What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

National Championship Thread

Who will win the national championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He lowers his head to slip down to put his nose on the football through contact. If he'd kept his head up to drive though the tackle, it would have been helmet-to-helmet.
The rules they have aren't possible full speed. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Maybe they'll come up with a pause button in the future. I wish they would just call the obvious stuff, instead of trying to be perfect with it. The rest of it is just part of the game, imho. The biggest thing, you'll see more people get hurt when they aren't sure to go full speed than when they are sure.

I agree with your overall premise. The behavior of the player was safer. However, under the rule, helmet to helmet is no longer a penalty because the receiver is not considered defenseless. The only time it would be a targeting call would be if he leads with the crown of his helmet as it was correctly ruled.
Yeah. What's so frustrating to me is that the penalty has expanded to things that aren't even protecting anyone from concussions. Guys are getting kicked out of games for things that aren't even dangerous. Hell, that tackle by LSU toward the end on the punt returner when he threw the guy down by the neck was a hell of a lot more dangerous but that's not even a penalty, let alone an ejection (nor should it be).

The thing is, I'm very supportive of most all of these player safety rules. I don't like the chop blocks. I don't like the crack back blocks (Hines Ward style). I don't like headhunting. I don't like horse collars. I don't like knee shots on planted QBs and kickers. Conversely, I like that face masks are auto 15 yards instead of 5 or 15 these days. I'm actually in favor of kicking someone out of the game when anything like that is egregious instead of incidental.

But things like we saw tonight with a guy getting a penalty for blocking a guy trying to make a tackle (because the defender didn't see the blocker since he was focused on the ball carrier he was chasing down) and a defender getting tossed because he made a hit in a way that didn't endanger the ball carrier in any way.... that just bothers me. Maybe I'm getting old, but it stops feeling like football to me at a certain point with some of these calls. I think it's more than me being a traditionalist, too. Yeah, there's part of me that thinks "get your head in front and make that block" or "lead with your nose and put your hat on the ball" is how I was taught and that's just what football is. But I was also taught that an OL had to block by keeping his hands inside and elbows out or it was holding. I acknowledge that was stupid and that the rule change made the game better. I don't think the way targeting rules are written make the game better.

The rules have been in existence now for several years, with only slight modifications. The players in CFB today have played under these rules since high school. They have been coached over and over on proper tackling technique. If the threat of ejection isn't enough for them to eliminate dangerous plays, what will. That movement isn't accidental or unavoidable. It is deliberate and dangerous. It is completely unnecessary. If you can't make a proper tackle then maybe you shouldn't be playing in the game. I have no sympathy for that player or his team.

Yeah. What's so frustrating to me is that the penalty has expanded to things that aren't even protecting anyone from concussions. Guys are getting kicked out of games for things that aren't even dangerous. Hell, that tackle by LSU toward the end on the punt returner when he threw the guy down by the neck was a hell of a lot more dangerous but that's not even a penalty, let alone an ejection (nor should it be).

The thing is, I'm very supportive of most all of these player safety rules. I don't like the chop blocks. I don't like the crack back blocks (Hines Ward style). I don't like headhunting. I don't like horse collars. I don't like knee shots on planted QBs and kickers. Conversely, I like that face masks are auto 15 yards instead of 5 or 15 these days. I'm actually in favor of kicking someone out of the game when anything like that is egregious instead of incidental.

But things like we saw tonight with a guy getting a penalty for blocking a guy trying to make a tackle (because the defender didn't see the blocker since he was focused on the ball carrier he was chasing down) and a defender getting tossed because he made a hit in a way that didn't endanger the ball carrier in any way.... that just bothers me. Maybe I'm getting old, but it stops feeling like football to me at a certain point with some of these calls. I think it's more than me being a traditionalist, too. Yeah, there's part of me that thinks "get your head in front and make that block" or "lead with your nose and put your hat on the ball" is how I was taught and that's just what football is. But I was also taught that an OL had to block by keeping his hands inside and elbows out or it was holding. I acknowledge that was stupid and that the rule change made the game better. I don't think the way targeting rules are written make the game better.

Mad respect for Lawrence. When Clempson had the ball with about 4 minutes left, down 17, a LSU defender ear-holed him.

Lawrence got up and ran the hurry-up offense. No complaints. No acting. Just got the o lined up and ran the next play.

He had a bad night and I think he comes back next year on a mission.

You should do yourself a favor and go through the usa football heads up program for youth football. It isn't just about concussions. It is about player safety. As much as old guys would like to think that back in their day they were tougher, they were also smaller, weaker, and slower than today's players. The rules are there to keep people alive, not to eliminate risk.

Mad respect for Lawrence. When Clempson had the ball with about 4 minutes left, down 17, a LSU defender ear-holed him.

Lawrence got up and ran the hurry-up offense. No complaints. No acting. Just got the o lined up and ran the next play.

He had a bad night and I think he comes back next year on a mission.
I like Lawrence a lot. I wouldn't bet against another undefeated season and playoff. This year, Clemson just wasn't as physical in the trenches as they'd been. Kind of amazing to think they had 3 DLs drafted in the 1st round after last season and still reloaded as well as they did. Got to think that they have emerging talent coming up on the DL for 2020 with the way they recruit.

