What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Never seen Brian Howell this frustrated

Proven offensive or defensive system in modern college football? Nope
Proven CEO type head coach at any level? Nope
Proven very high level recruiter? Nope

Rick George was just being hopeful with no track record to point at, other than KD would stick around even if successful.
Rick George panicked when Mel Tucker polluted his sales pitch by publicly pointing out that Rick was selling dreams not reality.

Rick George sucks.

I was thinking about this earlier - and obviously recent history is skewing memories on this - but did ANYONE outside of RG/LC/KD think this was a good hire? And I don’t mean the people who argued “I could see how this works out…” because that was a somewhat legit thought process. I remember national media mocking it and I mostly remember the news leaking out minutes before a CU basketball game and completely killing the crowd and deflating the whole arena. And that’s not hyperbole either as the guy behind me who is at every game said “**** this place” when he heard the news and got up and left.
I feel like they are just totally out of touch with the fans. Mike Bohn really got the fan element and the branding/marketing. Was he perfect, no. But currently it feels to me that they don’t care what the fans think. Not sure there are any successful college football programs out there with that mentality. If that’s not their mentality and they do care about the fans, it sure doesn’t show. It’s Sunday. We’re 0-4. And most every other program in college football would have announced a change, right?

I feel like they are just totally out of touch with the fans. Mike Bohn really got the fan element and the branding/marketing. Was he perfect, no. But currently it feels to me that they don’t care what the fans think. Not sure there are any successful college football programs out there with that mentality. If that’s not their mentality and they do care about the fans, it sure doesn’t show. It’s Sunday. We’re 0-4. And most every other program in college football would have announced a change, right?
I'm going to start to get more pissed off if I don't see anything happening this time next week.

I'm going to start to get more pissed off if I don't see anything happening this time next week.
^^^^^ This ^^^^^. I've been most indifferent so far this year but now I feel the anger rising in a big big way. Howell has finally realized that all those years of playing nice and ass kissing has gotten him to where he is in life right now.

Adam: So we are headed to Arizona next week. Are you going to make it?
Brian: I don't know... I wish next week was the bye. And a bye the week after that and again after that.

He actually cares more than I do at this point.

He gets paid to care.

Proven offensive or defensive system in modern college football? Nope
Proven CEO type head coach at any level? Nope
Proven very high level recruiter? Nope

Rick George was just being hopeful with no track record to point at, other than KD would stick around even if successful.
Rick George panicked when Mel Tucker polluted his sales pitch by publicly pointing out that Rick was selling dreams not reality.

Rick George sucks.
Owns a house nearby? Yes!

KD is terrible and completely responsible for this s**t show of a football program, but the comment I was responding to was about CU’s place in the realignment landscape and that responsibility falls squarely on the guy who hired a coach that 99.9% of America knew was a bad hire. I don’t blame KD for accepting the job (just everything he’s done since), I blame the guy who offered that job to him in the first place.
I blame RG for offering him the job but even more so I blame our s***head Chancellor and the CU administration who are perfectly happy with having an athletic program that outside of getting very lucky with a couple coaches who coach well above their resources (Tad and Mark Wetmore) is absolute sewage.

I wish that RG had the backbone to step out of his office and call Distefano for the scumsucker that he is but until that administrative support is fixed it won't matter who our coach is. Get a lousy one we are too cheap to fix it, get a good one and the money in football is good enough that he will be gone.

KD had somebody hand him a lottery ticket, I wouldn't turn it down either.

If the school is going to continue to participate in major college sports (notice I didn't say compete because for the most part we don't) there has to be a change at the higher levels of the administration.

Make me your OC. I have a full playbook from 6th grade football and several years of flag football. It contains the best of power, spread, and air raid you will find.
Have you checked your closet for that playbook? I’m pretty sure Sanford is using it.

