What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez sucks...time to move on...

You mean the OL that's allowed the 20th fewest sacks of any OL in the country? To your point, Montez' play is on Montez.

Also, I thought this was interesting. Here are Montez' per game averages by year (best bolded):
YearCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRateRush AttRush YdsYPCTD
9.2​
15.6​
59%​
120​
7.70​
7.40​
1.00​
138​
5.8​
25.67​
0.11​
19.0​
31.4​
60%​
1.50​
0.75​
2.6​
21.5​
33.3​
65%​
237​
7.10​
7.10​
0.75​
135.8​
7.8​
19.83​
2.5​
64%​
246​
7.20​
6.50​
1.43​
1.14​
131.1​
4.0​
5.00​
1.3​
0.00​
The fact that he's pretty much not progressed in a single category in 4 years and has regressed in many is telling.
Maybe Montez has already taken the position that math is an oppressive thing.

1571864078497.png

You mean the OL that's allowed the 20th fewest sacks of any OL in the country? To your point, Montez' play is on Montez.

Also, I thought this was interesting. Here are Montez' per game averages by year (best bolded):
9.2​
15.6​
59%​
120​
7.70​
7.40​
1.00​
138​
5.8​
25.67​
0.11​
19.0​
31.4​
60%​
1.50​
0.75​
2.6​
21.5​
33.3​
65%​
237​
7.10​
7.10​
0.75​
135.8​
7.8​
19.83​
2.5​
64%​
246​
7.20​
6.50​
1.43​
1.14​
131.1​
4.0​
5.00​
1.3​
0.00​
The fact that he's pretty much not progressed in a single category in 4 years and has regressed in many is telling.

That is interesting with the stats. Although CU's run game has been pretty good this year, his Att's are way up. That is probably a function of playing from behind and the defense getting gashed. Also, the sack numbers are down--however IMO Montez does not see a clean pocket too much. Not like UoA, UO or WSU. He scrambles and throws the ball out of bounds. I have noticed that over the past 2 seasons, CU has used much more of a horizontal passing game--bubble screens, RB screens, 3 yard passes to Russel; etc... A good portion of the throws are quick throws by design. That is why his completion % is about the same. UoA killed CU with that horizontal game, but CU's horizonal game goes nowhere.

I think SM does need to throw downfield more. I tend to be in the corner of the 1st poster, if Lytle or Stenstrom have not shown enough to play, then CU rides Montez through the season. I pray for 3 more wins, but it is a prayer. I think if the coaching staff thought one of the back-ups was a game-breaker, they would have played much earlier in the last 2 games. At WSU, perhaps Montez got the 1st series and after they failed to score then shake it up.

I am worried about next year, but there are many teams having decent success with Freshman and Graduate Transfer QB's.

A few weird things with Montez is the knack for great long throws in the 4th quarter. The outing w/ ASU where he was dead on.

9.2​
15.6​
59%​
120​
7.70​
7.40​
1.00​
138​
5.8​
25.67​
0.11​
19.0​
31.4​
60%​
1.50​
0.75​
2.6​
21.5​
33.3​
65%​
237​
7.10​
7.10​
0.75​
135.8​
7.8​
19.83​
2.5​
64%​
246​
7.20​
6.50​
1.43​
1.14​
131.1​
4.0​
5.00​
1.3​
0.00​
We had one of the worst offensive lines in the country last season. We hired an elite OL coach. Now we have made huge leaps forward. It takes money.

True, but it could also show recruits that MT is like MM and hawk, and will play underperforming upperclassman regardless of performance.
Recruits have no idea what MM or Hawkins’ philosophy was on the issue. Tucker will need to sell his own vision and philosophy to recruits. Besides, they are playing the most True Freshman in program history this season. They have a lot to sell in the way of immediate playing time and fair competition.

giphy.gif

There are a lot of ways we could lose tonight, but we can't win unless Montez is at his best. Maybe in the spirit of Halloween, he comes out like a Phillip River's clone - plays without fear and has a 150% commitment to winning.
I've wondered if maybe his cautiousness relates to staying healthy for the nfl. If so, it seems like it's created another problem.
He has shown he has the talent and the drive, on occasion. Maybe tonight is when things click and he starts playing his best all the time. Wishing him and the Buffs the best tonight.

I took a hiatus from posting, as SC was beyond disappointing. We were there in person ready to storm the field. I finally brought myself to re-watch the game twice. The injury sequence was odd, SM left to the locker-room, then returned and was speaking to Goldin with the CU Neuro looking closely on for a long period of time. He was in the conversation. I did not think SM would go almost immediately back into the game, much less the play after Stenstrom scrambled into SC territory. They could have let Stenstrom finish that drive on running alone. The Neuro was right there and obviously cleared him 100%. I'm not sure the coaches really noticed anything until it was way too late. What are they going to pull SM after a few series where he was not right?? I'm not sure if this was to cover the medical staff's butt.

