What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez’s 2018 Season - Thoughts?

Couldn't agree more. Montez is the key. Also heard a lot of the internal concern over the O-Line was quieted with the groups spring performance. Fontenot looks like a stud, and Moretti is the real deal. Is it August 31st yet?!?!?
That potential is what has me so excited about the coming season. A lot has to come together with unknowns with this team, but I see a path to a South title and/or Top 20 type season that doesn't require any craziness in order for it to happen. #1 on the list of things that has to come together is Montez looking like he has for stretches as a starter.

SpeedyConcreteCero.gif

I spoke with a member of the CU coaching staff last night, sense is that the coaching staff genuinely believes that #12 has the ability to be a first round draft pick. It'll be an interesting season....he has the tools to be a top tier QB. If our WR's hang onto balls at UCLA, and ASU, and we don't knock UA's starter out in the first quarter, the view on Montez is a guy who lead us to an 8-4 record and a bowl game. I've got Montez down for 3,700 and 25 TD's.
He’s ranked 21 by Phil Steele for draft eligible QBs. That won’t even get him drafted.

3700 and 25 would be good. He needs to improve substantially to be drafted.

If Patrick Mahomes is a 1st round draft pick, Montez definitely has the potential to be there as well. His physical tool set is on par with anyone in the country, as it relates to what NFL teams are looking for, so it all relies on the mental side of things.

Good point. There are guys playing in the NFL that are very flawed QBs. There are teams every year in the top 25 playing with QBs who marginal at best. Fact is that there just aren't very many quality, complete QBs out there.

Montez has his flaws, he is inconsistent, he makes mistakes. Well, so do a lot of other guys including guys who will be taking snaps for pay this year.

Montez has the physical talent to make a difference in football games. Despite our frustrations he took steps forward last year in the mental/emotional part of the game. There is no reason to think that can't and won't continue.

It is common knowledge that unless you are close to undefeated the most popular guy in town is almost always the back up QB. Buffs fans will like fans everywhere be clamoring for a change as soon as things get rough.

We just need to keep in mind that the coaches aren't stupid. If Montez is the starter it is for a reason. Switching to the back up very rarely results in positive changes and more often is negative. We are just going to have to live with the flaws that Montez has and hope that he continues to improve.

If he does and most importantly the OL is better this team could be significantly better on offense than last years team.

He’s ranked 21 by Phil Steele for draft eligible QBs. That won’t even get him drafted.

3700 and 25 would be good. He needs to improve substantially to be drafted.
Phil Steele is a college football analyst, not an NFL draftnik. Josh Allen was drafted in the 1st round because of his physical skill set, not because of his performance or statistics in college.

Phil Steele is a college football analyst, not an NFL draftnik. Josh Allen was drafted in the 1st round because of his physical skill set, not because of his performance or statistics in college.
Another example: There were scouts saying Mahomes shouldn't even be drafted and he was the second QB taken in the draft that year. There are a ton of opinions out there.

Skills are no where near Allen’s.

DraftScout has him at 12. That’s on the verge of being drafted.

He will need to improve substantially.

Skills are no where near Allen’s.

DraftScout has him at 12. That’s on the verge of being drafted.

He will need to improve substantially.
Allen is 6'5" 237 lbs... Montez is 6'5" 230 lbs

Arm strength is the most overrated QB trait, but Montez has plenty of it in the same way Josh Allen does. Montez absolutely has the better accuracy and will have the better stats. Not sure what skills of Allen's you're talking about. Maybe that he played in a Pro Style offense or played under center more (irrelevant)? I'll give you the leadership with Allen from all accounts was pretty good.

Arm strength is the most overrated QB trait, but Montez has plenty of it in the same way Josh Allen does. Montez absolutely has the better accuracy and will have the better stats. Not sure what skills of Allen's you're talking about. Maybe that he played in a Pro Style offense or played under center more (irrelevant)? I'll give you the leadership with Allen from all accounts was pretty good.
I’ll mark you down for Montez as Round 1 pick. May come true with substantial improvement.

I am not sure about the accuracy aspect just yet, but you could be right. Where Montez really falls behind Allen is the ability to read a defense and progress past his first target. I am hopeful that this is where we see the most improvement from Montez this year.....if we do, he could be in for a very big year.

I am not sure about the accuracy aspect just yet, but you could be right. Where Montez really falls behind Allen is the ability to read a defense and progress past his first target. I am hopeful that this is where we see the most improvement from Montez this year.....if we do, he could be in for a very big year.
I'm not convinced making 3-4 reads on every play is going to be a prerequisite for an NFL QB going forward. The NFL is quickly adopting college passing concepts, and QBs coming from spread and even air raid-type offensive systems are going to become the norm, IMO. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years we see offensive plays being signaled in from the sideline, ala college with the 3 backup QBs, or big poster cards. Just my bold prediction.

That potential is what has me so excited about the coming season. A lot has to come together with unknowns with this team, but I see a path to a South title and/or Top 20 type season that doesn't require any craziness in order for it to happen. #1 on the list of things that has to come together is Montez looking like he has for stretches as a starter.

