What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA 2024 Tourney game thread - #5 seed WOMEN'S Bball - Sweet 16 game vs. #1 seed Iowa (Albany, NY; Sat., 3/30, 1:30 PM MT; ABC)

Watching Sherrod and Simpson play their last game in a Buffs uniform. Its been an emotional week.

im not crying youre crying GIF

Media after the team's TOUGH loss ends another GREAT season:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/30/womens-basketball-colorados-sweet-16-run-ends-with-loss-to-iowa

"

Colorado's Sweet 16 Run Ends With Loss To Iowa​

By: Curtis Snyder, Associate AD/Athletic Communications

ALBANY, N.Y.—
The JaylynSherrod era at Colorado came to an end in the Sweet 16 Saturday as the fifth-seeded and No. 17-ranked Buffaloes women's basketball team fell 89-68 to top-seeded and second-ranked Iowa at MVP Arena.

Sherrod, who led the Buffs to back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances for the first time in 21 seasons, finished her final game one point shy of a double-double with nine points and 10 assists, losing the final game of the season to Iowa for the second straight season.

"I would just like to start by saying how unbelievably proud of our team that I am for the season that we had," CU coach JR Payne said. "This group contributes not only to our basketball program but to our community. They're incredible young women. I'm so proud to be their coach, and proud of everything they've accomplished on and off the court."

Three Buffs scored in double figures, led by Aaronette Vonleh's 13 points followed by Frida Formann and Maddie Nolan, who each scored 12, both hitting three triples along the way.

Five other Buffs joined Sherrod and concluded their Colorado careers on Saturday. Nolan hit all three of her triples in the final four minutes of the game. Quay Miller chipped in five points and five rebounds. Tameiya Sadler had six points, two steals and two assists. Charlotte Whittaker had two points and three rebounds and Sophie Gerber saw action at the end of the game, her 10th game played this season.

Kindyll Wetta had seven points, five steals and four rebounds.

Iowa was led by NCAA all-time leading scorer Caitlin Clark, and while she scored 29 points, it was her 15 assists that proved harder to defend as she either hit or assisted on 28 of the Hawkeyes 35 field goals on the day. All five Iowa starters finished in double figures as Iowa shot 58.8% from the field, 40.9% from behind the arc and 76.9% from the free throw line.

"That's the part that I would say is the hard piece is that (Clark) got everybody else involved," Sherrod said. "It just speaks to the type of player she is. She's unselfish and she got everybody else going. I think they had four players in double figures -- five. That's just tough when everybody else is hitting, too."

The Buffs had an uncharacteristic day shooting the ball, hitting just 37.5% from the field, 27.6% from behind the arc and 42.9% from the free throw line, all well under season averages of 46.0%, 35.6% and 72.9%, respectively.

"Being told your whole life you're too small, you can't play on this level, you're not good enough, and just coming out here -- at the end of the day, yeah, we lost, but nobody can take away these past five years for me," Sherrod said. "Nobody can take away what I've done, what this team has done."

Colorado ends its season with a 24-10 record and reached as high as No. 3 in both the AP and Coaches polls before a brutal stretch of four straight ranked opponents, including three straight on the road, derailed the Buffs a bit to close out the regular season.

"As I told them, it was an incredible season that was not defined by this one game," Payne said. "I'm really proud of the season that we had and excited to see what some of these seniors are going to do and excited for where our program is headed."

CU defeated No. 1 LSU in the season opener and had top 10 wins against Stanford and USC, also defeating Utah when they were ranked No. 10 in the coaches poll and advanced to the Sweet 16 with an impressive 63-50 win over No. 15 Kansas State on the road last week.

After losing five of six that included the stretch against four ranked teams and saw the Buffs stumble on an emotional senior day, CU rebounded for an impressive postseason that included pushing No. 15 Oregon State to double overtime at the Pac-12 tournament before making a run to the Sweet 16.