LSU K’Lavon, Burrow, the WRs and Hellaire improves their draft stock. Fulton and Delpit meh. Stingley was fantastic

Clemson QB, Etienne, Simmons moves up. The Clemson WRs are way over rated.

Great game

I like Lawrence a lot. I wouldn't bet against another undefeated season and playoff. This year, Clemson just wasn't as physical in the trenches as they'd been. Kind of amazing to think they had 3 DLs drafted in the 1st round after last season and still reloaded as well as they did. Got to think that they have emerging talent coming up on the DL for 2020 with the way they recruit.

Yeah, wouldn't surprize me either. There seems to be a trend the last few years. Teams that can stand up to bully-bama seem to do well. Takes great trench work to do that.

I want CU's o and d lines to look like that.

You should do yourself a favor and go through the usa football heads up program for youth football. It isn't just about concussions. It is about player safety. As much as old guys would like to think that back in their day they were tougher, they were also smaller, weaker, and slower than today's players. The rules are there to keep people alive, not to eliminate risk.
I said that the defensive player endangered himself by not seeing what he was hitting. That's how guys break their necks. I don't agree with kicking someone out of a game for doing something that is stupid for himself. I can live with a 15 yard penalty there, just not an ejection. Punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Not sure where the "tougher back in their day" stuff is coming from. I am not and would not try to make that point. Players are bigger, stronger, faster, more skilled and better technicians than they've ever been. By far. With that, though, I would say that the speed of the game sometimes makes certain types of incidental contact unavoidable when guys on both sides are playing aggressively, twisting, turning and diving. Sometimes sh!t happens and guys are going to hit their heads together or someone's going to hit someone really hard when the guy wasn't ready for it or someone's head is going to make first contact. I think some of that has to be let go or at the very least not result in ejections.

This is Joe Burrow's final season statline:

402-for-527 (76.3%), 5,671 passing yds, 60 TDs, 6 INTs, 4 rush TDs.

Unreal
Well, he knows how to find match-ups and execute some big time throws. He dropped a few of those in a bucket, right where they needed to be. Yes, he has some damn good players to get the ball to, but you still have to execute.

I said that the defensive player endangered himself by not seeing what he was hitting. That's how guys break their necks. I don't agree with kicking someone out of a game for doing something that is stupid for himself. I can live with a 15 yard penalty there, just not an ejection. Punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Not sure where the "tougher back in their day" stuff is coming from. I am not and would not try to make that point. Players are bigger, stronger, faster, more skilled and better technicians than they've ever been. By far. With that, though, I would say that the speed of the game sometimes makes certain types of incidental contact unavoidable when guys on both sides are playing aggressively, twisting, turning and diving. Sometimes sh!t happens and guys are going to hit their heads together or someone's going to hit someone really hard when the guy wasn't ready for it or someone's head is going to make first contact. I think some of that has to be let go or at the very least not result in ejections.
I got taught a few things starting at age 6, even before that, really. "See what you hit." " Lead with your screws. " "Can't square them, get your head across." Squaring them up was the hardest, as you were supposed to put your helmet right to their sternum, wrap and drive. You don't get many like that, outside of practice. That's what about 90% of the drills were, fundamental stuff. I don't care what rules get put in, you'll never take the danger out of it. Also, I don't think they hit enough these days, honestly. It does make a difference. I've seen guys get concussions the last few years that were hardly touched, there is a reason for that.

Miami great choice, but this LSU team is probably the best team I've seen. I mean Clemson looked pedestrian at times and that is a great team. Buffs have a long ways to go, such a long ways to go.
To be fair, all the teams in the Pac12 have a long way to go compared to LSU, Clemson, and TOSU.

yep, I missed my prediction. The Clemson WR's didn't help Lawrence. #47 being ejected didn't help their cause... Lawrence looked frustrated and started kinda slinging the ball wildly towards the end. Burrow is the "Real Deal" - he sees the field really really well and doesn't give-up on the play... Mrs BuffUp kept asking if the kid smiles ever?? very serious at all times - Good game though.

I wonder if USC ever regrets passing on Coach O after they fired Kiffin? Talk about 2 different trajectories - Coach O wins COY and NC while USC is ranked 12th in the PAC12 in recruiting.

Do we have another day before the annual "Georgia are loaded and will win it all next season" talk begins? :LOL:

This might be a controversial opinion, but there has to be discretion in using the targeting hammer. This wasn't CU vs UCLA that was going on here, it was the national championship game and the player was the heart and soul of the Clemson defense. This was not the time to be making an example out of a guy for playing hard.

Take that into account with the terrible OPI that took away a TD, and you have another example of Pac-12 referees having an impact on the game in a negative way. It is embarrassing, but not surprising.

I wonder if USC ever regrets passing on Coach O after they fired Kiffin? Talk about 2 different trajectories - Coach O wins COY and NC while USC is ranked 12th in the PAC12 in recruiting.

supposedly, O was never seriously considered by usc. mutual non-interest, i heard. i guess he lived out of a hotel the whole time he was there. this may be usc sour grapes talk, but who knows?

Burrow outplayed Lawrence. That’s the first time I can recall ever seeing Lawrence look flustered. He was missing open targets.

2ibs10.jpg

Back