What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Transfer Portal and the Buffs

I don't know, Saban is quoted in the article saying just that, and I feel like he has been one of the staunchest opponents to the portal, but maybe it's just fluff.

There are a lot of coaches gunning for Saban which want to benefit from a system with lax oversight.

The oversight has to come from a level above the coaches because far too many coaches are benefiting from the current system. I know there are plenty of morally bankrupt administrators, but college coaches are the last group I would look toward for ways to regulate college football. A lot of them seem like sociopaths.

There are a lot of coaches gunning for Saban which want to benefit from a system with lax oversight.

The oversight has to come from a level above the coaches because far too many coaches are benefiting from the current system. I know there are plenty of morally bankrupt administrators, but college coaches are the last group I would look toward for ways to regulate college football. A lot of them seem like sociopaths.
Top programs winning games means big TV ratings.
Big TV ratings mean big money for the NCAA and for those top programs (and their conferences)

No we won't see any meaningful oversight which might result in making it harder for top players to end up at top programs.

Just with QBs we have seen LSU win a NC with a transfer QB, Oklahoma go to the playoff with Mayfield as a transfer. Both of those guys ended up as the #1 pick in the draft.

Saban is probably the only top coach who has a real problem with it and that only because his program has such a ridiculous abundance of talent that he gets a net negative compared to other programs and those top programs have a better chance to get him with the right transfers (see LSU and Joe Burrow.)

When it comes to the NCAA it is never about fairness, never about the "student-athlete," never about a level playing field. It is always, always about the $$$ and that isn't about fairness either.

I guess I’m looking at this all wrong, but I see the transfer rules as a way to bridge the talent gap between the elites and the also-rans. Make no mistake, CU is an also-ran. If we can use the current transfer rules to our benefit, we need to do so. If these rules hurt programs like Alabama and Ohio State - cry me a river.

Wish him the best, he gave the Buffs a lot of years, a great season.
I doubt he goes P12 again. If he signed with UNC and McCaffery, could he play against the Buffs this fall?

I doubt he goes P12 again. If he signed with UNC and McCaffery, could he play against the Buffs this fall?
While it is possible that he could play against the Buffs as a member of the UNC team, I find it highly unlikely. Why would he transfer to UNC? The head coach just got his QB son with two years of eligibility remaining to transfer from Michigan to UNC. Everyone knows that Ed is going to do everything in his power to get Dylan into the NFL. That looks like a guaranteed back up situation for Noyer. My guess is that UNC has no interest in Noyer.

While it is possible that he could play against the Buffs as a member of the UNC team, I find it highly unlikely. Why would he transfer to UNC? The head coach just got his QB son with two years of eligibility remaining to transfer from Michigan to UNC. Everyone knows that Ed is going to do everything in his power to get Dylan into the NFL. That looks like a guaranteed back up situation for Noyer. My guess is that UNC has no interest in Noyer.
All this an UNC sucks they are a very bad football team right now.

McCafrey may turn that around but Sam doesn't have time to wait.

He is also a guy who has won games at the P5 level and it wasn't just his teammates carrying him to those wins..

He isn't great at anything but he has P5 size, a P5 arm, experience, and is a smart guy. Wouldn't be a shock if he ends up starting for a lower half P5 program and if not he will have a lot of G5 options.

Why would he want to sit the bench again. McCaffrey is a waaaaay better QB.

Noyer is far better than NUs #2 and they are desperate.

I also think he's better than their #1 if he's healthy.
I hate UNL as much as the next guy, but this might be stretching it a bit.

Excuse Me What GIF by One Chicago

All this an UNC sucks they are a very bad football team right now.

McCafrey may turn that around but Sam doesn't have time to wait.

He is also a guy who has won games at the P5 level and it wasn't just his teammates carrying him to those wins..

He isn't great at anything but he has P5 size, a P5 arm, experience, and is a smart guy. Wouldn't be a shock if he ends up starting for a lower half P5 program and if not he will have a lot of G5 options.
The problem is at any decent program, he is late to the game with the transfer timing. Tough for anyone to learn and excel in a new offense given less than 2 months before August camp.

