What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

Most schools have had extensive prep sessions on NIL for their athletes. Hell, It’s even a part of PSU’s schedule for recruits taking official visits.
The best programs likely have an entire department set up just for NIL or will shortly. Like recruiting departments, staffers working with companies and athletes on all this, facilitating all opportunities. Wonder what CU has done.

The best programs likely have an entire department set up just for NIL or will shortly. Like recruiting departments, staffers working with companies and athletes on all this, facilitating all opportunities. Wonder what CU has done.
Way to go CU.

CUBUFFS.com article that hawg1 provided mentioned that the Colorado NIL law was fast tracked from 2023 to today.

Wonder if those CSU athletes will be doing Runza's for Colorado.

We are in for a bumpy ride. I could see this being an advantage for some schools with huge following in small markets (****braska is a good example). A star player in Lincoln is gonna get PAID.
They might as well overpay their players if they're overpaying their coach.

The beautiful thing about this is I am allowed to advise and certified NFL agents are not
Well Done Bravo GIF by Friends

It’s like the Oklahoma land rush out there right now.
Gotta think some schools have been planning for this for a while, and others ignored it. The ones who planned for it should, in theory, be better equipped to navigate the changing landscape.

It’s like the Oklahoma land rush out there right now.
Gotta think some schools have been planning for this for a while, and others ignored it. The ones who planned for it should, in theory, be better equipped to navigate the changing landscape.
who will be the first athlete to rush to sign a deal to be a "Barstool Athlete" only to find that the deal prohibits other larger deals down the line. Hope that barstool shirt was worth it. I think where the schools can really help the athletes, is in advising them on the bigger picture of all of this.

It’s great for the players. Not sure if it’s going to be good for the sport when a mega company like Nike can throw $100k/year at every scholarship player at one school, though.
I agree. It might change college sports. But it’s a risk we should all be willing to take.

I agree. It might change college sports. But it’s a risk we should all be willing to take.
I think players profiting off their own individual likeness is great. I’m skeptical of a company like Nike essentially giving Oregon coaches the ability to recruit players by saying, “we will guarantee you $X/year if you sign with us”, simply because Phil Knight is an Oregon fan.

I think players profiting off their own individual likeness is great. I’m skeptical of a company like Nike essentially giving Oregon coaches the ability to recruit players by saying, “we will guarantee you $X/year if you sign with us”, simply because Phil Knight is an Oregon fan.
I’m pretty sure they’re already doing this.

That sounds like pay to play to me. That’s expressly prohibited.

Ahh it may sound like pay to play, but it’s really just a local company sponsoring Oregon athletes
They obviously wouldn’t tell recruits that before they get here as i think that’s still off limits. They’d just set the precedent by doing it for every class. So the assumption would be there without having to say anything imo

Nike/Oregon can only take that so far. There’s 100’s of Nike schools out there who might not take very kindly to that type of arrangement. I suspect Nike will take advantage of this with a few select top end athletes, but will tread very carefully.

Nike/Oregon can only take that so far. There’s 100’s of Nike schools out there who might not take very kindly to that type of arrangement. I suspect Nike will take advantage of this with a few select top end athletes, but will tread very carefully.
“I’m sure you are right. Nike’s chief concern is other people’s feelings.”
Sincerely,
Person making Nike shoes in a faraway land for 85 cents a day

Back