What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

Not sure the contract will depend on a single game. He obviously deserves a significant commitment based upon bringing us back from oblivion and a top 10 ranking.
Of course, and he will get a good extension. My point was, there's no incentive for MM's agent to have a deal in place before we know how far this team goes.

Tommy Tuberville's buy out goes from $2.4 mil to only $1.5 on December 7th, that's something to watch for.

WKU's Jeff Brohm to interview on Sunday for **** Bailer's opening.

Certainly more than Harsin,who clearly has proven he can't keep that going anywhere close to Chris Petersen.

Politically with the rivalry Oregon has with Washington, I'd be shocked if they hired Chris Petersen Lite.

Unless they hire PJ Fleck, I think Taggert is the new Ducks coach. I have a strong preference against both of these hires since they're both highly competent, energetic HCs. IMO Harsin got the meeting because there aren't too many available others who fit Oregon's style. I think Taggert and Fleck are the only two serious contenders.

Unless they hire PJ Fleck, I think Taggert is the new Ducks coach. I have a strong preference against both of these hires since they're both highly competent, energetic HCs. IMO Harsin got the meeting because there aren't too many available others who fit Oregon's style. I think Taggert and Fleck are the only two serious contenders.
I could see them hiring a strong DC type as the head coach (JMFL) and then either keep their OC or bring back Helfrich as OC. Yes he is getting a lot of money not to work, but he's a Duck thru and thru. Hiring another offensive minded HC is more of a gamble to fix that D.

I could see them hiring a strong DC type as the head coach (JMFL) and then either keep their OC or bring back Helfrich as OC. Yes he is getting a lot of money not to work, but he's a Duck thru and thru. Hiring another offensive minded HC is more of a gamble to fix that D.
Bring back the recently fired head coach for a demotion on the same team? Ummm not a chance.

Footballscoop:

Jeff Brohm: The Western Kentucky head coach has spoken with Baylor about the Bears’ opening, been offered the Purdue job and could be offered the Cincinnati job later today, according to a report from Chad Bishop of WBKO-TV.

I think there's a very good chance that Brohm decides the Cincinnati job is better for his career than either Purdue or Baylor. That place has recently sent coaches to Notre Dame and Tennessee. Great stepping stone opportunity at an AAC program that has one of the best situations in a very respected football conference. Plus, for Brohm, that would be pretty much the same recruiting grounds he's currently focusing upon. Seamless transition.

Has nothing to do with his OC abilities or where he's from. Are you serious? The division that would create in the lockerroom between Helfrich's recruits and new HC would be off the charts. Not happening.
Not in this case. Nobody in the locker room thinks Helfrich should have kept his head coaching job. I don't think Mark Helfrich even thought that.

But, you are right, it's not happening. I was trying to illustrate that what Oregon really needs is a defensive minded HC who would make them much better on that side. There's coordinators that can keep their offense humming. The best way to get them back to really good is to bring in a defensive mind.

Footballscoop:

Jeff Brohm: The Western Kentucky head coach has spoken with Baylor about the Bears’ opening, been offered the Purdue job and could be offered the Cincinnati job later today, according to a report from Chad Bishop of WBKO-TV.

I think there's a very good chance that Brohm decides the Cincinnati job is better for his career than either Purdue or Baylor. That place has recently sent coaches to Notre Dame and Tennessee. Great stepping stone opportunity at an AAC program that has one of the best situations in a very respected football conference. Plus, for Brohm, that would be pretty much the same recruiting grounds he's currently focusing upon. Seamless transition.
Brohm is a Petrino disciple, he is going places IMO. Cincy is a better gig for him for the reasons you state. Baylor is going downhill...fast. Purdue is always going to be a 6-6, 7-5 team at best. You can win 8-9 or 10 games a year at Cincy and then go to a real gig.

Cincinnati's pretty close to Louisville. Charlie Strong would settle in to that job easily and be able to recruit Florida well as an AAC school and also Ohio. Great spot to be in.

SJSU players have been advocating for them to hire Donte Williams, who just went to Nebraska. Which would be hilarious.

I'd be cautious about Jeff Brohm.

He spent 2012 as his first as an OC, at UAB, and they were pretty bad, and not that effective on offense.
He spent 2013 as the OC/QB coach under Petrino at Western Kentucky. Any judgement of the offensive success is mute given it was a Petrino led team. I would however assume he learned a lot.
He's been the head coach at WKU since then winning 8, 11, and 12 games. That all looks good. But he followed Taggart and Petrino, so he inherited well-stocked teams compared to his competition.

My concern is that he's not built anything before and Purdue is all about building. Taggart built it. So that's the risk.
He may have enough offensive acumen and overall good coaching CEO level skills to be the perfect fit. But there's some extrapolation required to get there.

The upside of the Brohm news is that he is just the latest coach to successfully leverage Baylor in the negotiations with the team he actually wanted to coach for, so that is yet another name that had emerged for Baylor to tell them thanks but no thanks. Its starting to look like Dykes or bust for **** Baylor, and they are decidedly 'meh' on Dykes which is entertaining.

I'm curious where Fleck ends up now, right now its basically Oregon left for open P5 jobs right, so if not there then his best options would be Cincy or Houston?

Back