What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Noyer moves to safety

Does this open the door for a grad transfer QB next year? One coming in, not (or maybe together with) Noyer transferring out?

If Tucker doesn't like any of the current QBs as his starter for next year, get a grad transfer who works and allow Lewis to RS?

Probably. I mean, odds are that your statement is correct. There is a chance that he's a good safety, though. I'm not counting on it in the least, but stranger things have happened.

But even then, don't you think he'd need a little more time than 1.5 weeks?

I also recall the announcers of that Oklahoma-LSU BCS championship game talking about Nick Saban moving offense players over to defense and it worked out for the Tigers. Perhaps that is what Tucker is doing. Gotta trust the process!
The depth and talent of a Saban coached LSU in the BCS championship, is just a teeeeeny bit different that what CU currently has. So those are not comparable situations whatsoever

John Lynch began his football career at Stanford as a backup quarterback, but transitioned to safety before his junior season.

That worked out OK. I was skeptical too, but at least someone has shown it can work.

As expected, now reported Mel called Noyer into his office.

Saves Noyer public embarrassment of being QB3 (or worse) on depth chart.

John Lynch began his football career at Stanford as a backup quarterback, but transitioned to safety before his junior season.

That worked out OK. I was skeptical too, but at least someone has shown it can work.
There have been a lot of players over the years who have successfully transitioned from QB to other positions including safety.

As @Jens1893 pointed out though I doubt that many did it within a couple weeks of the opening game. Most do it either at the start of fall camp or probably more often for spring ball.

Does this open the door for a grad transfer QB next year? One coming in, not (or maybe together with) Noyer transferring out?

If Tucker doesn't like any of the current QBs as his starter for next year, get a grad transfer who works and allow Lewis to RS?
I think so. You have a gap in your qb depth chart so makes sense to bring a grad transfer or juco qb. I guess we will find out at the end of the year if the coaches think they have the future qb's on the current roster.

But even then, don't you think he'd need a little more time than 1.5 weeks?
Probably. You'd think that a guy, even if he's really high on his football IQ and picks up the playbook fast... that he'd still be behind on techniques and in need of reps.

But the other side of that is that sometimes a guy is just better and you roll with the other stuff. On that note, to use our extreme example, I think that if Viska decided to change positions the only ones where he wouldn't be an immediate starter are OL, DL, QB and Landman's spot. I highly doubt that Noyer is that type of guy for the safety position, but we won't know until we know.

P.S. I'm really hoping he's not that guy because if Noyer is in the 2-deep at safety for CSU my assumption will be that anyone behind him probably sucks.

Walters moved from QB to safety and started very quickly.

https://cubuffs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2581

2006 (Soph.)?He played in 11 games, including 10 starts, missing the Baylor game with a stinger. He tied for fifth on the team in tackles with 57 (41 solo, one for a loss), with four third down stops, three pass deflections, two chasedowns (near sacks), a forced fumble and a recovery. He earned Big 12 Conference defensive player of the week honors for his efforts in CU’s 30-6 win over Texas Tech, as he had four tackles (two solo), two interceptions (the first pair of his career) and two third down stops. His 95-yard fumble return for a touchdown at Kansas was the second longest fumble (as well as miscellaneous) return in CU history, second only to a 96-yard one by Ben Kelly in 1999, also against Kansas; only 23 other plays in CU history were long (all returns). He was the only defensive player to score a touchdown for Colorado on the season. He had a season- and career-high 11 tackles (eight solo) in the Arizona State game, and also had eight versus Missouri and Kansas (six solo in both).

2005 (Fr.-RS)?He saw action in 12 games including the Champs Sports Bowl (he missed the KSU game with a shoulder injury). In nine games from scrimmage during the regular season, he played 163 snaps from scrimmage in making 16 tackles (12 solo), with two quarterback hurries. He had a season-high four tackles, three solo, against Texas in the Big 12 Championship game, and had three tackles against the Longhorns in the regular season and also against New Mexico State. On special teams, he logged three solo stops and two knockdown blocks in accumulating five points. He had a solo tackle in the bowl game against Clemson. He progressed rapidly during spring drills, and the coaching staff recognized his progress by naming him the recipient of the inaugural Dick Anderson Award as the most improved player on defense.

2004 (Fr.)?Redshirted; did not see any action though he practiced at free safety when healthy. He suffered a broken thumb in mid-September and missed seven weeks of practice before he could return. He was the Scout Team Defense Award winner for the Nebraska game as selected by the coaching staff. He had entered the fall as a reserve quarterback; he enrolled at CU in January after graduating from high school in December, but an illness prevented him from practicing for most of spring ball, though he got some limited non-contact work in toward the end of drills. He was moved to the secondary after fall camp began.

I think that door was already open.

Desperation is a stinky cologne. While he's at it, might as well move bisharat to safety. MM was the db guru, I know we had a couple guys leave but to have a secondary this thin? Hope this DL breaks the record for sacks, gonna need it.
Sent off to the football gods'. Summers'll have to get creative with pressure from the front 7 to keep the pressure off the secondary.

There have been a lot of players over the years who have successfully transitioned from QB to other positions including safety.

As @Jens1893 pointed out though I doubt that many did it within a couple weeks of the opening game. Most do it either at the start of fall camp or probably more often for spring ball.

For these kids' sake, I wish they could have made these moves during or after spring camp. It is one thing for the true freshman obviously, but for the other guys these late switches seem pretty rough.

For these kids' sake, I wish they could have made these moves during or after spring camp. It is one thing for the true freshman obviously, but for the other guys these late switches seem pretty rough.

Who knows but I wouldn't be shocked at all if HCMT brought it up in the exit interviews after Spring Ball but Sam decided to give it a shot for the backup QB role. Montez said Sam had talked about it a little before the switch happened.

John Lynch was a QB at Stanford and switched to safety his junior year. Went on to have a HoF career with the Bucs and Broncos.

Back