What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Naming rights for CSU's new stadium - ideas?

Not at the same amounts as a new one would bring.

I'm not even going to argue the Hughes stadium renovation, because that's not going to happen
But it will have those things, albeit smaller, at a significantly lesser cost? HMMMM

But it will have those things, albeit smaller, at a significantly lesser cost? HMMMM

No ones donating to renovating Hughes. End of discussion

Off-campus. End of discussion. Sad you still don't get this 9 months after the stadium was "announced"

A renovated Hughes doesn't have those things? WTF are you getting for 130 million?

This from the Channel 9 News Story:

The review of Hughes will focus on what maintenance issues the 32,500-seat facility west of the city has, and will also examine the possible costs of upgrading the facility with more seats and nicer concourses, and the possible costs of a major overhaul to add club and box seats, and special-events spaces.

Basically, you cannot expand Hughes without serious structural reconfigurations. The south endzone area sits over the locker rooms below and would need to be significantly reinforced to add seating. CSU would have to build up on the east side or north side of the stadium to add boxes if they wanted to expand premium seating. I just don't see how utlizing Hughes gets Frank to his stated goals.

Last edited:
This is why I hate the RMS. You have 20k Creatinies and gasms being juvenile idots in a game that doesn't mean ****.

This generation has grown up on the anonymous internet turning them into raging douche bags.

Basically, you cannot expand Hughes without serious structural reconfigurations. The south endzone area sits over the locker rooms below and would need to be significantly reinforced to add seating. CSU would have to build up on the east side or north side of the stadium to add boxes if they wanted to expand premium seating. I just don't see how utlizing Hughes gets Frank to his stated goals.
sounds like something you would get for 130 million. Do you have anything that states that 130 million gets nothing but maintenance done?

That makes sense. I support an on-campus stadium for CSU. I think it makes a lot of sense in terms of having a more efficient utilization of the football stadium asset and also for enhancing gameday experience for fans. Plus, a new stadium could be designed based on 21st century dynamics and knowledge to make the stadium better for meeting needs than a retrofit ever could.

What I've never understood is why it would need to be more than 30-35k seats, especially for the initial build. Have a plan that could expand later, if warranted, to get to 40k or 45k or 50k.

Edit: My support is also contingent on the finances making sense in terms of donation and being able to pay for it (including any bonds that may be necessary) out of conservative revenue forecasts and student fees.

That makes sense. I support an on-campus stadium for CSU. I think it makes a lot of sense in terms of having a more efficient utilization of the football stadium asset and also for enhancing gameday experience for fans. Plus, a new stadium could be designed based on 21st century dynamics and knowledge to make the stadium better for meeting needs than a retrofit ever could.

What I've never understood is why it would need to be more than 30-35k seats, especially for the initial build. Have a plan that could expand later, if warranted, to get to 40k or 45k or 50k.

Yeah keep both ends open and it shouldn't cost to much to fill in those sections in the future.

Basically, dig a hole, put in seats, top them with some club seats, and have it designed to be done in phases. Wonder if Mr. Jack AD thought that he was much more likely to end up with a 130 mil option and decided to throw out the ridiculous option in order to make the (still ambitious) smaller version a seemingly valid option.

I'll ask this again - where does the idea that CSU needs to expand their stadium come from? They've been averaging about 12K under capacity in recent years.

Basically, dig a hole, put in seats, top them with some club seats, and have it designed to be done in phases. Wonder if Mr. Jack AD thought that he was much more likely to end up with a 130 mil option and decided to throw out the ridiculous option in order to make the (still ambitious) smaller version a seemingly valid option.

I'm 99% positive this is what is going to happen with the school helping the funding. Once Jellyderp opens gasm will come onto the site and let us fluff fans know how dumb we all are.

I'm 99% positive this is what is going to happen with the school helping the funding. Once Jellyderp opens gasm will come onto the site and let us fluff fans know how dumb we all are.

Yep. Been what I've been hearing for a while. That in the end, a new on-campus stadium will be announced and build but it will be significantly scaled back from the Blue Sky scenario put out earlier this year.

Similar to my arguments regarding the CSU football stadium, if CU ever decides to replace the Coors Events & Conference Center I believe that we could justify a much nicer facility with premium seats. But I would not support a plan that expanded seating to 18k.

