What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

Positive changes = Rick George is stepping down because Jeremy Bloom is doing his job for him?
Someone actually asked if Bloom's original post was directed at RG and he responded saying he things RG is one of the best ADs in the country. Not that I'd expect Bloom to publicly bad mouth RG but it was interesting he responded directly to a random Twitter reply to say that.

Someone actually asked if Bloom's original post was directed at RG and he responded saying he things RG is one of the best ADs in the country. Not that I'd expect Bloom to publicly bad mouth RG but it was interesting he responded directly to a random Twitter reply to say that.
Jeremy has said the same thing to me on Twitter as well. RG has been involved with NIL stuff for a few years now, so I assume Bloom has had a lot of conversations about it with him. We’ll see

Now that the logistics are somewhat predictably confirmed, are there any businesses in Boulder that are interested in NIL-ing any CU football players or any other CU athletes? This would be a great time to step up. And while it might be courteous to give the AD an FYI as to what you are doing, I'd strongly suggest NOT DOING that until you are done, or at least 3/4 done, with your arrangement with the athlete. Right now, you don't have to. And you don't want the all thumbs, Bull in China Shop Ath Dept mucking around in your business arrangement. As always JMHO.....

I hope guys like Evan Battey are able to capitalize on this. If there’s an athlete at CU who is more instantly recognizable, I don’t know who it is. If I was a business owner looking for an avenue to participate, Battey would be at the top of my list.

Just waiting for college jerseys to start looking like NASCAR jackets.
I gather you don't watch BASS...
I am pleased with the ability to get player specific jerseys, like many I use to go to the end of the year sale at CU to pick up a jersey or two worn by my favorite players. Problem was they didn't have the name sewn on them so only I knew I bought Bobby Purify's jersey, this is a good start and one where you know the athlete is going to get a cut albeit I don't believe the cut will be that great.

I gather you don't watch BASS...
I am pleased with the ability to get player specific jerseys, like many I use to go to the end of the year sale at CU to pick up a jersey or two worn by my favorite players. Problem was they didn't have the name sewn on them so only I knew I bought Bobby Purify's jersey, this is a good start and one where you know the athlete is going to get a cut albeit I don't believe the cut will be that great.
What is BASS?

It's where we did our NIL this year and will do a few more because we mfg baits specific for bass fishing.
We don't participate on the high school level which here in TX. is huge.
I should elaborate college bass fishing is not sanctioned by the NCAA currently. As a company we realized that status could change at any time considering the geography/market of the sport.

Last edited:
I'm retiring in a year but if I wasn't I can tell you my marketing budget would at the minimum triple this year based on NIL alone.
First thing I'd do is a joint NIL sponsorship with a product used with ours furthering both brands.
The marketing possibilities are endless and we're going to see some really creative ideas in the future.
I believe the NIL will not be limited to major universities as we've experienced to date.

I'd suggest to anyone looking at participating in NIL get with a tax accountant depending on your personal/business purpose.
In our industry there is a constant because we produce a product that the Fed attaches a 10% gross excise tax, something as a business owner you are aware of. The original NIL for us in dollar value will be discharged as a "cost of doing business/advertising, the residual sales become earned income that's taxed.
I have a suspicion that a lot of the athletes seeking and receiving NIL agreements haven't researched the tax implications...just a hunch.

SIAP but cuatthegame is running a small NIL campaign: https://www.cuatthegame.com/2022/cu-at-the-game-nil-campaign/
I am launching a GoFundMe campaign to raise funds for Buff players. The idea is that, for every $500 raised, I will ask a player for an interview, to be posted as a CU at the Game Podcast.

What’s in it for …

Student-athletes … Players receive $500 in exchange for an interview and for agreeing to promote CU at the Game through their social media. I’m not sure how the promotion will work out (if at all), but the player will receive $500 for talking about themselves for a half hour – not a bad deal.

CU at the Game … In theory, more traffic for the website. The podcast is free and doesn’t have a sponsor (though if you know someone, let me know. It could be a good fit for the business of the right Buff fan). There is advertising on the website, so there are some fractions of pennies coming in for the additional traffic, but it’s nominal. I am not skimming anything off of your donations for “administrative fees” – every dollar you contribute will go to CU student-athletes. If you take into account the time spent setting this up, the time setting up interviews, the time prepping for and conducting the interviews, and the editing and posting of the podcasts, I’d be making more money if I was threading shoelaces in Indonesia for Oregon … er, I mean, Nike. CU at the Game is, as it has been for decades, a labor of love.

You … For donations of $500 or more, you can choose the athlete to be interviewed (not limited to football), and can sit in on the interview (which will be conducted via Zoom meetings). For donations of $250 or more, you can suggest the interviewee and questions you would like to be asked. All donations are welcome … all it takes is 20 donations of $25 to set up the next interview.

So, what do you say, Buff Nation? This is not Texas boosters paying $50,000 to each offensive lineman. This is not Texas A&M buying the highest-rated recruiting Class in history. This is not whatever Oregon is paying Christian Gonzalez.

This is a small, grass-roots campaign for Buff fans to say “thank you” to its student-athletes – to let them know we are out here and that we care about the future of CU athletics.

Big money flowing directly to players in the open. CU is going to struggle to keep up. What a great two decades to spend at the bottom of the power 5.

Underneath the splashy headlines and mysterious deals is a budding economy on the recruiting trail where collectives across the sport such as Spyre are making players aware of their value and, once they arrive on campus, following through with money that reflects it.

“We’ve had so many different area businesses step up to be able to help us with this kind of package. Whether it’s apartments, condos, car dealerships, free places to eat. It can be as simple as tires. Car washes. We’ve done all kinds of stuff,” Clawson said.

Added Baddour: “All in all, it’s six-figure packages.”

Some are payable for multiple years, but packages like the ones Spyre helps arrange for players are routinely for more than six figures. In one recruiting class, that adds up.

“There will be an NIL collective for every Power 5 school by the end of 2022,” said Blake Lawrence, CEO of Opendorse, which helps businesses, collectives and athletes team up for endorsement deals. “And the top collectives will spend $10 million per year on NIL.”

Edit: these guys (Tennessee collective owners) really killed it. Great read. They are going to print money for players (and themselves) for as long as they want.

Long term, the grift is going to be astounding.

This isn't NIL related specifically, but it does portend a more progressive NCAA going forward. From Wilner's Weekly Pac-12 Hotline email:

The NCAA is "reconsidering (its) approach to cannabis testing ... Marijuana is not considered a performance-enhancing substance." Whoa, this really is a new era.
This needs to be done.

To relate it to NIL, we're talking about an industry where Colorado is cash rich & could find some great sponsorship opportunities.

Why not work on a partnership with a company like Charlotte's Web & its CBD Clinic brand - a very reputable topical analgesic (professional market competitor to Icy Hot, Biofreeze, etc.).

Back