sure what the stats tell us, but in my mind this is the worst defensive team we have seen at CU since before Ricardo Patton was coach. This team could also be the least interested team when it comes to rebounds, screens, fighting through screens, chasing loose balls since before the Patton era too...though the CBI team of two years ago is really close.

Warning: Small sample size alert for this year so things could change (although I doubt they catch any of his previous teams except for the '14-15 year). You may end up being right, but as of right now it's Tad's worst defensive team since his first year (which had the 9th best offense in the country).

YearCoachDRtgRankDRtg (Conf only)Rank (Conf only)
2016-17Tad102.1122116.610
2015-16Tad94.831101.55
2014-15Tad98.4100104.27
2013-14Tad95.842103.26
2012-13Tad90.12395.51
2011-12Tad93.34795.63
2010-11Tad100.5198107.09
2009-10Bz101.5228111.412
2008-09Bz99.4172109.610
2007-08Bz97.6126110.011
2006-07Patton102.9219112.411
[TBODY] [/TBODY]