What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

Seems like a good time to be a lawyer/tax accountant/financial adviser for these kids and help them handle their finances. Lots of money will be coming in.

Agents. It could essentially be the Wild West until they regulate it some like they do in the pros.

I just hope families are heavily involved in this stuff.

In some cases I think it's better if the family is NOT involved. But they will definitely need some guidance on this. It also allows agents to get a foot in the door early with some guys if they can now represent them during their college days and don't have to wait until they declare for the draft.

We are in for a bumpy ride. I could see this being an advantage for some schools with huge following in small markets (Nebraska is a good example). A star player in Lincoln is gonna get PAID.

The ripple effect here will be fascinating to see. How is it gonna affect team chemistry and dynamics if the top 10-20% of the team makes money from playing and some do not? How is it gonna affect recruiting as you can bet your ass that some schools will use this as a pitch "If you go and come to us we have a NLI partner lined up for you who's gonna pay you 30 grand a year for some Instagram posts and 5 hours a month"? Guys will also be able to leverage their follower counts on Instagram.

Yes. I also wonder how this is going to impact non-revenue sports. Will somebody like Simone Biles or Michael Phelps stay in college and raise the profile of collegiate Olympic sports? Could be. The different ways this could all go are fascinating.

Make no mistake, though: collegiate athletics has been inexorably changed forever. Money is now a primary concern across all platforms.
I’m hoping something could be done to hold back a portion of the earnings as an incentive to graduate.

We are in for a bumpy ride. I could see this being an advantage for some schools with huge following in small markets (****braska is a good example). A star player in Lincoln is gonna get PAID.

Yup. Local car dealership runs some ads with them and has him in for some autographs or a meet and greet 2-3 times a year, weekly radio appearance and some other local business (take your pick) at 25 grand each and they pull in 75k a year as college students.

The ripple effect here will be fascinating to see. How is it gonna affect team chemistry and dynamics if the top 10-20% of the team makes money from playing and some do not? How is it gonna affect recruiting as you can bet your ass that some schools will use this as a pitch "If you go and come to us we have a NLI partner lined up for you who's gonna pay you 30 grand a year for some Instagram posts and 5 hours a month"? Guys will also be able to leverage their follower counts on Instagram.
If you think $30K is a lot, you should see what some of the hottest college girls in country get for their sponsored insta posts.

Yup. Local car dealership runs some ads with them and has him in for some autographs or a meet and greet 2-3 times a year, weekly radio appearance and some other local business (take your pick) at 25 grand each and they pull in 75k a year as college students.
The same thing could happen here. McCadddon Cadillac supplies the vehicles to Ralphies Handlers. I could see them working out a deal with the AD. Difference is that in a place like Lincoln, they would probably pay better and the potential pool of “sponsors”’is a lot deeper. ****, the girls bowling team at Nebraska is probably going to be making some coin now.

Yes. I also wonder how this is going to impact non-revenue sports. Will somebody like Simone Biles or Michael Phelps stay in college and raise the profile of collegiate Olympic sports? Could be. The different ways this could all go are fascinating.

Make no mistake, though: collegiate athletics has been inexorably changed forever. Money is now a primary concern across all platforms.
I’m hoping something could be done to hold back a portion of the earnings as an incentive to graduate.

Yeah, if they can stay in college and essentially sign advertisement deals there isn't that much incentive to go pro as advertising is where the money is for those sports, even at the pro level.

I could even see this making some revenue sports guys stay another year. Say you're on the draft bubble as you had a poor season or some injuries or you could simply do with another year of development at the college level, if you don't have that super financial incentive and need to make money as soon as you can as you can live comfortably off the money you make (say 50k, which is the average American wage), wouldn't it make sense to maybe stay another year and try to increase your draft stock to a level where it's guaranteed life changing money?

If you think $30K is a lot, you should see what some of the hottest college girls in country get for their sponsored insta posts.

I know that influencers with big follower counts can make big money and that some of them easily make 30k per sponsored IG post. I just pulled a number out of my ass, but for your average college kid drawing 30k per year is a lot of money.

