What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel Thread - How safe is Kevin Sumlin´s job?

I was talking to a Clemson guy over lunch about Spurrier's resignation from USC-East, his love of golf and propensity for pissing off his alma mater's fans.

We decided he's going to be the next offensive coordinator for Georgia. It really fits the pattern.
So...next stop, Ft Collins!

[/ramnation]

Good question. I think so, but I'll be honest and say I haven't actually heard/seen him in over five years. Does he still have a show?
Cuz there's nothing better than Mike Evans or Douche Mac to get to the hear of the matter.... Please...

Cowherd thinking USC and Texas are anything like the job at Miami is a little strange.

I agree, I think he was mostly talking about the media and how you have to suck up to them in order to get good press in Miami but I have no idea what that guy is thinking most of the time.

Cowherd speculating after he talked to someone within the USC AD that Chip Kelly is not a good fit with the big time jobs like USC, Texas or Miami because he doesn't like to deal with all the boosters, media etc.. Better for the next tier jobs.
If he doesn't want to deal with boosters or media attention, I know a perfect place for him.

IDK. He has a good gig at Stanford. Makes 7 figures with very little fan pressure or expectations.

Yeah definitely agree but coaches always seem to surprise. If the Colts are looking for a coach I would think they might look at him.

Yeah definitely agree but coaches always seem to surprise. If the Colts are looking for a coach I would think they might look at him.

I agree with this. Shaw is a Stanford alum, and though that hasn't always been enough to keep a coach at a school, I think he is happy there. He played three sports for the Cardinal. Wife is a Stanford alum, she follows them very closely (so I do by proxy), and I would tend to doubt he goes. He is a bit hard to read though... Great man overall.

If they can pluck Fangio from the Bears it´d be a total Stanford reunion with Shaw and Hamilton.

I agree with this. Shaw is a Stanford alum, and though that hasn't always been enough to keep a coach at a school, I think he is happy there. He played three sports for the Cardinal. Wife is a Stanford alum, she follows them very closely (so I do by proxy), and I would tend to doubt he goes. He is a bit hard to read though... Great man overall.

Happy or not, the NFL is the NFL ... and most coaches owe it to their egos to try themselves there if they get the chance. Only 32 jobs around there and I think it´s very hard for most to turn that chance down. That spotlight, the allure of the Super Bowl ... most answer the call sooner or later.

Good question. I think so, but I'll be honest and say I haven't actually heard/seen him in over five years. Does he still have a show?
Rome has a national radio show from 10 am - 1 pm MT that is nationally syndicated by CBS Sports Radio and he also has a TV show on Showtime. I read somewhere that CBS pays him north of $30mm/year for his radio show.

Rome has a national radio show from 10 am - 1 pm MT that is nationally syndicated by CBS Sports Radio and he also has a TV show on Showtime. I read somewhere that CBS pays him north of $30mm/year for his radio show.

The money you can make as a media personality over there amazes me. Whether it be TV or radio.

The money you can make as a media personality over there amazes me. Whether it be TV or radio.
In comparison, ESPN saved around $10mm/year by not bringing back Cowherd, Olberman and Bill Simmons at their current rates. You think those guys looked at Jim Rome and asked for a tad more? Check out this article that lists the highest paid sportscasters... From a list of the following, who would you think would be the highest paid?
Rome, Costas, Dan Patrick, Jim Nantz, Joe Buck, Al Michael, Chris Berman, and Mike Tirico. Shocking numbers to me.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/highest-paid-sportscaster-analyst-commentators/

In comparison, ESPN saved around $10mm/year by not bringing back Cowherd, Olberman and Bill Simmons at their current rates. You think those guys looked at Jim Rome and asked for a tad more? Check out this article that lists the highest paid sportscasters... From a list of the following, who would you think would be the highest paid?
Rome, Costas, Dan Patrick, Jim Nantz, Joe Buck, Al Michael, Chris Berman, and Mike Tirico. Shocking numbers to me.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/highest-paid-sportscaster-analyst-commentators/

And while I don´t want to push this thread off topic, look at what guys like Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck are getting paid to rant on a radio show.

I'm amazed that radio shows command enough advertising revenue to pay out at those rates.

I'm amazed that radio shows command enough advertising revenue to pay out at those rates.

If you can get on 300 stations it's a big audience. It's also a somewhat captive audience, lots of people in cars. And a very focused demographic, almost all male, almost all above 35. Unlike some other media a more actively engaged listener.

That's what happens when your media transitions from reporting the news to making the news.

The WWL has had to adapt and give you a reason to tune in, so they create drama and sell stories (although all sports outlets do that, they love to create stories and subplots for games). 10 years ago people tuned into SportsCenter to watch the night´s highlights, the internet and mobile devices have killed that. The WWL now sends me a push message straight to my iPhone lock screen when a great play happened on a WWL game.

The WWL has had to adapt and give you a reason to tune in, so they create drama and sell stories (although all sports outlets do that, they love to create stories and subplots for games). 10 years ago people tuned into SportsCenter to watch the night´s highlights, the internet and mobile devices have killed that. The WWL now sends me a push message straight to my iPhone lock screen when a great play happened on a WWL game.
I quit watching any sports channels, with the exception of games, a couple of years ago. In my opinion, these networks have ruined professional sports and are in the process of doing the same to amateur sports.

I didn't know Rome still had a radio show, knew about his tv gig. Jay Mohr has his time slot on Fox Sports radio here now, don't know about where u guys are.

You gotta be kidding, Rome is the highest paid by 5X?
I also wonder when Joe Buck is gonna lose the rug.

You gotta be kidding, Rome is the highest paid by 5X?
I also wonder when Joe Buck is gonna lose the rug.

this doesn't seem right. I can't believe that Rome is ahead of Costas. Maybe someone typoed a "0". 3 million/ year is still pretty good money for an un-listenable radio show.

Crazy about Rome. I haven't listened for a few years as I'm not sure he is on in Denver anymore? To me, his show is super boring. He doesn't really talk sports. He just has people call in to give their "takes" and says "tremendous". I never really understood it.

"I think USC should try and get Mike Tomlin"--Desmond Howard, just now on Gameday.

p4cpoyw.gif

Back