I hate UNL as much as the next guy, but this might be stretching it a bit.

Excuse Me What GIF by One Chicago
Noyer was 2nd team All PAC 12 in his first game action. Certainly he tailed off, but he also was requiring Shoulder Surgery.
Martinez has been one of the worst QBs in D1 for 3 years.
Their backup has never played in a game and is said to be all runner, no passer.
I flip that GIF back at ya!

The problem is at any decent program, he is late to the game with the transfer timing. Tough for anyone to learn and excel in a new offense given less than 2 months before August camp.
This is true.

What he would need is a program that has something happen that shifts the dynamic for them at the position. Something along the lines of the expected starter getting hurt or getting in trouble and the coaches deciding they don't want to bet their jobs on a RS fr. or soph who has never taken a snap outside of garbage time.

Sam is not the kind of talent who is going to carry a team over but despite what some fans here want to think he is an intelligent guy who is good enough to be the guy on a quality P5 team in a solid system with talent around him.

Noyer was 2nd team All PAC 12 in his first game action. Certainly he tailed off, but he also was requiring Shoulder Surgery.
Martinez has been one of the worst QBs in D1 for 3 years.
Their backup has never played in a game and is said to be all runner, no passer.
I flip that GIF back at ya!
Martinez has played for 3 years and still has yet to prove that he can consistently hit even a simple mid-range pass against P5 coverage in an obvious passing situation. Most of his completions come off the threat of the run to a wide open receiver. Nebraska doesn't get a lot of that against the teams they are playing in the B1G.

I'm guessing CSU needs a QB. They usually do.
It's on their list,

Along with almost everything else needed to have a decent team.

They are getting all excited because a couple of guys from BC transferred in to follow their coach including a QB.

It is exceptionally unlikely that Noyer takes this path if he expected to win the QB1 job.
KD was correct, he was a depth piece. In today's world of, If I can't get what I want, I am taking my ball and going home.... players leave. In this case, he hit the portal twice. He was a decent story for approx. 2 1/2 games during his career.

It is exceptionally unlikely that Noyer takes this path if he expected to win the QB1 job.
Truth. You just know that he and KD had "a talk" and Noyer got the word that they are going with the youngsters. KD was quoted as saying it is an "amicable" separation. I wish Noyer well, and the Buffs would not have had a .666 winning percentage last season had he transferred out before then, as was his original intention.

KD was correct, he was a depth piece. In today's world of, If I can't get what I want, I am taking my ball and going home.... players leave. In this case, he hit the portal twice. He was a decent story for approx. 2 1/2 games during his career.
Sometimes you do find a greener pasture but most of the time you find out your just another human and not a super star. The unicorn position is a fickle one.

I guess I’m looking at this all wrong, but I see the transfer rules as a way to bridge the talent gap between the elites and the also-rans. Make no mistake, CU is an also-ran. If we can use the current transfer rules to our benefit, we need to do so. If these rules hurt programs like Alabama and Ohio State - cry me a river.
I can't agree with this more. Think back...KSU sucked for what seemed to be a millennia that all of sudden became competitive. I laughed as so did everyone else that KSU went the JUCO route....not much difference between then and the portal today other than eligibility.
Tell the truth...if one of the 2 RBs that Alabama lost to the portal recently...you wouldn't want to see one in the Black & Gold?
2 things are happening right now: The SEC just released that inter-conference transfers don't have to sit out a year. Second portal entrants are looking at numerous options available...a big fish in a small pond ie..Lamb comes to mind.
Lastly if you can't cut the mustard in the SEC you're going to look at programs that fit your aspirations...
IE...Shrout moving West closer to home and still playing in a power 5 what does he have to lose? Nothing.

It's going to be interesting to see how much the actual outcome of this season differs from what the preseason mags have predicted due to late additions to teams via the transfer market. I don't buy NFL preview magazines for that reason and this could be the last year I buy such preview magazines.

Back