"We can all look back at it now and say there were some things we could have done better," Sherrod said. "But at the end of the day, I'm proud of this team, proud of how we came out. There was no quit whatsoever in this ballclub."

KEY MOMENT
After CU cut the lead to three at 17-14 late in the first quarter, the Hawkeyes rattle off a 10-0 run spanning the end of the first and start of the second quarter to push the lead to 27-14 and never look back. Clark didn't score in that run but assisted on three of Iowa's four baskets.

UP NEXT
The Buffs season is now over. The 2024-25 version of the Colorado Buffaloes will debut as part of the Big 12 Conference in November.

NOTES
CU is now 3-5 all-time against Iowa… CU's bench outscored Iowa 17-6…Iowa outscored CU in the paint 46-36…CU outscored Iowa in fastbreak points 11-10…Colorado finishes the season 5-9 vs AP-ranked opponents…Saturday marked CU's first loss in the state of New York (prev. 3-0)...CU finishes the season 24-10, its third straight season with 20 or more wins…It is CU's first time winning 20 or more games in three consecutive seasons since 2000-01 to 2003-04…Formann finished with three 3s to set a new CU record with 260 (men & women)...She also tied the single-season record with 82 3-pointers this season (Bianca Smith, 2009-10)...Wetta tied her season high in steals (5)...Sherrod recorded her fifth career game with double-digit assists (10)...Sherrod finishes her career 14th in program history in scoring (1,483). Fifth in steals per game (2.0), fourth in free throws made (441), third in assists per game (4.6), second in assists (645), second in games played (140), first in career starts (133).

TOURNAMENT NOTES
Colorado falls to 21-16 all-time in the NCAA Tournament…The Buffs are 3-5 in the Sweet 16… Iowa's 89 points were the third most allowed by CU in an NCAA Tournament game…The Hawkeye's nine 3s tied the second-most 3-pointers allowed by CU (Oklahoma, Mar. 25, 2002)... CU's 29 3FGA were the second most to its 31 last year vs Iowa… CU's 72 FGA were the second-most in a tournament game… Wetta's five steals vs Iowa are tied for the third most by a Colorado player in an NCAA Tournament game… Sherrod's 10 assists set a CU NCAA Tournament record, beating her nine vs Iowa last season - she now owns the top three marks…Sherrod totaled 44 assists in her NCAA Tournament career (seven games), the second-most by a Buff behind Shelley Sheetz (52)...She averaged 6.3 assists per game in her tournament career, the most by any Buff (min. 2 games)...Wetta now has 16 steals in her seven career NCAA Tournament games, good for third-most by a Buff…Nolan finished the tournament with eight 3FGM, tied for 4th with Amy Palmer.

"
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/iowa/boxscore/17007

Postgame:
Quotes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2024/3/30/NCAA_postgame_-_Iowa.pdf

Notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2024/3/30/Sweet_16__CU_vs._Iowa__Notes.pdf

any of y'all read the wapo mulkey/lsu article that came out today? she threatened to sue before it even came out, but it looks pretty fair to me.

she's a really interesting and crazy mo-fo coach with a lot of ****ing anger and demons. pretty much like a lot of the great men's coaches through history, except with some apparent homophobia mixed in.

it is behind a paywall--so, sorry to you cheap ones-- but this is a good read. it also reinforces that baylor is as close to the establishment of the reign of the anti-christ on earth as we have seen.
Yeah it was hagiographic in places, mildly critical in others, but did drive home the point that she's an asshole and also emotionally rigid and brittle.

As @Alfred91 pointed out, she's a little similar to Bobby Knight.

re: like the men's coaches but with homophobia; I'd bet all the dollars I've ever touched that more than half of the great men's coaches in the 20th century were aggressively homophobic.

Last edited:
Not only is JR a great coach and human being, she's done some pretty good parenting. Touching to see Jax comforting his mom.