The craziness is better coaching to reach that level.

The craziness is better coaching to reach that level.
Eliot has to make a huge jump that nothing in his past shows is within his skill set. Chev has to be there in his first turn at the wheel. That's a **** ton to ask, for sure.

It should help Eliot that he has Brown and Els with him for a second year along with Drake replacing Jeffcoat and Ambrose adding a good coach as a full addition of a coach position.

It should help Chev that he has Roper in the room and handling Montez.

I also think that we are discounting special teams too much. We seem to be in panic mode when it's a weakness of the team, but we don't seem to be giving it a nod as a group that should win us a couple close games with Els leading the coaching for a 2nd year and having everyone coming back at K, P, LS, KR & PR after them all having very good 2017 seasons.

Eliot has to make a huge jump that nothing in his past shows is within his skill set. Chev has to be there in his first turn at the wheel. That's a **** ton to ask, for sure.

It should help Eliot that he has Brown and Els with him for a second year along with Drake replacing Jeffcoat and Ambrose adding a good coach as a full addition of a coach position.

It should help Chev that he has Roper in the room and handling Montez.

I also think that we are discounting special teams too much. We seem to be in panic mode when it's a weakness of the team, but we don't seem to be giving it a nod as a group that should win us a couple close games with Els leading the coaching for a 2nd year and having everyone coming back at K, P, LS, KR & PR after them all having very good 2017 seasons.

I think special teams will help for sure. I just question if the coaching (and depth) can come together for a special season.

A no brainer here, but Lindsay kept defenses honest with the running game last year. If the running game can develop, it should allow Montez and the up-tempo offense to put up big numbers. I like the chances of this offense with Chev leading the way. Eliot, not so much - But the linebackers and Fisher roaming deep should be a defensive strength. If the D-lineman can hold the edges, look out!

I spoke with a member of the CU coaching staff last night, sense is that the coaching staff genuinely believes that #12 has the ability to be a first round draft pick. It'll be an interesting season....he has the tools to be a top tier QB. If our WR's hang onto balls at UCLA, and ASU, and we don't knock UA's starter out in the first quarter, the view on Montez is a guy who lead us to an 8-4 record and a bowl game. I've got Montez down for 3,700 and 25 TD's.
Call me crazy, but I think it would help us to knock UA's starter out in the first quarter...this year.

I'm not convinced making 3-4 reads on every play is going to be a prerequisite for an NFL QB going forward. The NFL is quickly adopting college passing concepts, and QBs coming from spread and even air raid-type offensive systems are going to become the norm, IMO. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in the next few years we see offensive plays being signaled in from the sideline, ala college with the 3 backup QBs, or big poster cards. Just my bold prediction.
Pro QBs have ear pieces. What does a pro QB really do anymore anyway?

Pro QBs have ear pieces. What does a pro QB really do anymore anyway?
NFL OCs want to control everything. I miss the 70s and 80s before Bill Walsh revolutionized offense - back when the QBs called their own plays from the huddle. The huddle made that delay between plays better, too, because there was actual substitution and movement. The current trend of going straight to the line and then using the entire play clock to evaluate the defensive personnel and get a feel for whether they're in man or zone before snapping with a second or two on the clock -- that's about unwatchable to me. Peyton Manning offenses were the worst. Like watching a chess match instead of a football game. But now it's the same Peyton crap but without the players being the ones who are strategizing and being creative. Instead, it's the coordinator orchestrating like he's playing a video game. No reason to even hire football people as OCs these days. Would be better to hire someone who won a competition of Madden with play calling and audibles turned on but with the actual game play on AI.

NFL OCs want to control everything. I miss the 70s and 80s before Bill Walsh revolutionized offense - back when the QBs called their own plays from the huddle. The huddle made that delay between plays better, too, because there was actual substitution and movement. The current trend of going straight to the line and then using the entire play clock to evaluate the defensive personnel and get a feel for whether they're in man or zone before snapping with a second or two on the clock -- that's about unwatchable to me. Peyton Manning offenses were the worst. Like watching a chess match instead of a football game. But now it's the same Peyton crap but without the players being the ones who are strategizing and being creative. Instead, it's the coordinator orchestrating like he's playing a video game. No reason to even hire football people as OCs these days. Would be better to hire someone who won a competition of Madden with play calling and audibles turned on but with the actual game play on AI.
That’s exactly what I’m talking about! Like, yuck.

You started off strong, but really faded toward the end in this one, nik.

You started off strong, but really faded toward the end in this one, nik.
Hey, it's cool that you like watching chess. I tend to enjoy watching football with better pacing that's more about QBs being gunslingers and offenses more about athletes making plays.

Hey, it's cool that you like watching chess. I tend to enjoy watching football with better pacing that's more about QBs being gunslingers and offenses more about athletes making plays.
I was referring to the last line of, "No reason to even hire football people as OCs these days. Would be better to hire someone who won a competition of Madden with play calling and audibles turned on but with the actual game play on AI". Tini could not be an OC at any level.

Back