What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Naming rights for CSU's new stadium - ideas?

Again, I think the last concert at Folsom was now over 10 years ago. Residential groups just won't stand for it. And how will the on campus facility not be near homes? Other than football, Folsom gets maybe 10 uses a year. Maybe. And only a few of those actually generate revenue.

Honestly, I have no idea whether concerts or other things are a viable revenue model for the university. I am sure President Frank is asking those exact questions. But like I said, if he is committed to upgrading the facilities as has he has stated many many times, there is simply no way he can justify putting another dime into Hughes given the overall price tag bring that stadium up to modern standards.

you guys aren't going to get concerts in Fort Collins. It is too far from Denver and there are so many other great venues around the metro area (and I am not talking about Folsom because that place is mediocre for a concert as well).

Clearly you didn't head to New West Fest this weekend! I drove up to the Micheal Franti concert on Friday night from Denver and there were probably 20,000 people at the show in Old Town. Not sure how viable that is long-term, but I had a real good time (and way too much beer.)

Clearly you didn't head to New West Fest this weekend! I drove up to the Micheal Franti concert on Friday night from Denver and there were probably 20,000 people at the show in Old Town. Not sure how viable that is long-term, but I had a real good time (and way too much beer.)

and you think they are going to want to move this to a stadium just because a stadium is there?

and you think they are going to want to move this to a stadium just because a stadium is there?

I am not saying that at all. Actually it was a free event that the Pat Stryker's group puts on every year. Its a great weekend of music with a lot of local bands from the front range. They shut down Old Town and serve a bunch of good local beer. People should check it out - its one of the highlights for my summer every year.

Last edited:
I am not saying that at all. Actually it was a free event that the Pat Stryker's group puts on every year. Its a great weekend of music with a lot of local bands from the front range. They shut down Old Town and serve a bunch of good local beer. People should check it out - its one of the highlights for my summer every year.

I might go when I can take a train back from Fort Collins to my house, so hopefully it is still playing in 2144.

Bingo. This is going to be right next to a residential area. They are already unhappy with the stadium. They aren't going to put up with noise (as Nik pointed out a couple months back), parking disruption, and traffic disruption on any sort of regular basis. I can't think of a football stadium in Colorado that gets used for alternate activities on a regular basis.
Implying they have a say in what CSU does

You don't just piss off the city unless you absolutely need to. Too much politics involved with public universities. CSU has not proven a need to do so. They are not selling out Hughes as is. They are not landing events that demand the stadium be updated. There is no need to build the new stadium. There is a huge amount of want though by the handful of true fans.

You don't just piss off the city unless you absolutely need to. Too much politics involved with public universities. CSU has not proven a need to do so. They are not selling out Hughes as is. They are not landing events that demand the stadium be updated. There is no need to build the new stadium. There is a huge amount of want though by the handful of true fans.

You're right. We should just stop building what is good for CSU because the community doesn't agree with it. That kind of thinking will work well for universities.

Time to institute a vote for all future university plans.

If CU was to go public with PLANS to upgrade Folsom and nearby facilities for $275million there would be the same community outlash and if they did a poll of faculty members there would be the same disagreement.

Last edited:
You think CSU will piss off its neighbors for some concerts? You're delusional.

I predict there will be events in year 1, a few less events in year 2, and then by year 3 it will be like every other football stadium in the country - used sparingly.

You think CSU will piss off its neighbors for some concerts? You're delusional.

I predict there will be events in year 1, a few less events in year 2, and then by year 3 it will be like every other football stadium in the country - used sparingly.

Why the hell should we care what they think? CSU already has concerts on campus. I've been to several outdoor concerts since I've been a student. Went to B.O.B and Sean Kingston on the Lagoon last August.

Don't ever think a city doesn't have leverage or recourse. CU always works with the city of Boulder and has regular planning meetings with the council. Could CU simply tell Boulder to stick it because state property overrides city ordinances? Sure. But do you really want the city to have an adversarial relationship with the university? Absolutely not. Just as a simple example, the city could refuse to provide police on campus for security on game days. Instead, it could allocate all those police officers to set up sobriety checkpoints on the roads into and out of campus on gamedays in order to slow traffic to a halt and create a huge hassle for fans. It's not worth it to go there. Better to be a good neighbor.