No question in the 2nd half SM and the offense could not get it done in terms of either scoring or running out the clock. I'm baffled as to the reason. The offense looked so good into the 3rd quarter, then the play calling got weird. Throwing deep on 1st down. At one point CU had 20 more offensive plays, and the running game was gashing them good. We call know SC is thin on their front 4 and loaded at the skill positions on defense. All of a sudden, all the different looks go away in the running game, and it is vanilla read-option with pass happy from the pocket. Why they did not live and die by the run is beyond me??

Sometimes, I think the offensive coordinator over-analyzes everything. Trying to be the resident genius, I guess. CU had many basic run plays that yielded yardage, but went completely away from them. Why even use the read-option, unless you need to? Why use it with a QB who got dinged during the game? Very disappointed.

We got to question the CU neuro guy...Montez shouldn't have gone in but CU was on the verge of a big win and the neuro didn't want to ruin the night which he might have yet did by letting Montez go back in. I think USC's defense was wearing down due to the altitude and just needed to keep pounding the ball down the field.

We got to question the CU neuro guy...Montez shouldn't have gone in but CU was on the verge of a big win and the neuro didn't want to ruin the night which he might have yet did by letting Montez go back in. I think USC's defense was wearing down due to the altitude and just needed to keep pounding the ball down the field.

Agree 100%. I even thought it was weird the CU Neuro guy was that involved after SM returned from the locker room. If they cleared him in the locker room, no need to be close to that conversation. I just kept yelling pound the football... instead an bunch of pass plays. That SC debacle has put a dark cloud over this entire week!

Montez doesn't have the fire, time for a different qb. Throws a pick, first play next series he makes a good run AND HE SLIDES!? This is not the nfl, Khalil Mack is not waiting to rip his head off. Put your ****ing shoulder down and show some passion

I really wanted him to do well this year...tough guy...but performance has been degrading...shouldn’t be scoreless against this defense

Montez doesn't have the fire, time for a different qb. Throws a pick, first play next series he makes a good run AND HE SLIDES!? This is not the nfl, Khalil Mack is not waiting to rip his head off. Put your ****ing shoulder down and show some passion
Bad analysis. Out of all the times he picks to slide, that was the right one.

Bad analysis. Out of all the times he picks to slide, that was the right one.
No it wasn't, did you play football? He just threw a pick, any player worth **** who has fire and heart would be pissed and try to run someone over. These aren't NFL linebackers and he's not an NFL qb. Montez doesn't have heart

No it wasn't, did you play football? He just threw a pick, any player worth **** who has fire and heart would be pissed and try to run someone over. These aren't NFL linebackers and he's not an NFL qb. Montez doesn't have heart
Lol...yes I played football, but that doesn’t mean anything 😂 what does him throwing a pick have anything to do with running for a first down and sliding? Or have anything to do with being an nfl qb? Stupid abounds on this forum. Get the first down, stay healthy...I’m questioning whether you played football actually, haha

Lol...yes I played football, but that doesn’t mean anything 😂 what does him throwing a pick have anything to do with running for a first down and sliding? Or have anything to do with being an nfl qb? Stupid abounds on this forum. Get the first down, stay healthy...I’m questioning whether you played football actually, haha

Well you playing football does mean something.
If a player makes a mistake, in the game of football, wouldn't you want him to try and dish out as much punishment he can against the next sob he runs across.
The NFL is full of grown ass beast men, this is college and UCLA doesn't have the next ray Lewis.
Stay healthy lol. The pride and tradition of the Colorado buffaloes will not be entrusted to the TIMID or weak. Montez is timid and clearly so are you

Well you playing football does mean something.
If a player makes a mistake, in the game of football, wouldn't you want him to try and dish out as much punishment he can against the next sob he runs across.
The NFL is full of grown ass beast men, this is college and UCLA doesn't have the next ray Lewis.
Stay healthy lol. The pride and tradition of the Colorado buffaloes will not be entrusted to the TIMID or weak. Montez is timid and clearly so are you
No, I don’t want my quarterback to dish out as much punishment as he can. I guess I didn’t play enough to learn that lesson.

No, I don’t want my quarterback to dish out as much punishment as he can. I guess I didn’t play enough to learn that lesson.

Lol I guess you think tebow was a good quarterback in college because of his throwing ability. Mel Tucker is trying to install mental and physical toughness... Sliding the very next play after you throw a pick is neither

Lol I guess you think tebow was a good quarterback in college because of his throwing ability. Mel Tucker is trying to install mental and physical toughness... Sliding the very next play after you throw a pick is neither
I’m confused. You like quarterbacks that don’t slide...that’s Tebow! But you don’t like Tebow? I think this discussion has run its course.

I’m confused. You like quarterbacks that don’t slide...that’s Tebow! But you don’t like Tebow? I think this discussion has run its course.

Yeah nice try with the misdirection, never said I liked tebow or not and btw no he rarely slide. Your right for once, the discussion has run it's course you clearly lost claiming I said stuff I never did.

If you want to watch tebow sliding a bunch YouTube the game against South Carolina in 2007.... ****ing idiot

Back