Yep. Been what I've been hearing for a while. That in the end, a new on-campus stadium will be announced and build but it will be significantly scaled back from the Blue Sky scenario put out earlier this year.

Similar to my arguments regarding the CSU football stadium, if CU ever decides to replace the Coors Events & Conference Center I believe that we could justify a much nicer facility with premium seats. But I would not support a plan that expanded seating to 18k.

I could certainly see a scaled back version happening with the ability to expand if needed. The key is just getting the thing on-campus right now.

I could certainly see a scaled back version happening with the ability to expand if needed. The key is just getting the thing on-campus right now.

I think in these times that is the option that makes the most sense. SoSH has a voice right now that I don't think would be as loud in the late 1990's.

Edit: My support is also contingent on the finances making sense in terms of donation and being able to pay for it (including any bonds that may be necessary) out of conservative revenue forecasts and student fees.

Nothing wrong with scaling back the plan but still building the stadium on campus. I still want to see CSU build that stadium on campus because what CSU has right now is just sucky...who in their right mind would want to sit in traffic on a two lane road on to the stadium and out of the stadium?

I was looking to compare the CSU on campus stadium to SMU building Ford stadium on campus back in 2000. Prior to the on campus stadium games were played at the cotton bowl. Similar to CSU, the off campus stadium caused poor attendance from students (although part of the student fees are tickets to every football and basketball game), and kept alumni far away from campus. The new on campus stadium was built using private donations (mainly coming from Gerald J. Ford), and is 32,000 person capacity. The stadium was built with the idea of expansion. Only the lower bowl was built initially with part of the bowl as a grass field. If the lower bowl is enclosed the stadium capacity will increase to 45k. I believe this is supposed to be done prior to starting Big East play in 2013. The foundation of the stadium was built so that an upper bowl could eventually be added, and increase capacity to 68,000. I don’t think that will ever take place unless the Big XII-II-I+I-I calls, but the foundation is already prepared for the added load. The cost associated with building the stadium was $42 million ($56 million in today’s dollars as one rough estimate for cost). Info on the SMU stadium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_J._Ford_Stadium

The other costs that CSU has discussed (parking, roads, moving existing buildings) would raise the total cost to roughly $115 million. This to me seems like a more reasonable start than the swing for the fences $245 million project

I think CSU should follow this style of blueprint:

• Build on campus stadium equal to Hughes, but that can be expanded relatively easily should the demand become necessary
  • Show the plan to the locals that shows how the stadium will help business, along with reduce as much as possible the impact on traffic for the locals
  • Create an on campus atmosphere that would connect locals, alumini, and students:

[video=youtube;Dc5VeB6504U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc5VeB6504U[/video]

I would like to see the CSU on campus stadium succeed. I have no love for CSU, but I think it would be better for football across the front range if they have some success. If they build the stadium and fail, then it will make any large project by any other school exponentially more difficult as every nay sayer will point and say "It failed at CSU... SEE!"

Last edited:
Realistically CSU isn't going to get invited to join the Big XII or the PAC, they aren't going to see significant permanent increases in attendance, they aren't going to be in any way able to keep up competitively or financially despite the dreams and wishes of their core of ardent fans.

The best solution for CSU in the long term, and they don't want to hear this, is to build a new stadium on campus with a capacity of 18-20k and to become a very good FCS program instead of a bottom rung BCS level program.

A nice stadium of that size should be able to be build for a fraction of the cost of a 42,500 seat stadium. The cost of running a top quality FCS program would be significantly less than what they are spending now. Even with a decline in attendance and revenue the school would still be money ahead considering what they are subsidizing the current program. In terms of the campus experience a winning FCS program would be better than a lousy BCS program that gets ignored after the first week or two each year.

I might be in the minority, but I want CSU to build an on-campus stadium and get in a BCS conference. Since we are already forced to play them, we might as well hope they become a marquee opponent (I hope we become marquee as well). Plus I think Fort Collins is a great town and would love to go there for a game as opposed to going to Denver.

I might be in the minority, but I want CSU to build an on-campus stadium and get in a BCS conference. Since we are already forced to play them, we might as well hope they become a marquee opponent (I hope we become marquee as well). Plus I think Fort Collins is a great town and would love to go there for a game as opposed to going to Denver.

