What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Transfer Portal and the Buffs

I expect a minimum of 6 wins. If we can’t get there next year, that is really not good for our beloved Coach Tucker.
So if we win 6 but get blown out in 5 losses and don't look good that is progress? Cause we got to 6?

I would rather win 5 and fight til the last second in some close losses to good teams

My point is progress isn't only defined by wins/losses

Tucker expects to go bowling and so do I. Enough of this 5-7 !@#$ talk. Our QB play this last year wasn't great. I don't expect a substantial step back from that position next year.

If the offense is worse in 2019, we got issues.

So if we win 6 but get blown out in 5 losses and don't look good that is progress? Cause we got to 6?

I would rather win 5 and fight til the last second in some close losses to good teams

My point is progress isn't only defined by wins/losses
Six wins means a bowl.
A bowl means more practices.
A bowl means another actual game to get guys valuable real time reps.
A bowl also means that a three hour commercial for the University of Colorado football program and our superstar coach.

Wins matter. Wins are what define and create progress.

Are we really debating if 6 wins is better than 5 wins?
No 6 is more than 5, thus it is better.

But doesn't automatically mean a team improved, or a team that won 6 games is a better team that won 5 games.
Illinois won 6 games this year, are they clearly better than us? What about the Charlotte 49ers or the Georgia State Panthers?

See my point? Wins matter and are good. But don't always accurately reflect how good a team is or improvement. Not apples to apples

But doesn't automatically mean a team improved, or a team that won 6 games is a better team that won 5 games.
Illinois won 6 games this year, are they clearly better than us? What about the Charlotte 49ers or the Georgia State Panthers?

See my point? Wins matter and are good. But don't always accurately reflect how good a team is or improvement. Not apples to apples
Illinois had one of the best wins of the season against the team who was favored to win the Rose Bowl. Illinois definitely had a better season than Colorado.

Your equivocation using non P5 teams is dumb. Being a P5 team without a bowl appearance is a severe handicap to the progress of the program. Coach Tucker got the bump in recruiting that he wanted in spite of our lackluster 2019 season. I fear that he will not get the same credit from recruits next time around if we are again 5-7.

Wins matter. Being in a bowl begets future success. It’s crazy that you keep banging the drum that wins don’t matter. It is literally the most important thing.

When you play an FCS school, two no name schools and have 2-3 gimmies in the conference you are correct.

That's not the situation we face. We have one non-conf game we almost have no chance to win. A rivalry game and another respectable opponent. 2-1 would be good there, but 1-2 is possible. Then you have a 9 game conference schedule where the easiest games are tossups
Winning 4 of 9 conference games shouldn't be viewed as some daunting task.

I see your point and it is ridiculous.

Not apples to apples. I live in Phoenix and know ASU well

First of all, they had two conference wins against one of the worst teams in FBS, and an FCS team...and they struggled in both. They won a game at Michigan state that their offense scored once (michigan state also ended up not being very good). And in conference play they avoided Washington, and got Cal with a backup QB taking his first snap. They also beat WSU at the last second. So they were that close to going 5-7 EVEN WITH those two automatic non-conf wins.

You are correct, they got some good play out of Jayden Daniels at QB considering he was a true freshman. But he also had stretches where he struggled, and don't forget he was extremely highly rated.

Long story short I have zero doubt that if ASU had played our schedule they don't win 6 games. Maybe not even 5, and I believe this is backed up by the fact that we beat them on the road in a game where we had 6 starters out at one point

Can't look just at wins and losses when you are building. Have to look at who you play, how tough you play them, and if you got better from one year to the next. Wins/losses alone won't tell you that.

If we go 5-7 next year with wins against CSU, Fresno State, ASU, UCLA, Oregon and say at Stanford. And we lose 3-4 games by a score that we fight until the end against teams like A&M, Washington, USC, etc with a new QB with no experience that to me shows some progress

Then in 2021 I will expect results with no excuses
Personally, I was done with moral victories a long time ago. I’m not interested in how hard we play in losses.

Going into 2019, I thought UW was a no-hoper.
There are no no-hopers in college football*

*unless it’s Oklahoma in the college football tournament.

Over which six teams on the schedule does CU have a talent advantage?
Great Question. We have a lot coming back on Defense, talent and experience in the skill positions and for the first time in years I am going to out on a limb and say a better than average offensive line. Obvioulsy a lot depends on our QB but if we can rund the ball we wont have to rely on him too much.

