What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

I see a lot posts that basically say "I'm all for players getting paid...but...NIL is bad for everyone but the bluebloods". Well, yeah.

There is only one way I see players getting compensated that puts all schools on equal footing. That is for the P5 programs to roll-up into one new entity, scrap the NCAA and conferences, and this new entity distributes all media revenue equally among all member schools AND to collectively bargain with all players so that they become employees of the member schools or of the new entity and all players get paid equally. Ain't gonna happen.
I don't think the "all players paid equally" needs to happen for a more equally competitive system. A salary cap would be pretty damn effective as well.

When the entire roster can only get paid for 5 years, and players can opt out to go "to the majors" any year, a hard salary/roster cap would produce competitive parity pretty well.

They key is collective bargaining.

And that's why it won't happen.

Collective bargaining is an interesting legal construct - it can cover a lot more than you think.
Please elaborate. I’m reading your above post as a possible cap on what the student-athletes make from sponsors that have nothing to do with the school they’re attending. Am interpreting your post wrong?

I don't think the "all players paid equally" needs to happen for a more equally competitive system. A salary cap would be pretty damn effective as well.

When the entire roster can only get paid for 5 years, and players can opt out to go "to the majors" any year, a hard salary/roster cap would produce competitive parity pretty well.

They key is collective bargaining.

And that's why it won't happen.
College athletes may unionize

Please elaborate. I’m reading your above post as a possible cap on what the student-athletes make from sponsors that have nothing to do with the school they’re attending. Am interpreting your post wrong?
Unions can set compensation levels for their members for anything related to the trade for which they are organized with payments that exceed that amount going to a common pot for benefits that are paid or available to all union members (pensions, health care, future tuition, etc).

Unions can set compensation levels for their members for anything related to the trade for which they are organized with payments that exceed that amount going to a common pot for benefits that are paid or available to all union members (pensions, health care, future tuition, etc).
So that includes outside of the organization? ie Nate Landman having shirts sold by DNVR?

The union.
Ok. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass (seriously).

Unions can be "collectives" in a way that a lot of Americans find foreign, but our laws still surprisingly support them. If it's compensation that is related to the labor for which the union is organized, than yes. I will note that this a "may" not a "must" of union organizing, my only point is that it could be incorporated.

I will also put as an aside that most humans are at their most "idealistic" in their teens and early 20s, so... it's not unreasonable to think that it could end up going in this direction.

Ok. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass (seriously).

Unions can be "collectives" in a way that a lot of Americans find foreign, but our laws still surprisingly support them. If it's compensation that is related to the labor for which the union is organized, than yes. I will note that this a "may" not a "must" of union organizing, my only point is that it could be incorporated.

I will also put as an aside that most humans are at their most "idealistic" in their teens and early 20s, so... it's not unreasonable to think that it could end up going in this direction.
I know you’re not being a smart ass and neither am I. I’m genuinely trying to learn here. But right now, I’m three beers and half a bottle of wine in, so I’m gonna re-read your posts at a later date and try comprehending later. Thanks for the info.

I know you’re not being a smart ass and neither am I. I’m genuinely trying to learn here. But right now, I’m three beers and half a bottle of wine in, so I’m gonna re-read your posts at a later date and try comprehending later. Thanks for the info.
+ Water
+ Naproxen
+ Workout
+ Vitamins

Good luck!

I only know what two of those things are. I’m going to try another beer instead.
This is the right answer.

I just explained, very patiently and clearly, to my 4mo old puppy that "sticking your head in a bucket rarely turns out well."

He pulled his head out before he crashed off the bench, so I think he understood?

When a college frosh wears a 900 dollar sweatshirt you know the money has to be decent

Back