I'm with you. Just don't think it's going to happen any time remotely soon. You never know. It would take a new stadium that coincides with a Chris Peterson type coach to get the program/school/fanbase out of it's rut.

I'm with you. Just don't think it's going to happen any time remotely soon. You never know. It would take a new stadium that coincides with a Chris Peterson type coach to get the program/school/fanbase out of it's rut.

CSU is a long ways off from being seriously considered for a BCS conference, if it will ever be. I think the best CSU could hope for in the short term is a move to the Big East with AFA in 2015 when that conference likely goes to 16. That would have serious ramifications for its other programs and I am honestly not sure how I would feel about a move like that. However, if it gave CSU an annual payout of between $6-8 Million in television revenue, that might be hard to turn down.

^Nice post 76.

I, too, would like to see the CSU plan progress for the sole reason that it would signal that Colorado voters, donors and politicians are finally starting to take their college football seriously enough.

The boo birds have a better seat at the table than they deserve, IMO.

If the residents of FoCo and the Denver lawmakers and donors actually have just a fraction of the enthusiasm shared by Frank and Graham and their jellyderped minions, then imagine how much easier it would be to hold that over the heads of Benson, DiStephano and the BOR.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I hate the RMS. You have 20k Creatinies and gasms being juvenile idots in a game that doesn't mean ****.

This generation has grown up on the anonymous internet turning them into raging douche bags.
+1. we all joke about csu being aggy and whatnot, but at the end of the day i think we all know csu is a good school with students that are a lot like those at cu. gasm actually believes we are inherently dumb because of our allegiance, its pathetic.

I was looking to compare the CSU on campus stadium to SMU building Ford stadium on campus back in 2000. Prior to the on campus stadium games were played at the cotton bowl. Similar to CSU, the off campus stadium caused poor attendance from students (although part of the student fees are tickets to every football and basketball game), and kept alumni far away from campus. The new on campus stadium was built using private donations (mainly coming from Gerald J. Ford), and is 32,000 person capacity. The stadium was built with the idea of expansion. Only the lower bowl was built initially with part of the bowl as a grass field. If the lower bowl is enclosed the stadium capacity will increase to 45k. I believe this is supposed to be done prior to starting Big East play in 2013. The foundation of the stadium was built so that an upper bowl could eventually be added, and increase capacity to 68,000. I don’t think that will ever take place unless the Big XII-II-I+I-I calls, but the foundation is already prepared for the added load. The cost associated with building the stadium was $42 million ($56 million in today’s dollars as one rough estimate for cost). Info on the SMU stadium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_J._Ford_Stadium

The other costs that CSU has discussed (parking, roads, moving existing buildings) would raise the total cost to roughly $115 million. This to me seems like a more reasonable start than the swing for the fences $245 million project

I think CSU should follow this style of blueprint:

• Build on campus stadium equal to Hughes, but that can be expanded relatively easily should the demand become necessary
  • Show the plan to the locals that shows how the stadium will help business, along with reduce as much as possible the impact on traffic for the locals
  • Create an on campus atmosphere that would connect locals, alumini, and students:

I would like to see the CSU on campus stadium succeed. I have no love for CSU, but I think it would be better for football across the front range if they have some success. If they build the stadium and fail, then it will make any large project by any other school exponentially more difficult as every nay sayer will point and say "It failed at CSU... SEE!"

This would be similar to the plan that UNC-Charlotte is doing with their on-campus stadium. Granted it's on a smaller scale (although not by much), but they are starting out with a 15K-seat stadium that can eventually be expanded up to around 40K.

stadium01.jpg

Birds_Eye40k2.jpg

Last edited:
This would be similar to the plan that UNC-Charlotte is doing with their on-campus stadium. Granted it's on a smaller scale (although not by much), but they are starting out with a 15K-seat stadium that can eventually be expanded up to around 40K.

View attachment 10183

View attachment 10184

That would make a lot more sense for CSU. Build for their needs but allow the option to expand if justified. UNC- Charlotte is in some ways very similar to CSU. They don't have a big local fan base, they don't have a lot to offer bigger confernces to justify moving up.

In short they are stuck in the middle, do nothing and decline, do to much and have a crushing debt and a white elephant on their hands. This looks like a reasonable solution allowing them the flexibility to grow should the opportunity arise and meets their current needs now without locking them into a financial situation they don't want to be in.

Back