CSU, Fresno for sure.
Arizona for Sure.

Also.....
Stanford: They lose a lot of a team we beat and are a bit of a mess, new QB etc.
Washington: Ditto including QB and Hall of Fame Coach. I don't care what you say Jimmy Lake is not going to be Chris Peterson in year one.
WSU: New QB and I think we can pound the rock on em. They haven't recruited a whole bunch better than us and I think MT gets that offense figured out
Utah: They lose a lot and there is going to be a hangover from the last two games.

UCLA: More talent than us but we get them at home
USC: Should have beaten them the last tow years. Not this year.
Oregon: I give us a punchers chance here.

6 games is a must!!

I’m fine being in the minority

You have to give Tucker time. It’s only fair to give him at least until the guys HE recruited are juniors to expect better in my opinion. But that’s just me

For the record, I think we are going to make a huge jump when we do. I don’t think we will go 5 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins 8. I wouldn’t be surprised if after 5 last year we won 5 or 6 this year, and then in 2021 jumped all the way to 9

I’m fine being in the minority

You have to give Tucker time. It’s only fair to give him at least until the guys HE recruited are juniors to expect better in my opinion. But that’s just me

For the record, I think we are going to make a huge jump when we do. I don’t think we will go 5 wins, 6 wins, 7 wins 8. I wouldn’t be surprised if after 5 last year we won 5 or 6 this year, and then in 2021 jumped all the way to 9
But the difference is that nobody is asking for major improvement in year two. We are expecting a bowl game. 6 wins. That is a baseline expectation for a P5 HC. This team could have been an 8 win team this year had they not seriously blown it against AFA, Arizona and USC. Expecting them to win 6 games next year is not a high bar.

Stenstrom and Lytle are the answer....at UNLV.
I think Lytle can be a QB who can keep things stable and working if we have our defense and running game going. Smart, calm, accurate. Stenstrom I see as more of a wildcard who can make some plays outside of the offense but seems more erratic. What that amounts to is that I see each as viable backups at QB but I feel we're going to need something more dynamic to overcome the fact that the rest of the roster isn't dominant enough to carry the QB position to a division title or a bowl appearance (as we often saw during the Barnett era).

Great Question. We have a lot coming back on Defense, talent and experience in the skill positions and for the first time in years I am going to out on a limb and say a better than average offensive line. Obvioulsy a lot depends on our QB but if we can rund the ball we wont have to rely on him too much.

CSU, Fresno for sure.
Arizona for Sure.

Also.....
Stanford: They lose a lot of a team we beat and are a bit of a mess, new QB etc.
Washington: Ditto including QB and Hall of Fame Coach. I don't care what you say Jimmy Lake is not going to be Chris Peterson in year one.
WSU: New QB and I think we can pound the rock on em. They haven't recruited a whole bunch better than us and I think MT gets that offense figured out
Utah: They lose a lot and there is going to be a hangover from the last two games.

UCLA: More talent than us but we get them at home
USC: Should have beaten them the last tow years. Not this year.
Oregon: I give us a punchers chance here.

6 games is a must!!

I'll never put Arizona in the sure category. They seem to have our number.
I do like Stanford away, WSU and Utah at home.
UCLA at home would be a good win but Kelly is turning things around.
Also, I like Arizona State at home. They are better, but CU has found a way to handle them. We seem to have Herm's number.

6 games is a must for the bowl practices and maybe for recruiting, however I think that CU will be more ready to pop in 2021. That being said, with two solid Senior ILB's, the newcomers, and the defenses resurgence over the last 5 games of the season, with good QB play and more wrinkles in the offense, I hope CU pops in 2020.

Talking about wanting to go 5-7 while being competitive in all losses, instead of 6-6 and blown out in some of the losses is like the people last year saying going 3-9 would be a success as long as the 3 wins cane against CSU, ****braska and USC.

In the hypothetical 6-6 with some blowout losses, it will likely be easy to pinpoint some needed staff changes while making a bowl. That makes the assistant jobs more attractive to outside candidates. Pretty damn good scenario IMO.

In the hypothetical 6-6 with some blowout losses, it will likely be easy to pinpoint some needed staff changes while making a bowl. That makes the assistant jobs more attractive to outside candidates. Pretty damn good scenario IMO.
6-6 and a 23 point loss to Oregon is preferable to 5-7 and a 3 point OT loss to Oregon but I digress. Completely agree about it forcing into some good staff changes while making a bowl.

Back