I know that influencers with big follower counts can make big money and that some of them easily make 30k per sponsored IG post. I just pulled a number out of my ass, but for your average college kid drawing 30k per year is a lot of money.
It is a lot to some. I think the money will be huge, especially since digital ad rates for folks with 6-figure+ follower counts are ridiculous.

The same thing could happen here. McCadddon Cadillac supplies the vehicles to Ralphies Handlers. I could see them working out a deal with the AD. Difference is that in a place like Lincoln, they would probably pay better and the potential pool of “sponsors”’is a lot deeper. ****, the girls bowling team at ****braska is probably going to be making some coin now.

Why go through the AD? And as mentioned in one of the tweets I linked above, the sponsorship budgets for businesses is limited and some just may divert their sponsorship money away from the AD to the players so they may actually end up being competitors.

Last edited:
Why go through the AD? And as mentioned in one of the tweets I linked above, the sponsorship budgets for business is limited and some just may divert their sponsorship money away from the AD to the players so they may actually end up being competitors.
Good point. Furk. This is going to be messy.

It is a lot to some. I think the money will be huge, especially since digital ad rates for folks with 6-figure+ follower counts are ridiculous.

I recently fell into the Mr Beast rabbit hole on YouTube. He's a dude from NC who essentially follows the Netflix model as he just burns through cash and invests every single cent he makes into his videos in order to grow his follower count. Some videos he buys like 5 entire stores (including a Walmart) and gives everything away to charity or rebrands a local fast food store for a day and gives the food away plus, iPads iPhones and 20-30k in cash to some "customers". The dude now has 65m subscribers on his main channel, employs a bunch of friends who feature in the videos and gets like at least 50-60 million views per video.

Going to be fascinating to see how schools in small markets fare against schools in larger markets.

Going to be fascinating to see how schools in small markets fare against schools in larger markets.
I actually think this could really help small market teams. Boise, Nebraska, BYU, Baylor, Kansas, Iowa all come to mind as schools who could really capitalize on this.

I recently fell into the Mr Beast rabbit hole on YouTube. He's a dude from NC who essentially follows the Netflix model as he just burns through cash and invests every single cent he makes into his videos in order to grow his follower count. Some videos he buys like 5 entire stores (including a Walmart) and gives everything away to charity or rebrands a local fast food store for a day and gives the food away plus, iPads iPhones and 20-30k in cash to some "customers". The dude now has 65m subscribers on his main channel, employs a bunch of friends who feature in the videos and gets like at least 50-60 million views per video.
Yeah, he’s probably making low eight/high seven figures from that per annum.

Why go through the AD? And as mentioned in one of the tweets I linked above, the sponsorship budgets for businesses is limited and some just may divert their sponsorship money away from the AD to the players so they may actually end up being competitors.
Eh, I think that concept is getting overblown a bit here. I would bet the majority of fans aren't following these college players on social media and a lot probably don't have social media at all. I think big sponsors will continue to sponsor the programs and be visible to all fans at the games and on TV.

Seems like a good time to be a lawyer/tax accountant/financial adviser for these kids and help them handle their finances. Lots of money will be coming in.
Likely comes as part of a deal they sign with representation company.

Any business owners/marketing directors/executives that are looking to sponsor and/or promote with CU football players can send me a message on here or email me chasejhowell@gmail.com
Good. We need an accounting of what CU plans to do. Or has already done.

others are making money today!!! Where is CU and the business community in all this.

elsewhere I asked Brian or Adam for an article. I don’t think they are interested.

NIL is 90 percent of my CFB timeline today. Biggest change since Title IX.

we need Buff info.

In some cases I think it's better if the family is NOT involved. But they will definitely need some guidance on this. It also allows agents to get a foot in the door early with some guys if they can now represent them during their college days and don't have to wait until they declare for the draft.
Most schools have had extensive prep sessions on NIL for their athletes. Hell, It’s even a part of PSU’s schedule for recruits taking official visits.

Back