I was thinking about this earlier - and obviously recent history is skewing memories on this - but did ANYONE outside of RG/LC/KD think this was a good hire? And I don’t mean the people who argued “I could see how this works out…” because that was a somewhat legit thought process. I remember national media mocking it and I mostly remember the news leaking out minutes before a CU basketball game and completely killing the crowd and deflating the whole arena. And that’s not hyperbole either as the guy behind me who is at every game said “**** this place” when he heard the news and got up and left.
I remember listening to a Portland sports radio show and they did think KD at $3MM per year was better than Mel at $8MM (or whatever his contract is) but that’s not exactly high praise. They did think he was a competent hire and were clearly wrong.

I remember listening to a Portland sports radio show and they did think KD at $3MM per year was better than Mel at $8MM (or whatever his contract is) but that’s not exactly high praise. They did think he was a competent hire and were clearly wrong.
yea, the hope with Karl is that he'd be a low ceiling high floor hire. Annnd instead he's an utter disaster. RG was aiming for boring and mediocre and he couldn't even hit that target.

I think at the time many believed KD was an uninspiring choice that should be a reasonably high floor hire. The thought was that he would likely provide several 5-7, 6-6 and 7-5 seasons. He wouldn’t win any championships, but he’d be a reasonably good placeholder until we could get to a spot where we could get somebody better. That high floor turned out to be a lot lower than anybody could have predicted. He was, at one time, a hot name in college football circles.

When? During the Clinton Administration? Everybody since then, save Vandy, knew to steer clear. Fire RG.
Yeah. That’s about right. Sometime around when he and Skippy went off to UW. He had a stretch of 4-5 years where he was thought of as some kind of offensive genius. Obviously that was wrong, and it’s easy to look back and see that prevailing opinion was completely misguided. I’m not arguing that the decision to hire KD was a good one. Just saying that he was considered a relatively safe hire with previous HC experience who could likely be a placeholder. I don’t think anybody thought he’d be great, just merely adequate. He hasn’t even been adequate. Far from it, in fact.

Yeah. That’s about right. Sometime around when he and Skippy went off to UW. He had a stretch of 4-5 years where he was thought of as some kind of offensive genius. Obviously that was wrong, and it’s easy to look back and see that prevailing opinion was completely misguided. I’m not arguing that the decision to hire KD was a good one. Just saying that he was considered a relatively safe hire with previous HC experience who could likely be a placeholder. I don’t think anybody thought he’d be great, just merely adequate. He hasn’t even been adequate. Far from it, in fact.
the part of this i cannot understand is why extend him and pay him and his staff so much. it wasn't like anyone else was knocking the door down trying to steal kd away from us. why lock CU into such an expensive deal when there was little to no sign of things about to go well.

they extend dorrell, let him go get "his" coaches and pay the whole lot of them a **** ton of guaranteed money, a lot of it above market.

that's the rg sin i cann't process.

I blame RG for offering him the job but even more so I blame our s***head Chancellor and the CU administration who are perfectly happy with having an athletic program that outside of getting very lucky with a couple coaches who coach well above their resources (Tad and Mark Wetmore) is absolute sewage.

I wish that RG had the backbone to step out of his office and call Distefano for the scumsucker that he is but until that administrative support is fixed it won't matter who our coach is. Get a lousy one we are too cheap to fix it, get a good one and the money in football is good enough that he will be gone.

KD had somebody hand him a lottery ticket, I wouldn't turn it down either.

If the school is going to continue to participate in major college sports (notice I didn't say compete because for the most part we don't) there has to be a change at the higher levels of the administration.
Its not just the fact that he has the job. Its that and the contract. If Karl got an incentive laden deal that had his total comp at what Tucker was making, we're not having this conversation.

There’s some conflicting info on that 1893 Tennessee team. Most info says they lost their first 4 games but the UT athletics website says they went 3-3. Seems UT believes they beat UNC 60-0 but other sites say they lost that game by the same score. @DBT do you remember what really happened?
Man, I hope they lost that ****, because I want to be able to say, “hey, we’re bad, but at least we aren’t 1893 Tennessee!”

Back