What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

A little surprised by aTm. If Sumlin wins, he finishes 8-4. 67% win percentage and a bowl every year at aTm. In a 12 win schedule, that win percentage translates into an 8-4 season, every year. aTm is not Bama.

A little surprised by aTm. If Sumlin wins, he finishes 8-4. 67% win percentage and a bowl every year at aTm. In a 12 win schedule, that win percentage translates into an 8-4 season, every year. aTm is not Bama.
Did you see the kind of money they spent on facilities and what they're paying Sumlin? The AD and boosters are not getting their money's worth.

Did you see the kind of money they spent on facilities and what they're paying Sumlin? The AD and boosters are not getting their money's worth.
I doubt they ever will. aTm in the B12 was a place where one could get to 10 wins every few years. Doing that in the SEC is a lot harder.

Ability to recruit?

Doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to upgrade over BL's. Looking at our classes through the years, the only kid I recall him being the primary recruiter on is Steven Montez. In addition, Buffstampede lists him as the primary recruiter on exactly NONE of our commitments for this coming year. I see Chiaverini's name a number of times, Adams once, and Ross Els once.

Last edited:
Haven't read thru this whole thread so I may be repeating some things which have already been said.

I think Chip Kelly ends up at Florida because he will have much more backing from the AD and the university, plus Florida is a Nike school.

If Auburn loses to Bama I think Malzahn will end up at Arkansas. I wouldn't be surprised if Jimbo goes to A&M, he reportedly wants out of Tallahassee and A&M certainly has the money. Tennessee will probably end up getting Dan Mullen because it doesn't look like Gruden is going to happen.

Another name to keep an eye on is Justin Fuente especially if Auburn or FSU opens up.

Haven't read thru this whole thread so I may be repeating some things which have already been said.

I think Chip Kelly ends up at Florida because he will have much more backing from the AD and the university, plus Florida is a Nike school.

If Auburn loses to Bama I think Malzahn will end up at Arkansas. I wouldn't be surprised if Jimbo goes to A&M, he reportedly wants out of Tallahassee and A&M certainly has the money. Tennessee will probably end up getting Dan Mullen because it doesn't look like Gruden is going to happen.

Another name to keep an eye on is Justin Fuente especially if Auburn or FSU opens up.
Apparently a 3rd team has reached out the chip after his ucla meeting and I am going to guess it is A&M.

A&M could be exactly what he's looking for. I'd like to see that, actually.
Chip to A&M and frost to Florida would be huge for CU to keep them away from Nebraska and ucla. Now just need taggart to get the **** out of Oregon and we are all good, I’m surprised Tennessee isn’t involved with him considering the report he wants to get back to the south.

Chip to A&M and frost to Florida would be huge for CU to keep them away from Nebraska and ucla. Now just need taggart to get the **** out of Oregon and we are all good, I’m surprised Tennessee isn’t involved with him considering the report he wants to get back to the south.
You know the guy I'm surprised I haven't heard in connection with Tennessee? Tee Martin. Dude's been damn good as USC's offensive coordinator and he QB'd the last Tennessee national championship. How is he not on the short list for the Vols?

You know the guy I'm surprised I haven't heard in connection with Tennessee? Tee Martin. Dude's been damn good as USC's offensive coordinator and he QB'd the last Tennessee national championship. How is he not on the short list for the Vols?

Tennessee and the Haslams will be looking for a big-name hire this time. I don't see them going for an assistant from a big program or a head coach who has had good success at a G5 program.

As I heard it, it was more like Stitt was interested if CU hired a defensive HC who stayed out of his meetings & was totally hands off. That won't fly.

I like Stitt a lot, though. And circumstances change. CU's not a dumpster fire, there's a stronger AD he can't bully, and Stitt just got fired so his leverage is different (especially for what would be a big pay increase & higher profile job than he had).
People’s job requirements can be very different when they are comfortably employed vs. unemployed.

Not a big enough name. They are going after guys like Mullen and Gruden. They want a guy who has been a successful head coach.

I agree that Martin is due a promotion. I just don’t think it’ll happen at Tennessee. At least not now. My best guess is he will end up at one of the secondary openings.

zUiRgb8.gif

He's no Urban Meyer though...

The up and down stuggles at Utah put him on par with MM imho. He's not elite.

Yeah, but they've been in bowls all but two years they've been in the conference. He's a really, really good football coach.

Last edited:
He's no Urban Meyer though...

The up and down stuggles at Utah put him on par with MM imho. He's not elite.

There is a lot real estate between Urban Meyer and MM. Saying Whittingham is on par with MM is being really generous to MM.

Florida is planning to move on to Scott Frost after thanksgiving if they don't get something done with Chipper. Where would we rather see him? He winds up in Gainesville, and that may mean Husker Jesus decides to go home............He winds up at UCLA and he's back in our league, but Nebraska would probably miss out on Frost-who would take Florida more than likely in that scenario.

Florida is planning to move on to Scott Frost after thanksgiving if they don't get something done with Chipper. Where would we rather see him? He winds up in Gainesville, and that may mean Husker Jesus decides to go home............He winds up at UCLA and he's back in our league, but Nebraska would probably miss out on Frost-who would take Florida more than likely in that scenario.
I believe that CU's best scenario is for Chip to go to aTm and Frost to go to UF.

Also, heard speculation yesterday about Petrino to Tennessee.

Now THAT is a good hire for UT. Would make them instant contenders given the recruiting they’ve had the last few years. Food cart isn’t leaving the cupboard bare.

I believe that CU's best scenario is for Chip to go to aTm and Frost to go to UF.

Petrino would flop in Knoxville, seems like a poor fit (environment will be a pressure cooker). However if Petrino did bolt, Louisville is an underrated job IMO.

Back