Don't ever think a city doesn't have leverage or recourse. CU always works with the city of Boulder and has regular planning meetings with the council. Could CU simply tell Boulder to stick it because state property overrides city ordinances? Sure. But do you really want the city to have an adversarial relationship with the university? Absolutely not. Just as a simple example, the city could refuse to provide police on campus for security on game days. Instead, it could allocate all those police officers to set up sobriety checkpoints on the roads into and out of campus on gamedays in order to slow traffic to a halt and create a huge hassle for fans. It's not worth it to go there. Better to be a good neighbor.
Like I've said before. Did we do a community vote before we hold concerts on campus already? Did we perform a community vote when we set of fireworks to celebrate our $500mil academic campaign success?

Don't think so, and I'm sure not everyone liked it.

Why the hell should we care what they think? CSU already has concerts on campus. I've been to several outdoor concerts since I've been a student. Went to B.O.B and Sean Kingston on the Lagoon last August.

As a student you shouldn't care. The president and the higher ups at the university needs to be diligent in making their decisions with the community in mind. That part of the job sucks because the community doesn't always have the university or the cities understanding on what will make their lives better. You need to be able to explain to the people against it in a way that the president and the AD just hasn't done yet.

You also have to be willing to compromise which is what I'd bet is going to happen.

You're right. We should just stop building what is good for CSU because the community doesn't agree with it. That kind of thinking will work well for universities.

Time to institute a vote for all future university plans.

If CU was to go public with PLANS to upgrade Folsom and nearby facilities for $275million there would be the same community outlash and if they did a poll of faculty members there would be the same disagreement.

As much as you and your fan base hate to admit it, CU and CSU are not equals. The needs of our universities are not equivalent. What one does the other doesn't get the right to do. The city of boulder would not exist without CU. Fort Collins would still be there. We have some leverage that CSU doesn't, due to our history. There is a difference with using university property to simply build a new building that would not affect the day to day traffic, or the noise levels aroudn the city. CSU is talking about a project that would affect the whole area around that side of campus. You have to take the public opinion into consideration on projects like this.

Here is an example. If CU were to build a new baseball stadium on our south campus, we would have to have some discussions and address the concerns of the surrounding neighborhood. In the end we would have to decide if what we want to build and our desire to do so is greater than the backlash we would receive from doing so.

Like I've said before. Did we do a community vote before we hold concerts on campus already? Did we perform a community vote when we set of fireworks to celebrate our $500mil academic campaign success?

Don't think so, and I'm sure not everyone liked it.

Your administration probably did talk to the city before those things.....

They have talked about concerts, for example, in an effort to leverage the facility as best they can. Those are things that cannot be done at Hughes given its close proximity to residential homes. Most of the close proximity housing next to the newly proposed stadium is student based housing. Plus you lose out on any opportunity relating to the preimium seating revenue.

I just don't see how anyone could possibly justify $130 million to renovate Hughes with no significant exapansion. That, to me, would be the worst possible decision the university could make.

What kind of upgrades are needed to Hughes that are projected to cost $130 million? That price tag seems awfully high just for renovations, unless it's the more likely scenario which is to inflate the estimated cost and extensiveness of the renovations in order to make the new stadium look like that much better of a good deal. And as for expansion, why is that even being considered? Hughes holds 34K and they've averaged about 22K over the past 2 seasons.

How many people were at that concert? Nowhere near as many as you would want from a stadium concert. The point of having concerts at the stadium would be to have bigger crowds than they can have anyplace else in town. Which means: 1) a lot more people coming from off campus than you'd get for B.O.B. and Sean Kingston and 2) a lot more issues that are going to affect the surrounding neighborhoods. The fact that smaller concerts are happening now doesn't mean that the community won't have issues with bigger ones. And yes, CSU does have to care about that fact...

