What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

I mean the NIL is bad for CFB, but that is no reason to overreact and go full soccer

Nah my family probably would put me in a conservatorship before that happens...LOL. There are plenty of other college sports besides CFB and that's what ESPN+ is for. I'm also really anticipating the NHL on ESPN+ this coming season.

Who is going to place and enforce these parameters?

NCAA? Conferences?
The NCAA already ceded power to the conferences. Emmett basically said so last week. Conferences will staff infractions and compliance offices. Or there will be such groups when we move to Super Conferences.

Jeremy Bloom stepping up..of all former CU athletes he'd be the one that can relate most.
Thank you Jeremy...if only you were a member of the 21 class your foot print would be so large.

It was pointed out earlier in this thread, but I think it’s going to be chaos for a while until the schools and conferences can get their arms around how this is all going to play out. In another year or two, we should start to see some parameters put around how this will work. These parameters should, in theory, restore a little competitive balance. In the meantime, it’s going to be a bumpy ride where some programs just treat this like a free for all to openly buy the services of athletes.
Love the optimism. I’m going to go with the Pandora’s Box theory.

With the way the portal works now, I am waiting to see the first big time player that leaves school A, to transfer to school B because he was offered an endorsement deal.
No doubt this WILL happen.

The weirdest part of all of this to me is that I can’t think of another example of a system where an “employee” (player) receives NO money from his “employer” (school) and is ONLY allowed to be paid by unrelated third parties, while the “employer” attempts to retain all control over the “employee’s” conduct and work performance.

This bizarre economic set-up could have been avoided (or mitigated somewhat) if the schools and NCAA hadn’t greedily held on to an archaic concept of amateurism well beyond its obvious irrelevancy.

No doubt this WILL happen.

The weirdest part of all of this to me is that I can’t think of another example of a system where an “employee” (player) receives NO money from his “employer” (school) and is ONLY allowed to be paid by unrelated third parties, while the “employer” attempts to retain all control over the “employee’s” conduct and work performance.

This bizarre economic set-up could have been avoided (or mitigated somewhat) if the schools and NCAA hadn’t greedily held on to an archaic concept of amateurism well beyond its obvious irrelevancy.
Can we remove scholarships then? I mean, those aren’t worth nothing. Just imagine how much money the schools could save…you know, since the players weren’t getting anything from their “employer” anyway.

Can we remove scholarships then? I mean, those aren’t worth nothing. Just imagine how much money the schools could save…you know, since the players weren’t getting anything from their “employer” anyway.
Sure you can, but this is a free market now. Why wouldn’t good players just go to the school that gives them both?

So what would the free-market say about CU's status in college football? Will the trend point upward or downward, or straightforward? I'm thinking no change in status and I want to be wrong in that case.

So what would the free-market say about CU's status in college football? Will the trend point upward or downward, or straightforward? I'm thinking no change in status and I want to be wrong in that case.
I’d say no change. Lack of scholarships at a ton of schools like MSU/Minn/MSU/Tenn/etc would actually swing in our favor. The NIL gonna NIL.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with booster pressure when endorsement dollars get big.

If I'm paying the Alabama QB a million bucks, Saban better not bench his ass or suspend him for a violation of team rules, because if he does it directly hurts my business and Bama will never see another dime from me.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with booster pressure when endorsement dollars get big.

If I'm paying the Alabama QB a million bucks, Saban better not bench his ass or suspend him for a violation of team rules, because if he does it directly hurts my business and Bama will never see another dime from me.

Make your payment contingent on playing time. Done.

I’ve been wondering about this. Do we have any insight on if you’re allowed to place contingencies on these endorsements? Playing time? Starting? Production? Seems like that would be prohibited…

If you’re allowed to, I suggest that Allbuffs provide a $1mm endorsement for each player on the team, contingent on starting in, and winning a NC 😁

Not so much. You design campaigns around a celebrity endorser. It costs you to pull it. With this money there is going to be a ton of new outside pressures put on coaches and programs. HCs are going to lose a ton of control. It's going to be more like being a pro coach where the GM and owner will tell you who to play. Dynamic between coach and players also changes dramatically when players see their value is higher than many of those who are telling them what to do.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Athletes in college are too often treated like crap as indentured servants. Recent rules changes give athletes more power, potentially, than NFL players since the college guys are also total free agents who don't have their rights owned by who they sign with under multi-year contracts. They can transfer at any time without penalty if they think it would be a good business decision. The old days of a college HC being dictator of his little kingdom are gone.