Apparently the television announcers said Jaylyn played at CU for 4 years when we all know it's been 5. I'm see fans on Twitter carrying on about how smart Jaylyn is with graduating in 3 years with a bachelor's and a master and in 4 years with her 2nd masters. She is incredible as a student and she did graduate in 3 years with a bachlor's and a master's but she will get her 2nd master's in 5 years.

Her mom, Tamika Williams, did a wonderful job of raising Jaylyn. She is a humble person and one of the best people to ever wear a CU uniform.

I wish they wouldn't make kids like Quay do these press conferences. She just wanted to be in the locker room crying with her teammates. She did not want to talk to the press. There was no reason to ask her how does it feel to be done when it was obvious how it felt to her to be done playing for CU

Yeah it was hagiographic in places, mildly critical in others, but did drive home the point that she's and an asshole and emotionally rigid and brittle.

As @Alfred91 pointed out, she's a little similar to Bobby Knight.

re: like the men's coaches but with homophobia; I'd bet all the dollars I've ever touched that more than half of the great men's coaches in the 20th century were aggressively homophobic.

It's common knowledge how homophobic she is. I understand what she was most upset about was the article talked about the estrangement from her father and sister.

Husband didn't stay married to her either.

I don't see how anyone could live with her. She is a horrible human being, a magaT, convid denier, person. I absolutely do not understand why parents allow their daughters to play for her.

It was fun to see people saying yesterday that she is a homophobe yet she dresses like Little Richard :LOL:

It's common knowledge how homophobic she is. I understand what she was most upset about was the article talked about the estrangement from her father and sister.

I don't see how anyone could live with her. She is a horrible human being, a magaT, convid denier, person. I absolutely do not understand why parents allow their daughters to play for her.

It was fun to see people saying yesterday that she is a homophobe yet she dresses like Little Richard :LOL:
I'm not a fan of negative recruiting, but I can't imagine that anyone recruiting against Mulkey wouldn't pull a few paragraphs and quotes out of that WaPo article and say, "Do you want to entrust the wellbeing of your 18 year old daughter to this woman?"

as i read that article, i kept thinking that-- why would you let your kid play for her? some of the quotes, the players went there knowing that being gay was going to put them out of step with her in a big way. and, to do it at baylor, which specifically preaches hate. she really was perfect for baylor. lsu is a public school. sure, it is in the deep south, but the idea that they would also support this kind of bigotry bothers me.

as i read that article, i kept thinking that-- why would you let your kid play for her? some of the quotes, the players went there knowing that being gay was going to put them out of step with her in a big way. and, to do it at baylor, which specifically preaches hate. she really was perfect for baylor. lsu is a public school. sure, it is in the deep south, but the idea that they would also support this kind of bigotry bothers me.
Money.

In a perfect world Oregon State would beat South Carolina. It’s 35-30 now.

South Carolina's rim pressure is overwhelming Oregon State. A missed shot is almost as good as an assist.

And dresses like a clown. Oops. Redundant.

Since Jaylyn Sherrod has got a lot of mentions for what she's done for the team and program I wanted to relate a conversation I had with her at a soccer game this fall. I was curious about how she was able to get an undergraduate degree in three years and then two masters in two years. Did she take a lot of AP courses in HS and this start CU as a sophomore in terms of credit? Nope. She told me that at CU it's easy to take courses online and thus she was taking seven or so classes each semester (not sure if she takes classes over the summer, but I assume so). I have no idea how she has manages her time!

Anyway, very impressive on a variety of fronts, including discipline. And her baskteball skills/judgement improved each season.

I heard her on a radio interview and she said she lives alone so she devotes her time to her dog and school work when she isn't doing basketball. She said she likes the challenge of the classes and her GPA shows she understands what she is doing in her classes.

Happy to see her declare for the WNBA yesterday. Go get some money. I don't know if she plans to go overseas but Pnut Tuitele has been quite successful in Finland. Sila Finau is also playing overseas. Jaylyn will do well if she decides to play overseas.

Back