How many people were at that concert? Nowhere near as many as you would want from a stadium concert. The point of having concerts at the stadium would be to have bigger crowds than they can have anyplace else in town. Which means: 1) a lot more people coming from off campus than you'd get for B.O.B. and Sean Kingston and 2) a lot more issues that are going to affect the surrounding neighborhoods. The fact that smaller concerts are happening now doesn't mean that the community won't have issues with bigger ones. And yes, CSU does have to care about that fact...

Several thousand.

You guys are missing the point. Not EVERY event in the stadium would be noisy or a concert. TF mentioned that the majority of the events held there would be 20-100 people...weddings etc.

Several thousand.

You guys are missing the point. Not EVERY event in the stadium would be noisy or a concert. TF mentioned that the majority of the events held there would be 20-100 people...weddings etc.

Should be able to pay off the $250 milliion dollar stadium quickly with 20 person weddings. Why didn't we think of that? I blame Bohn.

What kind of upgrades are needed to Hughes that are projected to cost $130 million? That price tag seems awfully high just for renovations, unless it's the more likely scenario which is to inflate the estimated cost and extensiveness of the renovations in order to make the new stadium look like that much better of a good deal. And as for expansion, why is that even being considered? Hughes holds 34K and they've averaged about 22K over the past 2 seasons.

Ding ding ding! Hughes was a dump before these last years but I don't remember ram fans saying it needed to be torn down. (Maybe cause only CC and his closest 50 friends were the only ones attending. :smile2:) In fact, Ram fans have been saying for years how much better Hughes is compared to the stadium covered in clay or whatever their derogatory term was for Folsom.

All of a sudden the possibility is there for a new stadium and now Hughes has to be torn down! Some CSU fans are even writing the president and telling him they will not renew unless their is a new stadium built!

Frei article said:
event, facilities development fee and other revenue: $440,000 to $4.4 million

Several thousand.

:lol:

Derp.

Several thousand.

:lol: :lol: And those events aren't going to do jack **** to pay for the stadium. The events people are talking about in generating revenue are 30,000 ticket concerts, not Uncle Clyde and Aunt Gertrude's 50th anniversary party or Elmer Goldstein's bar mitzvah....

:lol: :lol: And those events aren't going to do jack **** to pay for the stadium. The events people are talking about in generating revenue are 30,000 ticket concerts, not Uncle Clyde and Aunt Gertrude's 50th anniversary party or Elmer Goldstein's bar mitzvah....

Aunt Gertrude likes to drink. That one might make some money if CSU is catering.

No one ever said it would be a large portion of the payment for the stadium. I think they said $400k/year. $400k extra a year is a nice solid stream though. Better than what we currently get at Hughes

LMFAO fluff fans are so ridiculously stupid its pathetic

Last edited:
No one ever said it would be a large portion of the payment for the stadium. I think they said $400k/year.

I know you hate us just because we happen to root for another sports team but our thoughts have been validated so far.

No one ever said it would be a large portion of the payment for the stadium. I think they said $400k/year.

So, we've just found the realistic annual revenue from the new stadium outside of football. It is 400k. Let's do some math. 250 million that generates an extra 400k versus 130 million that generates a little new revenue itself (club seats etc for parties will probably be the same at Hughes as they would be for the new stadium for that kind of cash).

There goes the justification for spending that extra 120 million. Which MEAAAAAANS....

So, we've just found the realistic annual revenue from the new stadium outside of football. It is 400k. Let's do some math. 250 million that generates an extra 400k versus 130 million that generates a little new revenue itself (club seats etc for parties will probably be the same at Hughes as they would be for the new stadium for that kind of cash).

There goes the justification for spending that extra 120 million. Which MEAAAAAANS....

Naming rights, other sponsorships, premium seating. How many times does this need to be said until it gets into your tiny brain?

Renovating Hughes isn't even plausible as no one is going to pay for it and JG and TF want a brand new one. So arguing that is pointless

Naming rights, other sponsorships, premium seating. How many times does this need to be said until it gets into your tiny brain?

Renovating Hughes isn't even plausible as no one is going to pay for it and JG and TF want a brand new one. So arguing that is pointless
A renovated Hughes doesn't have those things? WTF are you getting for 130 million?

Back