P.S. Contingencies will be interesting in terms of what's allowed. Can I break my endorsement deal over playing time? Wins? School affiliation? Can I give stat bonuses and penalties?

I’ve been wondering about this. Do we have any insight on if you’re allowed to place contingencies on these endorsements? Playing time? Starting? Production? Seems like that would be prohibited…

If you’re allowed to, I suggest that Allbuffs provide a $1mm endorsement for each player on the team, contingent on starting in, and winning a NC 😁

Not so much. You design campaigns around a celebrity endorser. It costs you to pull it. With this money there is going to be a ton of new outside pressures put on coaches and programs. HCs are going to lose a ton of control. It's going to be more like being a pro coach where the GM and owner will tell you who to play. Dynamic between coach and players also changes dramatically when players see their value is higher than many of those who are telling them what to do.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Athletes in college are too often treated like crap as indentured servants. Recent rules changes give athletes more power, potentially, than NFL players since the college guys are also total free agents who don't have their rights owned by who they sign with under multi-year contracts. They can transfer at any time without penalty if they think it would be a good business decision. The old days of a college HC being dictator of his little kingdom are gone.

P.S. Contingencies will be interesting in terms of what's allowed. Can I break my endorsement deal over playing time? Wins? School affiliation? Can I give stat bonuses and penalties?

There are literally zero rules and regulations right now. It’s the Wild West.

There are literally zero rules and regulations right now. It’s the Wild West.
Didn't they say you couldn't offer endorsement money as a recruiting tool (i.e., "We'll pay you if you sign here.")?

By extension, would that mean I can't say, "I'll keep paying you only if you play here" or "Your endorsement deal restricts you from transferring to x,y,z schools"?

...”recieves NO money from his “employer” (school) and is ONLY allowed to be paid by an unrelated third party...”

Didn’t say that players didn’t get “anything.” Un”paid” employees often get things like free parking, an office space to work at, a computer to use... It’s called being an intern. Yet, Is there another setting where interns’ work is so valuable that a third parties pays them huge money related to their internship? Of course, you have to bring the players to campus, house them, feed them, give them classes (otherwise this isn’t a university and they can’t play football). Certainly, a scholarship is very valuable. Even Interns do what they do to get training and “work experience” to list on their resume to move on to a paying job, while players (theoretically) get an education and a degree for their resume for a slightly different purpose (other than being a football player).

The point is how strange and unbalanced THIS particular ad hoc system is... especially when you consider the massive amounts of money the player (interns) make for their schools. The interns are practically “most valuable employees,” as without them there’s no huge influx of football (or basketball) revenue.

Last edited:
Didn't they say you couldn't offer endorsement money as a recruiting tool (i.e., "We'll pay you if you sign here.")?

By extension, would that mean I can't say, "I'll keep paying you only if you play here" or "Your endorsement deal restricts you from transferring to x,y,z schools"?

When Saban said his QB was looking at seven figures already, what do you think he tried to achieve with it?

If there’s anything I’ve learned in my time of following college football rather closely it’s that at the end of the day 90% is about recruiting and that just about everything is approached with recruiting in mind.

Certainly seems College Football is no longer about football: “Where/how can I maximize my brand?” When millions of dollars are in play, every person on the field will have very reasonable motivation to “find a market,” well beyond actually playing the game.

I imagine the sidelines during games are going to take on a carnival-like, social-media-focused atmosphere, curbed only slightly by quaint old-school Coach rules (which will quickly fade into irrelevancy): XFL+ anyone? I’m putting the over-under on players being late getting onto the field at 1.25 per game.

I have always been a fan of the players getting paid, as they clearly are professional athletes. However, (nearly?) every professional sport governs and controls the flow of money in some way... not seeing even just lip-service being paid to the concept of competitive balance. Maybe it’s just going to make the present disparity worse: in this case, it (definitely) goes to 11.
College football has no central governing body. The NCAAs power has been fading. TV and the conferences run the prisons. Its because of that that the free for all you are suggesting is a very real possibility.

Back