What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez sucks...time to move on...

I think I started this thread...I thank SM for what he’s done...but when you have a QB play as long as he has, you have no other QB...previous staff rode him with nothing to follow...it’s tough to be successful when you don’t have talent to challenge the QB...or provide a supporting cast to make the QB successful...wish him well...

So many bad habits so deeply engrained. Knows he needs to do it a different way, but just can’t.
Yep, because what does he do anytime he starts getting rattled, aka "panic mode"? He reverts right back to what gets him in trouble.

If we lose Saturday, I'd either a) sit him altogether or b) give Stenstrom and Lytle a couple series each (assuming Lytle is healthy enough to play) in that game. I get that its Senior Day, but you've got to find a happy medium between honoring the seniors and ensuring you're doing what's best for the future of the program. One of my biggest questions for this team going into 2020 is the QB situation. If I had to bet, I'd say we're starting either Lewis or a grad transfer against CSU next year, but I'd argue we're not doing right by Stenstrom and Lytle to give them a chance to operate this offense this year and get stuff on tape for the coaches going into the spring if we lose to Stanford.

That doesn't mean we as fans have to agree with his decisions.

This is a dumb take-he's a 6'5", 230 pound QB with a pretty good arm. He's going to get drafted, and its going to probably be way earlier than a lot of you think. Should Denver be the team to do it? No-too many other holes on this roster to take a flyer on another khaki pants QB. The teams I cited in the previous post are perfect spots for him-He wouldn't need to play immediately in any of those situations, and he'd have great QBs to watch and learn from in all three. The Chargers and Saints in particular need to start thinking about life after Rivers and Brees respectively, so I'd expect both to take QBs at some point in April. I think you always take at least take a flyer on a QB in the draft-even if you don't need them. New England has used backups they've developed to gain additional draft capital (Jimmy G) and fill other holes on their roster (Brissett).
We must be watching different games.

I can see him going in the 4th round. He is going to be fairly impressive at the combine and throwing drills with no pass rushers.

Tucker is doing what is best for the team, not the fans. I support that approach and this decision

Now this convo is null and void-roll with him against UW and then if you lose play Blake and Tyler

Last edited:
I hope all the Montez bashers will realize his contribution to the Buffs. He will leave CU as one of the top 5 greatest QB's in school history, statistics validate that and his leadership has been undervalued. Yes, he misses sweet spot passes at times, but name a QB at any level who has not. Montez is CU royalty, his stats support that. He played in a time of change, a part of teams that were not very good to a point where CU is indeed on the rise and he did so as starting QB with 3 different systems and Offense Coordinators. Yes, he could have been better, but he will be a legacy guy, in the transition back to dominance.

I will say this: Montez has really grown this year. I wish he'd remembered who he was as a QB earlier instead of the last 2.5 years of him trying to be a pocket passer, but it's been nice to see growth from him.

I think Montez was coached to play it safe because MM knew he didn’t have a viable option behind Montez. Look how they played Sefo when they had Montez waiting in the wings.

Sad it took JJ and MT so long to figure out you got to let SM run and get physical to lock him into his power mode.

Shook his hand at the spring game, he was very polite and he was off the charts good with the kids who all wanted his autograph and photo. Steven Montez is a really good kid and has been a role model buff. He hasn’t always been great and at times he’s been maddening beyond belief. I’ve given him a ton of flack and criticized him as much as anyone but he deserves some praise for last night for sure. He has played his ass off for the Buffs and he’s been a role model student, I’m proud he chose to attend the University of Colorado. Thanks Montez for all the memories.

Let’s also not forget this is a kid that beat Oregon in Oregon, Stanford, Washington and had USC on the ropes, he broke our cycle of losing against those opponents and beat the best teams in the conference.

Shook his hand at the spring game, he was very polite and he was off the charts good with the kids who all wanted his autograph and photo. Steven Montez is a really good kid and has been a role model buff. He hasn’t always been great and at times he’s been maddening beyond belief. I’ve given him a ton of flack and criticized him as much as anyone but he deserves some praise for last night for sure. He has played his ass off for the Buffs and he’s been a role model student, I’m proud he chose to attend the University of Colorado. Thanks Montez for all the memories.

Let’s also not forget this is a kid that beat Nebraska x 2, Oregon in Oregon, Stanford, Washington, was undefeated against the ewe's, and had USC on the ropes, he broke our cycle of losing against those opponents and beat the best teams in the conference.
Good post, but FIFY. I understand the intent of your post, but I thought those two accomplishments deserve to be included because they're important

Last edited:
I hope all the Montez bashers will realize his contribution to the Buffs. He will leave CU as one of the top 5 greatest QB's in school history, statistics validate that and his leadership has been undervalued. Yes, he misses sweet spot passes at times, but name a QB at any level who has not. Montez is CU royalty, his stats support that. He played in a time of change, a part of teams that were not very good to a point where CU is indeed on the rise and he did so as starting QB with 3 different systems and Offense Coordinators. Yes, he could have been better, but he will be a legacy guy, in the transition back to dominance.

This is like a Stockholm Syndrome post. I don't understand why our fanbase sometimes feels the need to spin everything into a positive.

On a personal level, I wish Montez all the best -- but we did a lot of losing with him... His legacy will be underachieving and never fully realizing his potential. That's it.

This is like a Stockholm Syndrome post. I don't understand why our fanbase sometimes feels the need to spin everything into a positive.

On a personal level, I wish Montez all the best -- but we did a lot of losing with him... His legacy will be underachieving and never fully realizing his potential. That's it.
Also may be first QB drafted this century.

Back